Author Topic: ST head indicator light question?  (Read 1370 times)

38ac

• View Profile
ST head indicator light question?
« on: June 13, 2023, 11:26:01 PM »
The "on" indicator lamp on my 15KW ST head has failed and it has no markings. Trying to figure out what voltage it is by running the generator and getting all kinds of readings on my digital meter no matter if  set to AC or DC. ???.  Does anyone know what the lamp voltage is supposed to be??

I know the on/off switch only controls the light bulb. This is a stand by set and is kinda nice to know the head is producing before I throw the switches. I can always run a small 110V lamp off the mains I guess.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

BruceM

• View Profile
Re: ST head indicator light question?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2023, 07:58:42 AM »
You can get a neon power indicator bulb replacement at Digikey or Mouser, or even Amazon.
You can buy them as small plug in, neon night lights also.

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2023, 12:21:44 AM »
Hi Bruce,  I see on eBay there are indicator mights that are almost universal voltage? 6V to 300V or so? Are those what you are talking about?

glassblower

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2023, 03:33:57 AM »
38ac, I can go out and check my ST head in the morning but I think it what they call a NE2 neon bulb. I might have some in my part drawers. I send you some if I have them. Probably something like this:

https://a.co/d/etPwkO2
8-1 Powerline, 6-1 Powerline, Automann 8-1, Lister Petter AC1, Hatz, Rumely Oilpulls

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2023, 03:56:58 AM »
Butch, I'm not aware of a universal voltage indicator lamp of any kind. 
I checked and it seems small neon night lights are no longer being made, they are LED instead.

The neon bulbs Glassblower linked to seem a perfect replacement element for your ST power indicator.

Bruce

Powdermonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2023, 01:39:07 PM »
The "on" indicator lamp on my 15KW ST head has failed and it has no markings. Trying to figure out what voltage it is by running the generator and getting all kinds of readings on my digital meter no matter if  set to AC or DC. ???.  Does anyone know what the lamp voltage is supposed to be??

I know the on/off switch only controls the light bulb. This is a stand by set and is kinda nice to know the head is producing before I throw the switches. I can always run a small 110V lamp off the mains I guess.

38AC- Please check out my last video posted.  I've got a combo Voltage/frequency/hour meter on my gen set, wired directly to the output lines.  As soon as the engine's spinning, I can reference "truth".  Darned thing was only ~ $25.00, and has lasted more than 1,000 hours.  Looks cheap, but can't argue with the results. 

Here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/121389718642

glassblower

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2023, 02:36:19 PM »
Powdermonkey is right, buy one of the combo hertz, voltage current or hour meters for cheap and you can see what your unit is doing. I have some of these neon lamps in a yellow 1/2" mount case if you want them, I'll ship you a couple. Nothing wrong with KISS (keep it simple stupid) method.
8-1 Powerline, 6-1 Powerline, Automann 8-1, Lister Petter AC1, Hatz, Rumely Oilpulls

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2023, 02:42:35 AM »
Butch, I looked and did find an ebay seller with indicators offered for a wide range of voltages; but they are different for each voltage range offered. They were all LED indictors.   For DC, a different resistor for each voltage range for current limiting.  For AC, a diode or diode bridge with capacitor between AC and bridge and then a resistor for current limiting.  These would be fine for an AC power indicator, instead of a neon bulb.
Bruce

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2023, 01:34:41 PM »
Thanks all! Bruce I glanced at those ads and didn't know you had to specify voltage, pretty smart eh?
Thanks for the tips I purchased one of these readouts to put in the gen shed.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2023, 01:37:57 PM by 38ac »

glassblower

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2023, 05:57:05 PM »
Crazy isn't it ? , All that technology for $14.49 free shipping.

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2023, 10:33:51 PM »
Installed the new panel readout today. For $20 every one with a stand by set should have one I think?