Author Topic: stop Those Runaways  (Read 5837 times)

bitsnpieces1

• View Profile
stop Those Runaways
« on: June 16, 2006, 02:09:00 AM »
  I've been thinking about how to make these engines safer for all this tinkering I plan to be doing.  I plan to install an air shutoff valve.  Surely someone here has experience with ?Cummins? (I think) 2-stroke truck engines.  Ours had an emergency shutoff flapper valve between the supercharger and the cylinders.  You could pull a handle in the cab, release a catch on the valve  and the flapper would shut, cutting off all air to the engine.  I'm trying to work out how to get one to fit in the intake line.  Just move the intake away from the head a bit and insert a block with the valve in it.  Then string a cord from the release to a doorway, which would allow you to release the cutoff from anywhere the cord was at. 
  Anybody have a good idea about the design & manufacture?  Perhaps add a spring mechanism to load a brass gate valve used for water pipe. 
Lister Petter AC1, Listeroid 12/1, Briggs & Stratton ZZ, various US Mil. surplus engines. Crosley (American) 4cyl marine engine(26hp).

GuyFawkes

• View Profile
    • stuff
Re: stop Those Runaways
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2006, 02:26:29 AM »
big ball bearing held back by a pin, drop onto a seat by gravity
--
Original Lister CS 6/1 Start-o-matic 2.5 Kw (radiator conversion)
3Kw 130 VDC Dynamo to be added. (compressor + hyd pump)
Original Lister D, megasquirt multifuel project, compressor and truck alternator.
Current status - project / standby, Fuel, good old pump diesel.

sid

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2006, 04:17:21 AM »
if you have a runaway/ you only have a few seconds to stop it/   you have to be close by and really brave to shut it down// you do not know where to try to out run the pieces as it blow up or try to shut it down//almost any way to shut the air supply off will work but you have to get close to it or have a long rope//sid
15 hp fairbanks morris1932/1923 meadows mill
8 hp stover 1923
8 hp lg lister
1932 c.s bell hammer mill
4 hp witte 1917
5 hp des jardin 1926
3 hp mini petters
2hp hercules 1924
1 1/2 briggs.etc

Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2006, 12:18:53 PM »
big ball bearing held back by a pin, drop onto a seat by gravity

That and or a billiard ball...2.25"/ 5.7cm dia.
I use billiard balls as check valves in a pump that I build for my business. They funtion exactly like the balls in a Lister oil pump...only bigger...

Joe
Nothing is easy...if it were...anybody could do it.

2005 Power Solutions  6/1-ST5

bitsnpieces1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2006, 01:22:19 PM »
  Things are sounding good. Could make up one or buy a ball check valve from water/wastewater supplier.  Drill a hole through body for the pin.  Thinking a standard flapper check valve wouldn't work because too much danger that flapper would crack from hammering, happend to me a good bit on pressure lines.  Could use black iron pipe and fit one piece inside a larger one, to create a seat for a ball (billiard soft enough to seat without breaking) that would be a close but loose fit in the larger one.  Then just put a 90 on the bottom and the top. 
  Plan to use cord like a safety cutoff on machinery.  Tie cord to release pin then run through eyes, from engine via a good route all the way to a doorway.  That way you could trip the ball from almost any point in the room. 
Lister Petter AC1, Listeroid 12/1, Briggs & Stratton ZZ, various US Mil. surplus engines. Crosley (American) 4cyl marine engine(26hp).

Andre Blanchard

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2006, 01:51:23 PM »
Here is an off the shelf shut-off, probably cost more then your engine.
http://www.mckenziecorp.com/air_intake_valve.htm

Most pulling tractor guys use something a little simpler, just a spring loaded sheet metal gate valve.
Here is a picture of the guts of such a valve, an adaptor plate would be added to each side as needed to mount it up.  I think most small time pullers just make there own valve.
http://www.tractorshed.com/cgi-bin/photoads/classifieds.cgi?search_and_display_db_button=on&db_id=138525&query=retrieval

Note the valve does not have to make a perfect air tight seal, just stop enough of the air.

bitsnpieces1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2006, 09:13:24 PM »
  Here's one using Guys and Joe suggestions. 

http://listerengine.com/coppermine/index.php?cat=10053
« Last Edit: June 16, 2006, 09:16:44 PM by bitsnpieces1 »

sid

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2006, 09:45:14 PM »
years ago it was normal to have a cut out on your car exhaust/ pull a cable and a flap would divert the exaust straight out and down bypassing the muffler..the town and country setting as we called it. the same cut out would stop the intake air on a lister or petter// they use to be available  from j.c.whitney but I have not cheked in years/but it would be a simple,cheap and easy to shut one down from a distance//sid
8 hp stover 1923
8 hp lg lister
4 hp witte 1917
5 hp des jardin 1926
3 hp mini petters
2hp hercules 1924
1 1/2 briggs.etc

sid

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2006, 09:51:01 PM »
a google search turned up one on j.c.whitney (Exhaust Cutout Cast Iron ZX241628R )  $39.95///sid
8 hp stover 1923
8 hp lg lister
4 hp witte 1917
5 hp des jardin 1926
3 hp mini petters
2hp hercules 1924
1 1/2 briggs.etc

bitsnpieces1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2006, 10:40:46 PM »
  Looks good too.  Cap off the direct discharge part and hookup the Listeroid intake pipe for a direct shot through.  Just pull the arm and close the flapper to stop the engine.  Les

sid

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2006, 11:17:50 PM »
should be very little trouble to put it in the intake/it may not seal very tight but it will slow it down enough to either get away or get it shut down//sid
8 hp stover 1923
8 hp lg lister
4 hp witte 1917
5 hp des jardin 1926
3 hp mini petters
2hp hercules 1924
1 1/2 briggs.etc