Author Topic: Lister type with total enclosed valve train, ie. can't see the pushrods or tappe  (Read 4726 times)

buickanddeere

• View Profile
  Is there such an animal as a Lister type twin that does not have the pushrods and tappets out in plain view. And require drooling some lube on them every day or two? My 2-53 Detroit two stroke in the tractor already"oils" everything/everyone nearby.Something where the entire engine is sealed and self lubed?
    Can't trust the wife or kids to either regularly lube or avoid getting caught in rotating equipment. They had the lawn mower crankcase empty again today. Must be the synthetic lubricant, can't explain how the engine hasn't seized several times by now. 
     I would rather avoid the Petter type as 650 rpm vs. 1500 rpm operation is desired.
  If 650 to 1000rpm operation Lister can not be had. I may as well direct couple a ST alternator to an ordinary1800 rpm JD tractor engine genset type of deal. 
  I grew up on the old two cylinder john Deere's where rpms at full rated load is a screaming fast 975 or 1125 rpm. The sound and feel  kind of gets in your blood.
  The plan is a 20KW or larger co-generation project for winter and summer usage.

hotater

• View Profile
B&D---

Use a half and half mix of anti-seize and 30W in the cups and relube them once a month or so.   Put a grease cup on the rocker shaft and give that a 16th of a turn every month, too.  That's it.

You might check ebay-UK for Ruston singles.  I came very close to bidding on one not long ago....8 HP, 700 RPM, fat, dual flywheels and enclosed valve train.
7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

Doug

Buickanddeere:

There are some very special Petter types with 120mm bore and 120mm stroke being made in India that are governed at much lower speeds that 1500 rpm. But as far as I can tell no one has brought one in and evaluated any of the realy big singles. There are also the twins with variable speed goveners, there are some in the USA I know off but still crated, others might be running big twins at lower speeds but the subject hasn't come up.

Doug 

dkwflight

• View Profile
Hi Take a minute and look here for a really fine line of Brit engines

http://www.gardner-enthusiast.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi

Dennis
28/2 powersolutions JKSon -20k gen head
Still in devlopment for 24/7 operation, 77 hours running time

dkwflight

• View Profile
Hi  You should get a JD Diesel and make it a stationary engine!
Dennis
28/2 powersolutions JKSon -20k gen head
Still in devlopment for 24/7 operation, 77 hours running time

cujet

• Lister power rules!
    • View Profile
    • www.cujet.com
Before you get too hung up on RPM, remember that piston speed, piston ring swept area and bearing surface speed can be lower on higher RPM engines.

Low RPM does not mean long life. In fact, I suspect good engineering is far more important than low speed. I submit the aircraft turbine engine as an example. There have been examples of airworthy engines having 50,000 houirs before overhaul.

Chris
People who count on their fingers should maintain a discreet silence

cujet

• Lister power rules!
    • View Profile
    • www.cujet.com
I forgot to add that marine diesel gensets regularly go 30,000 hours before any significant maintenance. My bosses boat has 3 gensets that each went 30K trouble free hours.

Chris
People who count on their fingers should maintain a discreet silence

buickanddeere

• View Profile
   As for rpm I find the slower the putt putt putt the better. Running all those two cylinder John Deeres as a kid must have been the culprit.  And the fact guests/visiters can almost count the flywheel rotations a bonus.
   I found engines by G.G. Automotive and Loveson that claim to be 100% enclosed?
   Topland seems to be the displacement winner with 2X 155 by 177.8 on thier 825 rpm 20/2.Vijay and Anand are large and slow too.