Puppeteer

Author Topic: Lpw 3a based generator starting system schematic  (Read 903 times)

9mile

• View Profile
Lpw 3a based generator starting system schematic
« on: February 05, 2023, 03:04:27 AM »
Just bought an lpw 3a. The solenoid that pulls back to allow generator to start Cycles on and off every 15 seconds so generator will not continue to run. Have a deep sea control box on my other lm3 so don't know anything about how this one is configured or who made it? Any ideas?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2023, 03:13:17 AM by 9mile »

ajaffa1

• View Profile
Re: Lpw 3a based generator starting system schematic
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2023, 08:47:19 PM »
I can`t tell from the photo but I think that is the fuel control solenoid which open/closes the racks on the fuel injector pumps. It is clearly working because it opens the racks allowing you to start the unit. Why it would then close the rack shutting down the genny 15 seconds later is a bit of a mystery. Some solenoids have two coils in them, both coils are needed to open the rack but only one is needed to hold it open there is a small internal switch/relay to switch off one coil. That relay/switch may be failing.

Much more likely is a fault in the control panel. Does this unit have a low oil pressure sensor? It could be that oil level is too low and oil pressure drops causing the shut down. Some units also have a low oil level sensor which would do the same thing.

Bob

32 coupe

• "Doc Johnson" on call !
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2023, 10:47:17 PM »
Bob is correct....I would look at the oil pressure situation to see if it is a problem.
Those solenoids are usually 2 coils or and internal switch.....is it a 2 wire or 3 wire ?
2 wire will have the internal switch, 3 wire will be controled by the rest of the control system.

Your pic shows.some info on it. Have you tried to cross referance any of that on the net ?
Metro 6/1 turning a ST 7.5 KW gen head
Changfa 1115 turning a ST 15 KW gen head
Ashwamegh 2/25
John Deere 110 TBL
New Holland TC 30

"I was sitting here reading this thinking what an idiot you are until I realized it was one of my earlier posts !"

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2023, 08:54:04 AM »
Hi 32 coupe, thanks for the backup, I`m pretty sure this an oil pressure or oil level issue. Hoping it`s oil level, oil pressure issues can be expensive to rectify.

Bob

32 coupe

• "Doc Johnson" on call !
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2023, 10:46:57 AM »

I think there is probibly an oil pressure switch and an oil presure sender.
The switch would be for the "safety" side and the sender is for the guage.
That's how my military gen set is set up.
I would try to determine which is which then hook up a manual guage to see if it is making good oil pressure.
If it is and it does have a switch and a sender you can jump out the switch to see if that resolves the problem.
Metro 6/1 turning a ST 7.5 KW gen head
Changfa 1115 turning a ST 15 KW gen head
Ashwamegh 2/25
John Deere 110 TBL
New Holland TC 30

"I was sitting here reading this thinking what an idiot you are until I realized it was one of my earlier posts !"

9mile

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2023, 08:33:37 PM »
Having trouble posting to this topic and adding pictures

9mile

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2023, 08:38:09 PM »
Had added several other pictures to original post and they never attached. The fuel start solenoid is activated for fifteen seconds and then off for 15 seconds which I think has to do with the recycle or Interval Timer. Oil pressure is good on oil pressure gauge. Update realizing the main contactor needs 240 volt AC from AVR to work. Not getting any voltage currently out of generator and so I think that's a big part of my problem. Still have a random missing wire from my Interval Timer to who knows where?