Puppeteer

Author Topic: 16-2 Fuel Pumps  (Read 46 times)

listerclone

• View Profile
16-2 Fuel Pumps
« on: April 11, 2024, 03:53:16 AM »
Hi, I am having trouble getting the fuel pumps to work on this 16-2 Listeroid.  They are both installed and the fuel feed is solid.  If I loosen a banjo bolts lots of fuel leaks out.  I have the fuel lines to the injectors removed so the pumps are open on top.  When spinning the engine by hand (w/decompression) I can see the camshaft followers moving up and down and they are operating the fuel pump plungers.  There is no fuel coming out of either pump.  I have taken one of the pumps apart and it looks like new inside.
Any Ideas?  Dan

ajaffa1

• View Profile
Re: 16-2 Fuel Pumps
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2024, 10:33:36 AM »
Hi Dan, is the rack fully open? Normally the rack is fully closed when it is pulled to the left and fully open when pushed to the right, if the rack is closed it turns off the fuel and you will get no spill from the top of the injector pump. Bryce injector pumps have a bleed screw near the top of the injector pump, i`m not so sure about the Indian Mico injector pumps, if there is a bleed screw bleed it till it runs free of air bubbles and try again.

Bob

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2024, 05:30:46 PM »
As Bob said the racks need to be open, from the linkage end that would be towards you. Next turn the fuel on and remove the high pressure line on the #1 side which is on the right when your looking at the oil pump and push rods.  Then loosen the fitting on the pump and remove it with your fingers. Watch as there is a spring under it. Then lift the delivery valve off its seat and wait for the bubbles to stop and then replace everything. Then go to the #2 side and do same. Do to the shape of the cross over line line you must let the fuel flow briskly to bleed it. A trickle or a few drops does not bleed it. After this you should have fuel coming from both pumps and you can finish bleeding the lines and injectors
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

listerclone

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2024, 09:19:45 PM »
Thanks for the answers.  As far as the rack is concerned I did operate the rack from end to end as I was spinning the motor.
I don't understand the stuff about the high pressure line.  This is a gravity feed system that supplies fuel to a banjo bolt on the side of each pump.  Loosening a banjo bolt results in lots of fuel leaking, not just a trickle.  What am I missing?

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Today at 01:54:46 AM »
You bled the infeed, that's only half the job. The line on top of the pump  going to the injector is the high pressure side. you can spin the crank for a long time and will eventually bled out or you can do it the easy way as I discribed in my first reply.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel