Author Topic: Electric car question  (Read 4067 times)

cobbadog

• View Profile
Re: Electric car question
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2023, 10:06:43 AM »
Bob, if you lived in our little village you cannot get by without your own generator. For what ever reason and never had it explained as to why we get so many black out and more planned ouittages as they call them. Because we shop once a week we buy a lot of tucker and freeze it where possible, even my fresh full cream milk. So when the power fails I go out and start up my 2.5kw genset and run the fridge and freezer.
We are now 1 week into a 7 week holiday and got a notifucation from our Electrickery (almost) supplier that yet another planned outtage is going to happen while we are away. All we can do is hope the tucker in the freezer will be eatable when we get back.
Coopernook - the centre of our Universe.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2023, 07:41:37 AM »
Hi Cobbadog, that is why I always insist on having a back up generator, the bigger the better. When I lived in Nymboida power outages were a regular event, the problem was usually falling trees, poor maintenance or shutting the whole grid down for maintenance. The trouble with small rural communities is that when the power goes out the only way to report the fault is by telephone or internet, neither of which work once the power goes out!  :laugh:

I`m hoping all your frozen goods will be ok. You can claim against the electric company for losses incurred but you will die of starvation waiting for them to deal with your claim!

My advice is enjoy your holiday and sort out any mess when you get home, seven weeks sounds like a very good road trip, have fun.

Bob

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2023, 10:12:38 AM »
Yeah Bob, claim against them mongrels!
Problem is you wont know if the tucker is good or bad until you thaw  it out. Most of ours are lack of maintenance but we get higher charges.
Coopernook - the centre of our Universe.

veggie

• Keep Calm and Start the Lister !
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2023, 02:31:21 AM »
38AC,

Yes, it is certainly do-able.
If I had a EV then this is how I would charge it....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjFhE_5pnXo

The efficiency of the energy conversion is not so important since you say that you have an endless supply of free WVO.
Just do it !   ;)
- 6/1 GM90 Listeroid - Delco 33si Alternator
- Changfa R175 - Lease/Neville Alternator
- JiangDong R165 Air cooled - 2 kw
- Changfa S195 (Waiting for a project)

glassblower

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2023, 04:33:25 PM »
Probably cheaper and more reliable to charge by a lister then the grid now in some parts of the world.
8-1 Powerline, 6-1 Powerline, Automann 8-1, Lister Petter AC1, Hatz, Rumely Oilpulls

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 21, 2023, 04:28:44 PM »
Hi All
Are we on the brink of a CS revival? All we need to do is get the clip Veggie found to go viral and we might all be cashing in.

As the price  of houses plummets in the UK and Europe maybe old Listers are coming back in......

I've got two and a half of them and over 1000 litres of filtered veg oil!

Cheers
Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

glassblower

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 21, 2023, 11:09:08 PM »
I know earlier in this thread there was a discussion about EV and the costs to build, run, etc. I ran across an interesting article today relating to those "green" batteries. Discusses the toxic waste at the nickel mines, thought I would share.

https://tinyurl.com/4yuspme7
8-1 Powerline, 6-1 Powerline, Automann 8-1, Lister Petter AC1, Hatz, Rumely Oilpulls