Puppeteer

Author Topic: Wiring Diagram or Knowledge on speed control of Lister Generator diesel engine  (Read 1213 times)

David Van Leerdam

• View Profile
Wiring Diagram or Knowledge on speed control of Lister Generator diesel engine 7.5HP.

Have recently purchased 7.5HP twin cylinder diesel Lister that use to have 240 volt gen set bolted to the back.
On the engine there are two looks like solenoids that control the governor of the engine.
Set up looks complete but not sure on how the system works or wiring connections.

Wondering if anyone can help as reusing setup to run gen set.

Thanks Dutchy

oldgoat

• View Profile
If your genset is the one I am thinking of it is an SL2 and the solenoids were used to pull the throttle of its stop and the other one operated the decompressor levers It will be fixed speed at 1500 rpm.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
Good day, I largely agree with Oldgoat. Lister made a lot of generators based around their S series engines (ST, SR, SL). These had two solenoids mounted at the governor end of the engine. The front one is the fuel control solenoid and is connected to the fuel injector pumps, when energized it releases the fuel control racks allowing diesel to be pumped up to the fuel injectors. This solenoid is a latching solenoid with two coils and a small internal relay switch. During the start up process, 12 volt dc is fed through the two coils opening the fuel supply, once the solenoid is open the small relay switch is triggered turning off the voltage to one of the coils and the solenoid is able to stay open on just one coil.
The second solenoid is a 240v unit (110volt for US models), this is connected via a spring loaded linkage, to the two decompressor levers on the top of the engine. During start up the engine spins up without compression, as the generator head starts to produce electricity this flows to the solenoid coil opening it and pulling the two decompressor levers into the run position allowing the injected diesel to ignite.
These engine would have been set in the factory for 1500 RPM for a 50HZ generator or 1800 RPM for a 60 HZ output. My ST2 had some throttle adjustment available to fine tune the output.
Hope this is helpful,

Bob

David Van Leerdam

• View Profile
Thankyou very much the information will be very helpful. If any one has a instruction or workshop manual on the system it would be much appreciated. Thanks again for getting back to us.

dax021

• View Profile
This is what I found on this forum.  Hope it makes more sense to you than it did to me.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
I very much doubt that you will  be able to recreate a SOM as they require a Brush generator head with it`s built in starter motor. The S series lister engines do have a mounting for a regular starter motor on the back of the flywheel housing, check to see if there is a toothed starter ring on the flywheel. I am not sure if this could be used to recreate an SOM The wiring could be very tricky.
Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Bob

David Van Leerdam

• View Profile
Thanks Bob. Have got coils worked out and tested out and working ok fan flywheel has no ring gear so hand cranking it is . Job has grown considerably as motor has had bad oil leaks and very low on comp so pulling down to check out . Any idea on a good place for parts ie gasget set maybe rings .Thanks

ajaffa1

• View Profile
Hi David, parts suppliers depend on what country you are in. Gary at Diesel Electric in the USA supplied all the bits for the ST2 I rebuilt. He is very knowledgeable and ships worldwide. The cylinders can be rebored out to +40 thou and oversized pistons come in +10,20,30 &40 thousands of an inch. New cylinder barrels are also available and might be cheaper than a rebore, depending on where you live.
Check the condition of the oil pump, it is hidden under a plug on the bottom of the engine, no point rebuilding an engine with no oil pressure.
If you can find a Brush SCAFF type generator head it has an integral starter motor/alternator as well as the 110/240 volt generator, better than hand cranking. Failing that you might be able to get a gear ring that will fit.

Bob

David Van Leerdam

• View Profile
Thanks again for your information so far no majors a valve grind  needed and a bore hone as bores look good and ring clearances tolerable, as for the gen set it probably would be rare as rocking horse crap. Will keep plodding on thanks again.MMDN

gg1234

• View Profile
Good day, I largely agree with Oldgoat. Lister made a lot of generators based around their S series engines (ST, SR, SL). These had two solenoids mounted at the governor end of the engine. The front one is the fuel control solenoid and is connected to the fuel injector pumps, when energized it releases the fuel control racks allowing diesel to be pumped up to the fuel injectors. This solenoid is a latching solenoid with two coils and a small internal relay switch. During the start up process, 12 volt dc is fed through the two coils opening the fuel supply, once the solenoid is open the small relay switch is triggered turning off the voltage to one of the coils and the solenoid is able to stay open on just one coil.
The second solenoid is a 240v unit (110volt for US models), this is connected via a spring loaded linkage, to the two decompressor levers on the top of the engine. During start up the engine spins up without compression, as the generator head starts to produce electricity this flows to the solenoid coil opening it and pulling the two decompressor levers into the run position allowing the injected diesel to ignite.
These engine would have been set in the factory for 1500 RPM for a 50HZ generator or 1800 RPM for a 60 HZ output. My ST2 had some throttle adjustment available to fine tune the output.
Hope this is helpful,

Bob

Just editing this post as answered own question - so I appear to have a Start o Matic missing the control panel which the previous owner seems to have been running on a manual start.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2023, 05:11:36 PM by gg1234 »

gg1234

• View Profile
Some photos

gg1234

• View Profile

gg1234

• View Profile
« Last Edit: September 17, 2023, 05:08:04 PM by gg1234 »