Author Topic: LPWS3 crankcase breather  (Read 460 times)

Budger

• View Profile
LPWS3 crankcase breather
« on: June 22, 2023, 09:31:56 AM »
Hi all
I have an oil leak from my LPWS3 build 042 which is installed on my yacht..So far I am struggling to locate the leak due to access problems particularly underneath. I will probably lift her up as the mounts could do with inspection and maybe replacing as they are original from 1993. My question is around the breather system..Is it an internal breather? And if so is it a serviceable item which I imagine would be accessed behind the crankcase door?
Cheers

Diesel Engineering

• View Profile
Re: LPWS3 crankcase breather
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2023, 10:27:09 AM »
This engine uses an internal breather system. If you remove the rocker covers you will see the breather tubes protruding from the cylinder head. One tube per cylinder. These tubes run through to the inlet manifold. Normally you wouldn't get any problems with them. But if you want to check there clear just poke a piece of stiff wire through them.(

Budger

• View Profile
Re: LPWS3 crankcase breather
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2023, 04:26:22 PM »
Hi
Thank you so much for that info maybe you can help with something else?
I have located the oil leak which is coming from the end cover to crankcase joint..I have removed the raw water pump from the cover and am now looking to take off the pulley that drives the water pump and alternator this is held on with a left hand thread nut or bolt..Not having a crankshaft locking pin I have fished around into the hole by the starter with a small screwdriver but cannot feel any teeth on the flywheel but can feel something turning when rotating the engine..I need to lock the crankshaft to undo said nut..Any suggestions please?