Author Topic: Lister Petter TR/TS3 injector pump problem  (Read 969 times)

GreekLes

• View Profile
Lister Petter TR/TS3 injector pump problem
« on: January 06, 2023, 01:17:41 PM »
Hi All,

New here, but help needed & UK sources appear useless!!

Got a L-P TR/TS3 running a 15kVA gen. - or it used to.   Didn't run it for about 5years, didn't need it, & when I went to start it it wouldn't fire.   Turned over OK, but no healthy vrummm.
Much moaning, taking bits apart, found that the fuel injector pump was not working - linkage from 2nd cylinder to 3rd wasn't turning at 3, no fuel, no firing.
Removed the pump, tried to free it - big joke.   Took it to local "engineer" (loose term, on a remote Greek island) who tried to compress the base spring to allow the pump to be dismantled.   There must be a way to do this, but we couldn't work out how to get that central spigot out of the base plate, so couldn't get the thing apart.   But, this did 'sort of' free the accelerator (is that the right term?) "thingy" but it still wasn't completely free.
Still there??    Good!!!

So, ordered a new one from UK (nearest source).   OMG, Brexit is a PITA.    Eventually the new pump arrived.    Nice, bright, clean, new smelling, but longer than the original.   According to what I've Googled, it is the correct part & is interchangeable with my original one.
But it's longer.    From the shoulder that sits in the engine block to the base of the spring that contacts the tappet it is approx. 8mm longer.
To me, that's a problem.   Contacted the supplier in the UK (there's really only one now) & got a "yes, it should be the same, it should work OK, it shouldn't be a problem".   Not what I wanted to hear, I wanted "it IS the same, it WILL work, it WON'T be a problem".
Contacted a refurbishing company UK, who said the same as the company that supplied this unit, with the same "should's".

So  HELP!!!!!
To my way of thinking, if the unit is 8mm longer, the tappet needs to be shortened by the same amount to make the pump work as it should, otherwise once it is bolted down the spring will already be compressed & this will put undue stress on the tappet, guide, bush, etc.    Can't easily bush between the pump bse & the block as it has an oil seal that fits into the hole in the block, so I'd need to get a block machined to fill the gap & provide the seal.

Hopefully someone out there will recognise all this & be able to put me right.

Cheers all.
PS  Sending back, with all of the customs paperwork & cost of return really would be last resort.

cobbadog

• View Profile
Re: Lister Petter TR/TS3 injector pump problem
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2023, 04:40:01 AM »
G'Day Les and welcome to this side of the world.
First thing I would do is try it as it is. If it works your in business and the world is a better place again. If not return it and tell them what the problem is and that would be that it does not match up with the others as they said it would, that then becomes their problem not yours.
Makes it a bit tricky to get the complete idea without pictures but in general know what your saying. I too would have questioned the supplier endlessly.
As for stripping the old pump from memory mine was held in place by a wire circlip then it came apart. Sounds as if you had some moisture in there for it to seize up. Do you have the numbers of the original pump and of the one supplied by chance?
Coopernook - the centre of our Universe.

Diesel Engineering

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2023, 05:01:40 AM »
There have been a few different pumps fitted over the years. Probably not worth worrying to much about measurements. You will only know if it works when you try to carry out the spill timing. You certainly do not want to be altering the pump or trying to put packers below it. Do t know who you have been dealing with in the past but the main dealer for Lister Petter in the UK is a company called Sleeman & Hawken, tel 01626 778266. They should be able to advise as they will have all the records.

Diesel Engineering

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2023, 05:05:25 AM »
More info

Diesel Engineering

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2023, 05:06:13 AM »
More info

Diesel Engineering

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2023, 05:07:08 AM »
More info

Diesel Engineering

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2023, 05:07:57 AM »
More info

Diesel Engineering

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2023, 05:09:46 AM »
More info. Sorry couldn't figure out how to post more than one at a time.

GreekLes

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2023, 07:56:26 AM »
Thanks for the replies guys.

Cobbadog - yeah, that's what the 2 "engineering" company's in the UK are implying, just put it in & try it.   Bit reluctant coz of the big difference in length of the spring bit at the bottom (wonderfully shown in Diesel Engineering's extracts from the parts manual).   One or two mm & I'd not be so reluctant.    Sending back, Brexit's made that a pain & a costly one too!

Diesel Engineering - got those drawings, found the manual & downloaded, would have been lost without it.    The company you mentioned were the ones who supplied the new pump.    Should have gone for a refurb. from Stationary Engines, but the paperwork for that would have been even worse & I was getting so many conflicting versions of what paperwork - Customs & them don't agree on the forms I needed to do, didn't want my return getting stuck or dumped as it would have cost me a packet.
Aftersales service not great, just got a message to say that if it's a TR or TS it's fine.   Being 2,000miles away does make it difficult to shake the person warmly by the throat if it isn't fine.

Looks like I'm gonna have to give it a suck, as the saying goes.   Just hope there aren't any major loud bangs, knocks, rattles.

Cheers all, I'll try it then post again.

Diesel Engineering

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2023, 08:44:51 AM »
I'm surprised by the the lack of info from that company because they now actually own the Lister Petter company and should be very knowledgeable. Another UK contact for advice and spares is Marine Engine Services tel 01926 356200. They are normally very helpful and happy to give advice. You should be able to find all there contact info on Google. It might just be worth dropping them an email.

Diesel Engineering

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2023, 08:57:38 AM »
Also another name which has just come back to me and maybe closer to where you are is Xanthis S.A. They are in Piraeus Greece. At one point they were major Lister dealers and I see the still list  Lister engines on there website. Best of luck with it all.j

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2023, 10:06:17 AM »
Well done with all that helpful info Diesel.
Coopernook - the centre of our Universe.

Moteurdelco

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2023, 04:40:22 PM »
 An injector pump with a seized plunger (up in the barrel) will be shorter than a free one??