Puppeteer

Author Topic: Lister CEM 2 Cylinder Cold Lay Up Advice  (Read 519 times)

NB TRENT 5

• View Profile
Lister CEM 2 Cylinder Cold Lay Up Advice
« on: March 05, 2023, 06:15:06 PM »
Good Day,

I have a working 1945 Lister CEM (water cooled, dry sump) engine onboard my narrowboat Trent 5, which is currently under restoration.

The water has been drained from the system and all pipework is removed (water,fuel,oil etc) is there any other process I need to follow in order to make her good for long term "cold lay up",  a few years, until restoration is completed.

Once completed the engine will under go a full service by a professional Lister engineer, if I can find one.

Apologies for the term "cold lay up" if this has thrown a few off.

Thank you in advance,

Phil

dieselspanner

• View Profile
Re: Lister CEM 2 Cylinder Cold Lay Up Advice
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2023, 08:39:40 AM »
Hi Chris
Welcome to the forum.

if it's possible remove the air filter, turn the engine over and squirt a large portion of WD 40 in the intake with the engine decompressors engaged. if you don't have decompressors (i'm not familiar with your engine) turning by hand is best, if you use the battery / starter there's a good chance she'll fire up and run on the WD40.

Seal off as many of the pipes that you have removed and keep them in a clean dry place, then more importantly, seal off any openings in the engine that you have created.

Release the decompressors, if appropriate, and turn the engine until it stops on a compression stroke, at least one of the cylinders will be shut off from the atmosphere. Then seal the air inlet AND the exhaust - ram a rag up it, but leave it close to the outside as a 'tell tale' for the day when you restart.

Disconnect the battery, if the barge is still afloat get a couple of old anodes (appropriate for fresh or salt water, depending on your berth) and hang them fore and aft, earthed to the hull (assuming it's made of steel / iron!) doubly important if you're moored alongside a steel jetty / pontoon or sheet piling. Don't Leave the shore power on when the barge is unattended, stray currents can cause havoc even with decent anodes fitted - ask me how I know.....

There's almost certainly more, but that'll help some, good luck with the refit.

Cheers
Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2023, 11:32:57 PM »
+1 on Stef' rag thing!

tie a wire on the rags you stuff in the exhaust and intake, most especially if they are facing downward

its too easy to forget about them and buckle the engine up, and then start and inhale a rag, and that is a pain in the ass
to sort out.

don't ask me how i know this!  :)

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

NB TRENT 5

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2023, 06:51:07 PM »
Hi Stef, Bob,

Thank you for the advice much appreciated.

regards,

Phil