Puppeteer

Author Topic: AC2W Reset lever and Cold Cranking Amps  (Read 518 times)

Altonx

• View Profile
AC2W Reset lever and Cold Cranking Amps
« on: March 22, 2023, 11:09:53 AM »
Hi all
First Post on this forum so if im in the wrong area apologies in advance.
No doubt there are many knowledgeable people on this forum and I'd like to pick your brains.
I recently acquired a boat with a running AC2W engine, no real issues with the engine apart from  being difficult to start (even with 2 x glow plugs, I've been reading these engines do not like cold weather) but my 1st question is the Reset lever on the engine (behind the water pump, low down in the engine) what exactly does this reset and should it be used every start up?
2nd Question, would anyone know the cold cranking current approx of this little 12hp 2cyl diesel? I'm estimating 60-70amps?, im in the process of rewiring the while boat and obviously want to use cables that are up to the job. I do not have access to an amp clamp.

Diesel Engineering

• View Profile
Re: AC2W Reset lever and Cold Cranking Amps
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2023, 02:14:00 AM »
The lever you mention is an excess fuel lver. You press it down and release. This allows the fuel pump to deliver more fuel for starting. When engine starts it will automatically return to the normal run position. Also these engines had oil plungers in the cylinder head. To aid cold starting you would remove the plungers and fill the Chambers with engine oil. Replace plungers and press down. This will inject a measured quantity of oil into the cylinders, increase compression and aid cold starting.

Altonx

• View Profile
Re: AC2W Reset lever and Cold Cranking Amps
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2023, 12:27:29 PM »
The lever you mention is an excess fuel lver. You press it down and release. This allows the fuel pump to deliver more fuel for starting. When engine starts it will automatically return to the normal run position. Also these engines had oil plungers in the cylinder head. To aid cold starting you would remove the plungers and fill the Chambers with engine oil. Replace plungers and press down. This will inject a measured quantity of oil into the cylinders, increase compression and aid cold starting.

Thank you for the reply, that makes a lot of sense, so its basically like a choke, im aware of the oil plungers in each cylinder, i put oil in for every start but i have not been using the reset lever, i will now tho, thank you.