Puppeteer

Author Topic: 12/2 Gib key will not budge  (Read 2309 times)

38ac

• View Profile
Re: 12/2 Gib key will not budge
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2023, 12:52:13 AM »
Best sand and slag remover tool is a needle scaler, not very expensive at Harbor freight
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

32 coupe

• "Doc Johnson" on call !
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2023, 02:50:45 PM »
Yes, a very handy tool.
Really the way to go for these type jobs.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2023, 10:10:40 PM by 32 coupe »
Metro 6/1 turning a ST 7.5 KW gen head
Changfa 1115 turning a ST 15 KW gen head
Ashwamegh 2/25
John Deere 110 TBL
New Holland TC 30

"I was sitting here reading this thinking what an idiot you are until I realized it was one of my earlier posts !"

dkmc

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2023, 04:22:49 AM »

My 6/1 Ashwemeg had thick paint over sand in the crankcase. The needle scaler easily broke thru it to reveal the surprise pockets of grit.
Machinist, fabricator, designer, fixer

Powdermonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2023, 03:22:14 PM »
I had a stuck gib-key.  Nothing would move it.  So, I wound up machining a jig that fit perfectly into the key-way. Then, I spotted and drilled a "pilot hole" in the jig, that would keep the drill bit perfectly centered in the jig, ergo also the key.  A long drill bit of ~ 3/8 inch (I really don't remember) drilled it out.  I saved that jig in the Listeroid "fix-it" box, just in case I needed it again.

I also hear tell from some sellers, that IF you heat the hub of the wheel up with a torch, you'll likely find success....never tried it.  But next time, I might.

keith71

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2023, 07:51:11 PM »
Made some progress with the needle scaler.. It has some sand hidden in pockets here and there.. I was expecting more. But have not finished it yet either..

The India assemblers spend so much time with that lousy bondo/plaster filler to make the outside as smooth as possible before they paint them.. 

Would that time be better spent with an old needle scaler and a little air compressor?  Even just 30 minutes would do alot for the sand problems in the crankcases.  They never even painted under where the cylinders and lifter blocks sit from underneath.

I guess this engine was barely run, bearings have some marks, but I think everything is going to be reuseable after cleaning all the parts.  Hopefully I got lucky. ::)
12/2 Field Marshall
Jiangdong R170.

32 coupe

• "Doc Johnson" on call !
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2023, 07:58:17 PM »
I painted the inside of my crankcase when I got done.
I was warned the oil would seep through the crankcase.

I used white rustolium (?) and it has held up fine through the years.
It takes a while to dry but I was in no hurry and it was months before I reassembled it.
The white makes it easy to see inside.

Metro 6/1 turning a ST 7.5 KW gen head
Changfa 1115 turning a ST 15 KW gen head
Ashwamegh 2/25
John Deere 110 TBL
New Holland TC 30

"I was sitting here reading this thinking what an idiot you are until I realized it was one of my earlier posts !"

keith71

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2023, 11:31:20 PM »
''I had a stuck gib-key.  Nothing would move it.  So, I wound up machining a jig that fit perfectly into the key-way. Then, I spotted and drilled a "pilot hole" in the jig, that would keep the drill bit perfectly centered in the jig, ergo also the key.  A long drill bit of ~ 3/8 inch (I really don't remember) drilled it out.  I saved that jig in the Listeroid "fix-it" box, just in case I needed it again.''

That is a great tip.. In fact I was almost going to do something like that for one of the flywheels.
12/2 Field Marshall
Jiangdong R170.