Author Topic: Onan P2305  (Read 12088 times)

Doug

Re: Onan P2305
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2006, 12:30:03 AM »

Doug:
600/347 is a standard industrial 3 phase source used in Canada and most mines around the world using 60 hz power.
  Thanks for the info.  That's handy to know. 

Realy?
On the other hand American industrail power is usualy 480/277 this combination allows for taps and multi voltage motors and equipment. You need to run more copper but its a flexibilty issue, also of interest is 380 50hz motors from Eroupe will run on American 480 generaly with no issues. That can be realy handy to know....

Doug

Rtqii

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2006, 07:17:29 AM »
Not worth it.  The key component to electrical power generation and application is to generate the power exactly in the form of intended use.  If you need to run 3 phase equipment, you generate 3 phase power. If you need to run single phase equipment, it is never cost effective or efficient to generate 3 phase power and convert.

The only exception is in grid applications... In a grid application 3 phase is cheap and easy to produce, then at the application end of the grid (residential subsection) you separate the phases at the substation and deliver one leg to each subsection of the grid.

In a small stand alone operation the transformer costs, and core losses, make conversion prohibitive, even if the generator is free.

vacuum1313

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2006, 05:09:32 AM »
I have indicated to the owner, a retired contractor, that the unit is not suitable.  He has indicated a desire to be rid of it so I offered $350 CAD for the diesel only and that only if the diesel is in good running condition.  It appears to be a 3 cyl diesel and in running condition I could mate it to a 5-10 hp single phase induction motor, capacitors removed, and feed back to the grid.  If it runs reasonable I could even get a 7.5 kw st head for $500-600 CAD and trailer mounted would have a good backup power generator for much less than the emergency units that don't last. The current gen head would be scavenged for wire etc as I have wind and solar thermal projects that would benefit from such.  Comments on this plan appreciated.

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2006, 06:00:04 AM »
I have indicated to the owner, a retired contractor, that the unit is not suitable.  He has indicated a desire to be rid of it so I offered $350 CAD for the diesel only and that only if the diesel is in good running condition.  It appears to be a 3 cyl diesel and in running condition I could mate it to a 5-10 hp single phase induction motor, capacitors removed, and feed back to the grid.  If it runs reasonable I could even get a 7.5 kw st head for $500-600 CAD and trailer mounted would have a good backup power generator for much less than the emergency units that don't last. The current gen head would be scavenged for wire etc as I have wind and solar thermal projects that would benefit from such.  Comments on this plan appreciated.

Is that 600 volt alternator 1800 RPM or 1200 RPM?  Does it have two bearings, that is it can stand alone and spin without having to hang on the engine crankshaft to provide one bearing?  I may be interested in purchasing it from you to help you buy your diesel engine.  PM me.  I`m in Ontario as well, an hour and a bit NW of TO.
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dual  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion