Puppeteer

Author Topic: Kinda unknown listeror  (Read 804 times)

KC7NOA

• View Profile
Kinda unknown listeror
« on: July 02, 2023, 10:28:14 AM »
I'm trying a new pic server ...

Iv got a listeroid of some kind that I think was frozen and cracked its water jacket ... then while it was under repair , a fire happened and gutted the garage it was in while it was being repaired / disassembled

« Last Edit: July 02, 2023, 10:50:02 AM by KC7NOA »

KC7NOA

• View Profile
Re: Kinda unknown listeror
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2023, 10:31:02 AM »
« Last Edit: July 02, 2023, 10:43:57 AM by KC7NOA »

KC7NOA

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2023, 10:40:09 AM »
Hummm .... no inserted image, but you can see the ole boy in the link (update, im making progressive on images ... need to edit the size of images I see )

So, the connecting rod cap and bearing is missing ...
Valve cover completely melted. The upper water jacket adapter or something made out of of aluminum 1/3 melted away ...

On both wheels is a baling wire tied on shaft, I think one is a wrist pin and the other,... well I'm not sure.
I'll get more pictures soon enough. I'm still trying to man handle this into a place I can work on it over the comming winter
« Last Edit: July 02, 2023, 10:51:30 AM by KC7NOA »

cujet

• Lister power rules!
    • View Profile
    • www.cujet.com
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2023, 12:57:29 AM »
Looks like an interesting project. I'll bet you can resurrect that beast and get it running again. Have you looked at the crankshaft and rod bearing?
People who count on their fingers should maintain a discreet silence

KC7NOA

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2023, 04:11:48 PM »
The rod is missing the cap and half the bearing ...
We couldn't find it close to where the motor was.

KC7NOA

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2023, 05:53:57 PM »

KC7NOA

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2023, 06:13:20 PM »
What do you think these shafts go to?

broncodriver99

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2023, 09:02:24 PM »
I would guess that was an attempt at balancing a hopping or walking engine. Notice they are both inline with the cast in flywheel counterweights. Don't think I would want to be around that engine while it was running with only mechanics wire holding those on.

KC7NOA

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2023, 10:10:43 PM »
I think this might be a crack from being frozen water

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2023, 11:30:47 PM »
That does look like a crack, it could probably be brazed but I worry there may be further cracking inside. Replacement cylinder blocks are readily available, some are just cast iron while others have steel wet sleeves, I recently heard of one with a chrome plated bore.
My biggest concern about your project is that the heat it has been exposed to may have annealed some of the hardened and tempered components, things like cam lobes and followers. Replacements are available but it could get expensive and the quality of some Indian manufactured components is questionable.
38ac did a very good explanation on how to balance a Listeroid, it didn`t involve tying pieces of steel to the spokes with wire! If you do get it going and it`s a real jumper you might consider replacing the cast iron piston with a lighter weight aluminium piston.
Looking forward to seeing how you get on, good luck.

Bob

KC7NOA

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2023, 02:02:24 PM »
Has anyone tried to harden the cam lobes?

Since aluminum melts at roughly 1000deg and steel starts to loose its aneal around 500deg ... its a fair bet that all bearings are shot, all hardened parts need tempered or replaced.

I'm not sure what the parts list would be ...

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2023, 11:51:05 PM »
Yes cam lobes can be hardened. They are held on the shaft with taper pins and can be removed. Heat them up until they glow red and then quench them, to temper them warm them up till they just start to turn blue and let them cool slowly. How successful this will be depends on the quality of the steel, if they are high carbon steel this will work well, if they are closer to mild steel and have been case hardened it won`t do much. Original Lister parts were all high carbon steel, I suspect some of the Indian Listeroid parts are of much lower quality.
Have a look on the internet for stationary engine parts. There are very good suppliers in the UK, USA and here in Australia. Most of these parts are made in India and should fit your engine. I have found that it is often necessary to play about with gasket thicknesses to achieve the correct tolerances/clearances/end float & etc.
Keep us up to date with how you get on.

Bob