Puppeteer

Author Topic: Lister SR1 flywheel removal  (Read 563 times)

Denmeadercc

• View Profile
Lister SR1 flywheel removal
« on: June 07, 2023, 05:19:43 PM »
Hi, I'm a new member and undertake ground prep for my local cricket club. We have a roller with a lister SR1 engine that has developed a major oil leak when running. Is appears to be coming out by the flywheel, therefore I think it's the crankshaft seal. We have attempted to get the crankshaft but off (2 1\4) but can't get enough pressure on it without the flywheel turning. Is there a better way to lock the flywheel otherhthan a metal bar jamming it between the spokes.
Also any other suggestions on cause of leak  and is there anyone in the Portsmouth/Hampshire area that does servicing of these engines.

Thanks in advance.

Neil

Diesel Engineering

• View Profile
Re: Lister SR1 flywheel removal
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2023, 04:16:41 AM »
Lister used to supply a special spanner which we used to call a flogging spanner. It was basically a cranked spanner which was a good fit on the flywheel nut. It was designed to be hit hard with a lump hammer. This was enough to shock the bolt and loosen it. To refit was just a reverse operation.k

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2023, 08:32:38 AM »
I`m not sure about the SR1 engines but ST engines do not have a neoprene crankshaft seal behind the flywheel. Instead they have a felt seal with a thrower ring on the crankshaft behind it. A couple of possible causes of your problem are: the thrower ring is damaged and no longer doing its job or the drain hole that returns oil into the sump is clogged. Either way you will need to remove the flywheel, a flogging spanner and a 4 pound hammer should do the trick.

Bob

Diesel Engineering

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2023, 09:45:40 AM »
The SR engines were the same. As well as the tower ring the housing that holds the felt seal had course spiral machined into its internal diameter. The idea was that as the engine was spinning any oil excess would be forced into the engine. So the majority of oil should end up back in the engine before reaching the felt seal. Obviously as these engines were available in either rotation the correct seal carrier for the rotation needs to be fitted.*

Denmeadercc

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2023, 11:31:17 AM »
Thanks for your responses, I will try and get hold of a suitable sized flogger spanner. Neil