How to / DIY > Engines

piston cylinder

(1/4) > >>

wrightkiller:
How hard is it to change a piston cylinder and does one need to have a
press to do so?????? has any one done this????/

dkwflight:

Hi  I am speaking out of turn 'cause I haven't done this, but.
The sleaves on Detroit diesels were pulled with a "Slap Hammer". It is a slideing weight on a bar. You need a fitting like a heavy washer with a step in the side to fit the cylinder. This can be made easily on a lathe. The idea is to help hold the driver in the bore. The fit is not critical and you may be able to borrow one from you frendly neighborhood diesel mechanic.
It may not need anything more than dropping the cylinder on a plank to jar it loose.
How difficult this will be depends on how much time the cylinder has been in place.
Getting the cylinder assy off the studs may present a problem too.  Possibly a cold chisel in the gasket could help here.
Good luck
Dennis

mobile_bob:
you will likely not be able to pull the liner with a slide hammer, as the o-ring seals at the bottom of the liner will hold it pretty tight (that is if it is a wet liner)

you might get it out if it is a dry liner using this method, might

in either event you will need a puller plate that fits the bottom of the sleeve as Dennis suggested, it is stepped to fit into the liner/sleeve and its OD is smaller than the outside diameter of the sleeve (this is important as you can severely scar the casting if you get it cocked.

usually a screw puller will bring it out.

why do you need to pull it?  is it worn, cracked or?

bob g

cujet:
I used a press to push out my sleeve. It did not take much press force, but I suspect I could NOT do it by jumping on the sleeve. I tried using a 5 pound hammer and wood, while the cylinder is placed on 2 blocks of wood. That did not work.

The 2 "O" rings will hold the sleeve in fairly tightly, so a slide hammer is not a good idea. I guess 500 pounds force is required. Threaded rod would make enough force.

The installation was another story. The sleeves did not want to seat all the way down. It took massive force with the press, and finally I used the cylinder head without a head gasket to force the sleeves down.

Chris

mobile_bob:
cujet:

what did you use to lubricate your o rings?

bob g

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version