How to / DIY > Generators

I need help getting pulley off of a Mecc Alte

(1/4) > >>

tyssniffen:
So, with my chinese ST down (I believe it is the windings with a short) I have been gifted a 2013 Mecc Alte alternator off of another gen set.

It's gotta run at 3600rpm, so I need to put a different pulley on there.  Amazingly, I think it needs a 4" with my flywheel, which I have.

BUT, I can't get the other one off. It seems as though it's put on the opposite way the ST ones go on, with bolts on the *inside*.  I also don't know how to get the 'key' out off the shaft.

I've emailed the company (in Italy) a week ago, and haven't heard anything.  No luck doing internet searches either.  Anyone have ideas?

I have turned the bolts (out) which, once they are fully out and pushing against the cast body) may be pushing the pulley off, but I have worked that as hard as I can and have started to round off the bolt heads.    There must be a trick, but I don't know what it is.    I've also tried heating up the pulley a bit with a blow torch, but hard to say if I did enough, or if that was a wise move.

Photos attached.

tyssniffen:
more photos

dax021:
That centre part is a cone and the pulley has been put on backwards, so you need to soak well in WD40 then knock the outer pulley inwards, toward the casing.  This should allow the inner split cone to expand enough to slide off.

dax021:
By trying to push it off by backing out those bolts will only cause the inner cone to push further into the outer pulley, thereby tightening it on the shaft.

broncodriver99:
That's a taper lock bushing and sheave. Whomever assembled it put it on backwards, most likely for alignment reasons. There should be two threaded holes in the face of the bushing(the inner part)(facing the generator), they are "jacking" holes. Usually one would just use two of the bolts removed but since your bolts are captured you would need two bolts the same size but short enough to fit between the face of the generator and the bushing. Screw them in and they will force the pulley off of the bushing. You don't have much room so may have to get creative with sliding washers between the bushing and pulley to work it off. It is a taper fit and would be very difficult to drive the bushing in. Usually when I come across that I just cut the pulley parallel to the shaft so it will come off of the bushing and then pry it off of the bushing. Once the pulley is off it releases the taper lock and the bushing can then be removed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version