Author Topic: Shop busy work  (Read 1403 times)

38ac

• View Profile
Shop busy work
« on: February 04, 2023, 01:45:11 PM »
Getting parts of all kinds is becoming an issue at the shop,  India parts order is 3 months old. Gasket order is 2 months old and no ship dates yet for either. Thus slow speed work has come to a halt.  Staying busy building myself a new wood splitter. Heavy iron came out of the scrap pile, Engine is a Chinese copy of a Kubota. Main wedge is horizontal with a vertical secondary wedge. Unsplit portion remains on top of tbe horizontal wedge and will be pulled back with an arm not yet installee when I took these pics. About $2000 outlay at this point.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

32 coupe

• "Doc Johnson" on call !
    • View Profile
Re: Shop busy work
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2023, 02:32:26 PM »
Butch,
Do you think the parts problem will correct itself or will owners just be out ?

Your log splitter looks great. I always enjoyed building projects like that.
When I first saw the one picture with the side profile of the fuel tank I thought you had a TV screen mounted
on it. I thought what the he\\ is that ?.....Imagine my disapointment when I zoomed in on the picture and
realized it was the fuel tank !

Metro 6/1 turning a ST 7.5 KW gen head
Changfa 1115 turning a ST 15 KW gen head
Ashwamegh 2/25
John Deere 110 TBL
New Holland TC 30

"I was sitting here reading this thinking what an idiot you are until I realized it was one of my earlier posts !"

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2023, 03:21:15 PM »
Gary, The parts will get here eventually, not sure what the issue is with India. They may having same supply train issues that we in the states are experiencing or according to an Industry insider there has been pressure applied for an exclusive right to all exports of Lister parts?

glassblower

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2023, 04:46:39 PM »
I ordered a couple complete injectors from India about a month ago and they showed up about three weeks after the order. I don’t think they are targeting listed parts yet, may be supply issues at the India end.
8-1 Powerline, 6-1 Powerline, Automann 8-1, Lister Petter AC1, Hatz, Rumely Oilpulls

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2023, 08:47:51 PM »
Hi Butch, nice work as always, looks like you are planning to supply fire wood to half the US population!  :laugh:
Supply issues are worldwide, Lister parts are becoming harder to source in Australia, they are also becoming dearer. The Old Timer website shows a lot of parts as out of stock.

Bob

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2023, 04:57:15 AM »
Lovely job on the wood splitter. You wont want to use it once finished it looks too good. Well done.
Coopernook - the centre of our Universe.

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2023, 02:39:13 PM »
Thanks, I worked a little harder at fit and finish on tbis splitter than I usually do with such projects.  Workability 1, looks last, LOL

Yes Bob we burn a bit of wood. About 11 cords per year, a cord being 128 cubic feet. Even so with the logs all cut up and ready we should be able to split a years supply in a few days. There was more need to keep my fingers busy than actual need for the machine. ;D

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2023, 09:01:30 PM »
Hi Butch, I`m the same, I hate sitting around doing nothing. Fortunately there is enough work to do here to keep my fingers busy for years.
We also heat the house with wood but burn a lot less than you because Australian hardwood is so heavy and dense. You can`t split it with an axe so a log splitter is essential.
I have a crazy plan to build a wet back boiler to burn WVO, linked to underfloor heating it should save me a lot of work cutting wood. It will have to wait till I have some spare time.  :laugh:

Bob

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2023, 10:16:49 AM »
From today my fingers are busy drivng and towing our caravan for the next 7 - 8 weeks

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2023, 07:11:01 PM »
From today my fingers are busy drivng and towing our caravan for the next 7 - 8 weeks
Hope you have a great holiday, enjoy!

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2023, 09:51:54 AM »
Thems the rules, enjoy. If we dont it is our own fault.
Thanks

veggie

• Keep Calm and Start the Lister !
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2023, 06:43:24 PM »
38AC,

Where did you find a Chinese copy of a Kubota.?
Are they still available ?
- 6/1 GM90 Listeroid - Delco 33si Alternator
- Changfa R175 - Lease/Neville Alternator
- JiangDong R165 Air cooled - 2 kw
- Changfa S195 (Waiting for a project)

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2023, 08:12:38 PM »
I bought four of them from a manufacturer of APU units for road tractors 8-10 years ago. They were not allowed to use them on new trucks with tier4 requirements. I sold 2 and kept 2. The first one I installed on the splitter had issues soI set it aside and put the other one on. I have tried for two months to get parts for the bad engine and its like they never existed in spite ofbeing made by a major engine firm Jiangdong. They denied making them so I sent them a picture of the tag, no responce. My guess is Kubota got a hold of them and said you either knock it off or suffer X. consequences. They are identical to a Kubota 482 on steroids.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2023, 08:15:02 PM by 38ac »