Author Topic: 6/1 generator build  (Read 887 times)

glassblower

• View Profile
6/1 generator build
« on: May 23, 2023, 02:35:16 PM »
Picked up this 6/1 last fall, started cutting and welding on the frame to mount a generator and move the engine. Lots of adjustment on the generator base. Strut in both directions plus a slide base for belt tension. I have several various ST heads and L belts so this will accommodate any head and take anywhere from a L91.5" belt to a 106" belt.  Putting the 6/1 in the center of the frame so I can place a mill on the other end for grinding wheat and corn off the second flywheel.
8-1 Powerline, 6-1 Powerline, Automann 8-1, Lister Petter AC1, Hatz, Rumely Oilpulls

glassblower

• View Profile
Re: 6/1 generator build
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2023, 02:54:17 PM »
After running out of Argon and getting a new bottle I finished up the engine mount while fighting the wind blowing my shield gas. Removed the Generator dog house and will pull wires up into a control box with the exception of the bridge rectifier. The control box will have a contactor, breaker and voltage monitor relay along with Current, volts, Hertz, and hour meter. The voltage monitor relay will pick up the contactor when the generator voltage is within a good range (probably 210-250 volts) and drop out outside of this range. This is to drop out the generator on a shut down with a load to save the charge on the field. Bottom of the box will have a 30 amp twist lock plug to plug my 8 gauge SO cord in to the barn.
8-1 Powerline, 6-1 Powerline, Automann 8-1, Lister Petter AC1, Hatz, Rumely Oilpulls

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2023, 11:36:45 PM »
Very nice work. Welding in the wind can be very challenging but it looks to have come out OK. A 30 Amp outlet is a bit excessive, the 6/1 will stall at between 10 and 15 amps.
Looking forward to the rest of your build.

Bob

glassblower

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2023, 02:31:18 AM »
Yes, everything is oversized like the 7.5 kw gen head and I have a 8/1 that needs gone through that I'll swap out at a later date. Figured I would get the bugs worked out with this build and provide power to the barn until I can fix the 8/1 in time. Plus the 30 amp plug matches my 7kw  3600 rpm screamer so all the plugs are identical.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2023, 10:54:47 PM »
Hi Glassblower, sounds like a plan. I am planning to fit an electrical inlet on the outside of my shed, this will allow me to hookup any one of my many generators when we get power outages.
Be warned the 8/1 is only a 6/1 with an aluminium piston allowing more RPMs, you will need a smaller pulley on the ST if you want to use that extra horsepower.

Bob

glassblower

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2023, 01:41:56 PM »
Yep, have it covered with both a 8 1/2" and 9 1/4" pulley for both 6/1 and 8/1.  Long term will probably automate the start / stop with a micro controller and monitor speed and temperature. I think BruceM did something similar to his. Too much on my plate at the moment, trying to get a barn concreted with PEX in the floor, designing and building a tilting pole structure for two solar arrays with 12 panels each, getting power trenched in back from the main road and clearing trees for a house maybe next year. Gets harder to do every year as I get older and I'm over 60 now.  This Lister project is more of a fun project than work with a future purpose to me. 

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2023, 11:44:40 PM »
I know exactly where you are coming from, I`m just short of retirement myself. Doing stuff just gets harder every day. I`m a bit ahead of you, my shed is done, still got to do the solar and an awful lot of landscaping and tree clearing. Hope to have it all done before I fall off the perch.
What sort of controller are you looking at for the CS setup?

Bob

glassblower

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2023, 03:13:45 PM »
After ajaffa1 mentioned 6/1 and the 8/1 I was thinking about my Automann 8/1 flywheel remembering they were bigger. They are 24" flywheels so I need to find a 11 1/4" pulley for that engine. The Automann needs going through and I was told by someone that these engines were brought in for the Amish and usually abused. I might see if I can get on Butch's rebuild waiting list and take it down to him for an overhaul.

The controller I was planning on using is a PLC (programmable logic controller) left over from an electric project I did. Probably either a small Allen Bradley or Proface I have laying around. They are basically an industrial micro like the ones I use in my other life. They have analog inputs as well as discrete inputs and simple to program.

If you are into arduino, Automation direct now makes an industrial version with modules and cards called Productivity Open. They're nice because there's no soldering, and open circuit boards and they clip on a DIN rail and have terminals.