Puppeteer

Author Topic: Ernesto no match for Listeroid  (Read 12017 times)

Twinscrew

• View Profile
Re: Ernesto no match for Listeroid
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2006, 12:36:54 PM »
I put a brass or bronze thrust washer at the red dot. I did it mainly to get my IP lobe centered over the roller. It also reduced the lateral play to about .010" and gave a little more offset on the lifters.

Thanks Geno. A picture is worth a thousand words. Man, your cam thrust measurment must have been huge. I'll run this idea by Pops and see if he'll go for it.

bitsnpieces1

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2006, 01:13:25 PM »
but that sure looks like a 6/1, not a 12/2
It's neither. It's a 12/1. Unless.........a 6/1 can make 10kw.  :o

Yep. like mine.  Anand 12/1 is basically a 6/1 with a 5.12 bore instead of 4.5 and 1000 rpm instead of 650.  I don't really see much of a problem converting a 6/1 to a 12/1.  sleeve, piston, rings, flywheels(maybe), IP/injector(maybe). 
Lister Petter AC1, Listeroid 12/1, Briggs & Stratton ZZ, various US Mil. surplus engines. Crosley (American) 4cyl marine engine(26hp).

Twinscrew

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2006, 01:44:26 PM »
Thanks, bitsnpieces. Does that mean that externally they appear identical? This would explain Procrustes confusion.

firefly

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2006, 01:44:48 PM »
Seems these anand engines have similar qualities. I have a 6/1 and the cam lobes are not offset by as much as I have seen on other engines. They are not exactly centered under the tappet but just barely offset. My tappets were not rotating and I was told that I would have to do cam work to make them rotate. I ended up pulling the tappets and aside from having a terrible surface finish the intake tappet was not even close to square.
After grinding them square they rotate very well. Both tappets rotate about 1/3 of a turn per lift.

Can anyone tell me how to use the insert image button?

View of camshaft
http://griffinslab.com/listeroid/viewthroughthefrontaccesspanel.html
- Powerline 6/1  ST5
- BMW 524TD

Twinscrew

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2006, 02:02:21 PM »
Thanks Firefly. Maybe the lifters will have to ground before they rotate. I have not seen them myself. I don't know how bad they may or may not be.

Can anyone tell me how to use the insert image button?
Just copy your picture link to your clipboard. Select the "insert image" icon above the smileys (second from left). Place your cursor between the two sets of brackets and paste your link from your clipboard.

bitsnpieces1

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2006, 02:08:35 PM »
Thanks, bitsnpieces. Does that mean that externally they appear identical? This would explain Procrustes confusion.

As far as I can tell, they pretty much look the same.  There could be external differences like filter, etc., but that could just be a manufacture spec. difference. 
Lister Petter AC1, Listeroid 12/1, Briggs & Stratton ZZ, various US Mil. surplus engines. Crosley (American) 4cyl marine engine(26hp).

binnie

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2006, 04:05:01 PM »
The heavier flywheels on his engine are a dead give away that it is not a 6/1. binnie
Listeroid 12/2 Jkson with 10kw head, for backup now on diesel. Future interests: WVO, bio,  Cogen - Heat exchangers - solar.

Twinscrew

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2006, 04:17:02 PM »
The heavier flywheels on his engine are a dead give away that it is not a 6/1. binnie
Thanks binnie. I'm learning a lot today! Heavy they are, indeed. Somewhere around 200 lbs. apiece. Watch your toes when pullin' em' off. :o

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2006, 05:23:24 AM »
To reset camshaft position you may only need to turn the collar around that holds it in place.

The great thing about these engines are that they're so easy to adjust if needed and repaired at home.
7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

Twinscrew

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2006, 06:40:05 PM »
To reset camshaft position you may only need to turn the collar around that holds it in place.
Could this cause any cam gear alignment issues?

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2006, 06:55:19 PM »

Could this cause any cam gear alignment issues?

Usually it helps the alignment instead of hurts it.

I think some of these cams are made and assembled by sub-contractors.  Most are exactly right in the spacing of the timing gear, fuel lobe and valve lobes...they are in the proper position, but the whole camshaft is shifted one way or another by the "workman" who sets the collar.  If a cam lobe is not hitting a tappet correctly the chances are the timing gear is off by the same amount.
7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

Procrustes

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2006, 09:31:57 PM »

I don't know about that.  When I saw '12/1' I thought '12/2'.

Twinscrew

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2006, 01:04:14 AM »
If a cam lobe is not hitting a tappet correctly the chances are the timing gear is off by the same amount.
Thanks, Hotater. That stands to reason.