How to / DIY > Generators

ST Generator Efficiency ?

(1/2) > >>

veggie:

Does anyone know what the average efficiency is for the ST style generators when running in the "sweet spot". The ST-3 in particular.
As I understand it, the newer design brushless 3600 rpm heads used on today's "screamers" are about 92%.
I was wondering if the ST heads fall in the same efficiency range.

Veggir

veggie:
Bump !!!

Any ideas at all regarding ST head efficiencies?
I'm trying to get an idea if they are much more efficient than a 24 volt Delco industrial DC alternator rated at 55%

broncodriver99:
I have never seen a documented number. If I had to guess I would say in the 75-80% range at best. I have seen documentation on similar type designs albeit western designed and built and those seem to all be in the high 70's% efiiciency. I would think it very unlikely that the ST heads could match much less exceed those numbers.

What 2 pole heads are you seeing that are obtaining 92% efficiency? I went through all of the Mecc-Alte catalogs that had smaller generators in their range and I don't remember seeing anything above ~82%.

On the DC side so far the most efficient alternator I have come across is the Delco 28si in the 24V flavor. It is 76% efficient according to Delco.

veggie:

Hi Bronco, I read the 92% effy somewhere when I bought my 3600 rpm 4kw Brushless Voltmaster head.
I have since tried to find the specs but I can't.  I'll take you word for it that an effy in the 70's is more realistic and that's what I am finding elsewhere too.
My reason for the info is that I was evaluating the difference in overall system efficiency when running a 24 volt Delco 26si vs an ST3 gen head for charging a battery bank.
If the efficiencies were close, I prefer the DC alternator because it's not sensitive to engine speed and I can run the Lister at wherever speed I want. 
However, if the AC alternator is considerably more efficient, the fuel savings could add up to a significant amount over several years.

dkmc:

How difficult would it be to do some testing and determine efficiency of each?
Power in VS power out?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version