Author Topic: LD1 based generator  (Read 626 times)

PeterN

• View Profile
LD1 based generator
« on: July 12, 2023, 05:32:13 PM »
Hi folks, thank you for letting me in.

I recently purchased the above mentioned, the seller started it with apparently no problem and demonstrated that it was producing power.

When I got it home I changed the fuel filter but had difficulty getting fuel to the injector, the filter looked like the original one! I cleaned all the fuel lines and bled it through but cant get it to start. With a little easy start it fires but runs backwards, today it actually started up - backwards which I promptly stopped with the decompressor.

I appreciate that Easystart has a lower flash point than diesel and I'm wondering if its lack of speed that's causing the problem (I am 84) but I got my son to have a go and it wouldn't start for him either. I assume fuel is being injected OK as it was chucking out plenty of black smoke when it started.

This is my first experience of Lister engines and am impressed with the way they are built. I have had a lot with Perkins engines from about the time this one was made but different kettle of fish.

Can anyone help me. Thanks

Peter

ajaffa1

• View Profile
Re: LD1 based generator
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2023, 11:46:02 PM »
Hi Peter and welcome. My assessment of the problem you have is that you have excess compression, the fuel air mixture is igniting too soon and causing the engine to bounce backward rather than passing top dead center. The most obvious cause for this would be that someone has set the bump clearance too small (clearance between top of piston and cylinder head) however since you have recently seen it start and run properly this is unlikely. The other way to achieve an increase in the compression ratio is to pour oil or fuel into the cylinder, I suspect that you have a dribling fuel injector and unburned liquid diesel sitting on top of the piston causing excessive compression. If a tiny amount of dirt got into the fuel injector line when you did the fuel filter it could have caused the fuel injector pintle to stick partly open. Pull out the fuel injector and clean the injector nozzle, then try it again.
Let us know how you go.

Bob

PeterN

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2023, 06:14:11 PM »
Thanks Bob

The starting backwards only occurs if I squirt easy start (ether) into the inlet. I can understand it trying to start backwards as the flash point is much lower but without it I can't get it to fire at all, it produces a little exhaust smoke but will not run.

I appreciate your comments about the injector, it is of the combined pump/injector type so difficult to test out of the engine. I get the feeling that if I could turn it over fast enough it would start but it doesn't even go over one compression, with ether it tries to break your fingers as it kicks back severely.

Someone was selling an electric start engine but it was up north, I wish I had got it now.

Peter

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2023, 12:02:28 AM »
Hi Peter, if you do a quick internet search for Lister LD pistons you will find lots of photos showing that the top of these pistons have a scalloped  indent in the top with a deeper recess in the middle of the piston crown, if these are full of oil, water or diesel the compression ratio will be too high to get it past TDC. In the past I have flushed hydrolocked engines using petrol for oil or diesel, or using methylated spirits for water. Pour it in the air intake with the inlet valve open, leave it a few minutes to dissolve whatever is sat on top of the piston crown. Now slowly hand crank it with the decompressor lever open until most of the fluid is expelled from the exhaust. Leave it overnight with one of the valves open, the remaining petrol or metho should evaporate leaving you with a near clean piston crown.

In the past I have used a pony motor (petrol or electric) with a belt to spin up engines that are difficult to start. Once you have had it running it will probably be easier to crank start.

Bob

PeterN

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2023, 02:28:47 PM »
Thanks again Bob

I had to lay it on its side in the car and all the oil ran out, some may have gone up the bore although it will start up backwards with ether but I'm afraid of it running out of control like that.

I will give it a go.

Peter