Author Topic: Installing Cam on a CS 16-2  (Read 2198 times)

listerclone

• View Profile
Re: Installing Cam on a CS 16-2
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2023, 01:23:30 AM »
I made a house call on the Listeroid on Thursday and here's how it went.  The first thing I did was secure the lifters with tie wraps.  Then I looked for marks on the flywheel similar to what 38ac showed me.  There were none that I can see.  Are the marks thin enough that a coat of green paint would completely cover them?  If I have to find TDC where is the best place to reference the top of the piston?  Can I put a rod through the injector mount?
As you can see from the pictures, the flywheel will be in the way when installing the cam.  Here is my guess, again, at a procedure.  Hope there is an easier way.  First install the cam at the guestimated position.  Next install flywheel and gib key lightly?  Go through the cam timing procedure.  Remove flywheel and install cam cover and fuel pump.  Reinstall flywheel and install gib key tightly.  Where is the best place to buy two gib keys?
So, this is where I am so far.  Thanks for taking an interest.  Dan
The software tells me that my picture did not pass a security check??

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2023, 07:41:37 AM »
Hi Dan, I don`t know where to buy Gib keys where you live. they are available from Old Timer Engines here in Australia and also from Stationary Engine Parts in the Uk. I`m sure 38ac would know where to get them and probably has some. Be careful with these, the original spec for a tapered gib key was 1 in 48, metric keys are 1 in 50, they don`t fit well if you get the wrong ones. They should be smeared with engineers blue and adjusted to a perfect fit with a file.

The problem you are having with posting pictures is the file size. Most modern phones and cameras produce pictures with a massive file size. Have a look at the settings on your camera and see if it has a setting for Email.

Bob

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2023, 01:22:57 PM »
I have Gibb keys in stock. No, you cannot reach the piston through the injector hole on an indirect injection Lister . Some of the clones are direct injected and can be.
 Flywheel in the way? Yes. Is it an issue? No. Use the other one and leave the #1 side off  ???  ???
To find top dead center you first need a pointer and a refferance. Mount the #2 flywheel and lightly secure with a key. Next using a piece of heavy wire, or flat stock make a pointer on one end. You attach it to any handy bolt.  Point it at the flywheel rim, the closer without touching the better. Next you need to decompress the #2 cylinder. This can be done by loosening the injector. Next turn the crankshaft so the keyways are at 3 or 9 o'clock makes no differance which way.  Now on the number one cylinder you need to block the exhaust valve open as shown in the attached picture, not just a little bit open but as far as you can. Use a vise grip on the rocker to pull it open. Next carefully turn the engine until the piston hits the exhaust valve. Put a mark on the flywheel at the pointer. Next turn the engine the other way until it hits again. Place a mark under the pointer. Care fully measure between the two marks. Divide measurement by 2. and place a mark exactly halfway between. Cylider 1 is TDC when at the pointer is at your TDC mark.  Remove the block holding the valve open. Rotate the engine to your TDC mark.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2023, 01:27:37 PM by 38ac »
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

sirpedrosa

• 21NOV2019 - Finally I hear that sound... again
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2023, 06:57:56 PM »
Hi Dan, Gentles

If it helps you can either take a look at my thread, here: See here for timing without marks: https://listerengine.com/smf/index.php?topic=8320.msg102265#msg102265

Cheers
VP
« Last Edit: February 13, 2023, 07:00:03 PM by sirpedrosa »
By order of firing up:
Bernard 18A - 1968 (mama's water pump - year of my birth)
Petter PAZ1 - Jun 1967, 3HP, sn 416xxxx
Petter PAZ1 - Nov 1979, 3HP, sn 425xxxx
Lister 12/2 - 12651227, the pearl!
Deutz MAH 914, 1952 - Zündfix in chamber and go (7Mai2023).

listerclone

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2023, 06:57:19 AM »
sirpedrosa:  I looked at your thread and was wowed by the job you did.  The pictures were great.  The measurements for marking the flywheel are very helpful.
38ac:  Every time I get a post from you I get a big grin inside my head.  I have found TDC several times using the method you describe.  They were gas engines using a piston stop through the spark plug hole.  Looking at this Listeroid, using that method never crossed my mind.  Using the exhaust valve for a piston stop is so clever. 
The first thing I removed from this engine was the #2 flywheel, and then the cam cover on the #2 side.  As I recall, it's been a while, that cover doesn't interfere with the cam going in and out.  I should be able to install it before I put the #2 flywheel back on.  Oh, using the opposite side flywheel for the timing is another clever idea I would not have thought of.
Lastly, besides thanks, I would like to order two gib keys right away.  Please let me know how to do that.
Dan

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2023, 12:43:14 PM »
Sent you a PM, My buisiness is not conducted on open forums
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

listerclone

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2023, 05:15:12 AM »
38ac, I received the two gib keys today, thanks for the great service.
I have a standing appointment every Thursday afternoon to work on this engine.  Since I see that there are about 500 people following this thread I will keep you all updated and will figure out how to post pictures.  Besides, it is likely that I will have more questions.
My next step is to install the cam cover on the #2 side and then the #2 flywheel.  Then I will be making a timing pointer and finding and marking TDC on said flywheel.  Will also mark 20 degrees (I think) BTDC.