Puppeteer

Author Topic: Lister CS 12-2 rebuild  (Read 2423 times)

38ac

• View Profile
Re: Lister CS 12-2 rebuild
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2023, 01:43:04 AM »
Be sure the flywheels go back on the same side they came from due to the offset weight being on opposite sides. There are some NOS parts around but usually at prices for the wealthy. Also be aware of India parts being sold in LP boxes. I wont tackle that subject publicly but if you want to know who and what then send a PM. There are zero quality issues with most India parts that are made in actual factories. Pistons, rings, bearings, valves , fuel injection are all good stuff.

I'm not trying to alter your direction or pull a sales pitch for my parts business, just adding knowledge for you.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2023, 08:38:17 PM »
I agree with 38ac, most of the Indian parts I have had have been very good quality. The only issue I had with a new crankshaft for my CS6/1 was that the end float was excessive and I had to fit shims between the main bearing bushes and their housings.

Check any new parts you are using for casting sand, I found lots inside a new piston.

How does the camshaft look? The governor weight pivot pins on mine were badly worn.

Bob

Black Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2023, 03:24:42 PM »
Be sure the flywheels go back on the same side they came from due to the offset weight being on opposite sides. There are some NOS parts around but usually at prices for the wealthy. Also be aware of India parts being sold in LP boxes. I wont tackle that subject publicly but if you want to know who and what then send a PM. There are zero quality issues with most India parts that are made in actual factories. Pistons, rings, bearings, valves , fuel injection are all good stuff.

I'm not trying to alter your direction or pull a sales pitch for my parts business, just adding knowledge for you.

Thanks for your message, I appreciate your insite. I will just have to wait for the verdict on my crank before I move on to the next stage.

Black Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2023, 05:48:43 PM »
This is turning out to be a much bigger job than I expected. Considering a new crank and we go up from there. What are these engines worth? I am not doing this to make money, I am really keen just to have the old girl running again but it would be silly to spend four times what she is worth. I am not planning to sell her anyway.

Some idea of value for an overhauled running original Lister 12 - 2 12 HP 650 rpm please?

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2023, 10:55:11 AM »
There are many more CS Listers in Canada than here in the states thus they bring less money there..  Recent sales of CS twins here in the states that I am aware of range from $500 to $5000 with the low end being poor condition and the high end freshly and completely rebuilt.

Black Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2023, 11:33:01 PM »
I have a mass of new parts from India so time to start reassembly. Any one have any tips on the installation of the crank shaft? it looks like it is going to be a "fun" job. Cheers

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2023, 12:32:22 PM »
With the outside bearing housings loosely installed and the center bearing installed and tight. push and pull on the crankshaft to get an idea of the total end play. An indicator is of course best but not mandatory. Then remove about half the end play by shimming and tightening one of the end housings. Then shim the otber houzing so as to have .010-.015" and play. with everytbing tightened up. In short the goal is to have the and play controlled by the end housings NOT the center main. End play may be accomplished by feel but with an indicator costing $20 why? The crankshaftshaft should turn easily by hand when installed. Often times it takes a few whacks with a soft mallet to accomplish that. Leave the housings snug, not loose and not tight.  Then knock crankshaft up and down, sideways and end ways.  Remember I said a mallet, not a sledge hammer and your not trying to break it! just adjust it!!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2023, 12:36:58 PM by 38ac »

Black Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2023, 02:17:06 PM »
Thanks, that makes perfect sense. Is it normal for the main bearing shells to want to "spring" out of place? They will not sit in their housing.

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2023, 07:38:29 PM »
Yes, the last few sets I have installed had to be tapped into place. Its a good thing that they are tight in the housing but they should stay in place once knocked into place and not pop back out.

Black Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2023, 03:08:56 PM »
I have just discovered that my new crank (From India) has no timing marks on it! Any suggestions how I can add my own and get it correct first time!