Author Topic: It isnt all about engines  (Read 700 times)

38ac

• View Profile
It isnt all about engines
« on: February 23, 2023, 01:00:45 PM »
I enjoy very few things outside of the work shop but I do like running my little sawmill. Had a white pine in the yard that needed to go away. Set up the Peterson and enjoyed a day of cutting. This was just the first of 5 logs. When dry the lumber is going to line the inside walls of the new shed where I display my engine collection. 
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

dkmc

• View Profile
Re: It isnt all about engines
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2023, 03:31:07 PM »

Nice.  I've recently thought about building or buying a used one. Seems like it would be satisfying to produce lumber, not to mention cost savings.
Machinist, fabricator, designer, fixer

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2023, 10:11:55 AM »
On the Mid North Coast of NSW it is still a thriving timber area. Original both white and red cedar was the gold in the area but then brush box and turpentine are the go. I knew a couple of blokes who ran their own small saw mill that was driven by an old Ford E27N tractor. They did it hard but were able to make a living from it cutting sleepers for the railways.
Coopernook - the centre of our Universe.

glassblower

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2023, 11:03:13 PM »
You have a beautiful engine shed butch, love the rough sawn lumber. I missed an opportunity to buy a variable speed carriage belt driven mill a few years ago to belt up to my rumely. I have 17 acres of woods and a saw is on my wish list so I can do a proper engine shed.
8-1 Powerline, 6-1 Powerline, Automann 8-1, Lister Petter AC1, Hatz, Rumely Oilpulls