Author Topic: Ernesto no match for Listeroid  (Read 12025 times)

Twinscrew

• View Profile
Ernesto no match for Listeroid
« on: August 31, 2006, 01:45:34 AM »
My father just finished his Listeroid generator project this week just in time for Tropical Storm, er, Hurricane, er, Tropical Storm, er, Tropical Depression, er, Light Drizzle Ernesto. It seems as though Ernesto lost his cajones, which means that Pops will have to wait for another storm to officially commision his Listeroid powered generator into service. Ernesto is passing over us (Daytona Beach) as I type. Here are the pics of the finished project.

The project breaks down like this;
Pops has a 10-kw, 4-pole, self exciting ST generator head belt driven by an Anand 12/1 which are mounted atop a 24"x24"x48" concrete block. The engine was not what I would consider a "jumper". He started his engine many times, unbolted, for everyone who stopped by for a beer. It would move, of course, but more of what I would call "skating" around on the concrete. Not much either. The engine had no significant issues as some on the forum have had. No sand in the crankcase, for instance. The tappets don't rotate but he's not concerned about it. My brother, gpkull, pulled the flywheels and dynamic balanced them to "0 imbalance" on a big truck wheel balancer (Dad's 12/1 is internally balanced) just for good measure. I don't know that it needed it, however, it certainly couldn't hurt. The only other modification was the addition of a "cheapie" import muffler. The base was formed up around a welded 3/4" rebar cage to which the anchor bolts were also welded and then poured solid, which took (25) 80lbs. bags of Quickcrete. The engine and Gen head are anchor bolted to a 3/8" steel plate with a 1/4" sheet of conveyer belt material underneath. This all sits, drilled and pinned, atop a 5" fiber impregnated concrete slab. The cooling system consists of a Ford pickup radiator (6.9 Diesel) affixed to an extruded aluminum stand w/ a household box fan which is wired to start and run as soon as the generator makes power. As you can see this is one sweet looking Gen set. I may have to retire my gas Briggs & Stratton "screamer"and step up to a slowspeed oil burner. My fiance knows nothing about engines but even she thinks it's cool. She asked me " Are we getting one of those?" ;)

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Ernesto no match for Listeroid
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006, 02:09:11 AM »
get it quick before she talks to one of her older girlfriends or mom!  :)

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

Doug

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2006, 02:13:23 AM »
I'd look into fixing the lifter rotation problem....

Doug

t19

• Tanks and Lister... Heavy Metal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2006, 02:47:44 AM »
Thats a large rad, does it run hot enough??
There is plenty of room for all of Gods creatures... right next to the mashed potatoes...

Twinscrew

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2006, 03:55:00 AM »
Thats a large rad, does it run hot enough??
Yes, as far as I know, it's an unpressurised system. He tested several setups and settled on this one. This will probably not be the overkill it appears to be on a 95-100 degree day at full load after a hurricane passes.

I'd look into fixing the lifter rotation problem....
As I said. He's not concerned about it. This is to be back-up power in case of interruptions in grid power. He has no plans to go off-grid (as far as I know).

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2006, 04:07:39 AM »
Twinscrew---

The reason the tappets rotate is to lubricate them.   I'm off grid....I HAVE back-up power.  He *needs* back-up, not break-downs.    ;)

Pull 'em and send them to me and I'll grind them flat.
7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

Twinscrew

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2006, 04:21:28 AM »
Pull 'em and send them to me and I'll grind them flat.
Thanks Hotater. I asked him about this and he said that they don't rotate because the cam lobes were pinned centered under the lifter (which would make sense- no spin). So, it would be a matter of removing the cam, drilling and re-pinning the lobes off center from the tappets. I personally would do it. I believe in lifter/pusrod rotation for long term life. My father, however, is not concerned about it. If you'd like to try to convince him otherwise, more power to ya. You don't know Pops. ;D

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2006, 04:30:08 AM »
Twinscrew--

You might be able to shim the whole cam to one side and get in lined up under the tappets just offcenter.  I had to do that with mine.
7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

Twinscrew

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2006, 04:33:32 AM »
get it quick before she talks to one of her older girlfriends or mom!
Not to worry Bob. Lately, she talks to mom more than I do. :-\  We both have condos on the beachside at the moment ( no room for a Listeroid ).
However, we hope to build a house on the mainland in the near future and I'm thinkin' dedicated Listeroid shed.  ;D

Twinscrew

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2006, 04:39:31 AM »
Hotater, I never about that and I bet my father hasn't either. How did you go about that? Some sort of thrust bushing? He might go for something like that. I think he'll be reading this thread at some point. I called him tonight and told him that his Listeroid pics were posted on the forum.

Twinscrew

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2006, 04:46:51 AM »
Hotater, I never about that and I bet my father hasn't either
There is a "thought" missing there somewhere. It's late, I'm going to bed.

Procrustes

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2006, 06:40:17 AM »
I'm trying to state this delicately, because I don't want Pops to make me his bitch like he did with Ernesto -- but that sure looks like a 6/1, not a 12/2.  What am I missing?  Nice installation by the way.

xyzer

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2006, 07:16:25 AM »
12/1
Vidhata 6/1 portable
Power Solutions portable 6/1
Z482 KUBOTA

Twinscrew

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2006, 12:13:22 PM »
but that sure looks like a 6/1, not a 12/2
It's neither. It's a 12/1. Unless.........a 6/1 can make 10kw.  :o

Geno

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2006, 12:18:57 PM »
Nice setup.

I put a brass or bronze thrust washer at the red dot. I did it mainly to get my IP lobe centered over the roller. It also reduced the lateral play to about .010" and gave a little more offset on the lifters.

Thanks, Geno