Puppeteer

Author Topic: Electric car question  (Read 4068 times)

38ac

• View Profile
Re: Electric car question
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2022, 09:47:16 PM »
Bruce, I also have a new 12/2 and 16/2 India clones here so. I have some choices as to the prime mover. When and if I get closer to doing this the real questions with some facts can be presented. The ball park information I needed to start my thought process has been presented here I think, thanks all!
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2022, 10:20:50 PM »
A generator charger which could do the 4 KW of battery pre-heating on a sub zero morning could be helpful.  I saw a video where a -12F cold soaked Tesla M3 (parked overnight next to the charger) took 40 minutes of 4KW heating before it would then charge the battery.  If the car is garaged and/or kept above freezing, then that's a non issue. 

32 coupe

• "Doc Johnson" on call !
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2022, 12:54:31 AM »
I think about.....

How much "free fuel" do you have ?
How much will you have in the engine, frame, gen head, nuts, bolts etc,etc,etc.?
How much do you spend on the car ?
How much will you drive it ?

X amount of $ for a car that will loose 30%, give or take, charge loss/conversion right off the bat.
Then said car battery craps out x amount of time down the road and the car is basically worthless.
One of the things I think about is how many of these cars will end up rotting in the ground out behind the
barn somewhere.  Problem ?

I think electric cars are a great idea. The tech has made great strides the last few years. I just don't
think we are there yet with the current batterys.
Hydrogen seems to be gaining ground ?

IF i were think along the new car lines I would.probibly look at the hybrid line. They seem to do well.

Now that I have made a complete a** of myself with my stupidity I will amble away.

Enjoy,
Gary

Metro 6/1 turning a ST 7.5 KW gen head
Changfa 1115 turning a ST 15 KW gen head
Ashwamegh 2/25
John Deere 110 TBL
New Holland TC 30

"I was sitting here reading this thinking what an idiot you are until I realized it was one of my earlier posts !"

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2022, 04:50:10 AM »
Gary you are now officially the 'target'.  ;D

I tend to lean the same way as you with full electric car. Living in a rural area there are only 2 charging stations not including any at home if it ever happens here. So when your out and about anywhere and you need to charge how long does it take to re-charge and what happens when there is a line up of others waiting for the same service? That to me is why I find the Hybrid more appealing but and there is always a but, As mentioned what is the life expectancy of the batteries, what is the cost of disposal and replacement batteries compared to driving an internal combustion engine. I tend to keep my vehicles for around 500,000 klms and at that stage other than regular servicing by myself the cost of EV's are to me too scarey. One big thing in their favour is performance, they do go like a scalded cat and watching those EV Aldis in last years Dakar Rally was so exciting but they do need a sound system to play the sound of a roaring V8 running over the dunes.
Very soon they are talking of running EV semi trailers and even B doubles up and down the Pacific highway near us. Back in Taree they are building a new truck yard where trucks can park up, get serviced and change over drivers and loads. Part of this will be an exchange battery service for these EV trucks. Now Sydney is about 350 klms north of Taree and this will be at the maximum distance they would want to travel before calling on a portable genset to get them going after a long charge period. The next battery exchange service going north will be Grafton then they should be able to make it to Brisbane. So 3 stop overs and allowing a 15 minute period to change the batteries over proving the service is provided for straight away takes away 45 minutes off the drivers log book. A diesel truck on average does 4 trips before needing fueling and some are now doing better than that and not because of a larger fuel tank.

Now I too can be a target as well.
Coopernook - the centre of our Universe.

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2022, 05:43:17 PM »
Hi Butch

Have a look at this.....

https://cleantechnica.com/2022/02/22/french-startup-transition-one-wants-to-supercharge-ev-conversions-with-its-ecological-transition-solution/

It's French outfit that started a couple of years back, they were doing a short range (100k / 65 miles) conversion on your car for €8000 (about the same in USD) with a €3000 tax rebate!

Very KISS, aimed art those who commute locally and with a smaller battery  the car is hauling around less weight.....

It won't suit lots of folks but for the sort of mileage you do in a week it would fit, and I'd think charging times / requirements would be well suited to a CS or similar.......

Cheers
Stef

Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

32 coupe

• "Doc Johnson" on call !
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2022, 06:51:01 PM »
Why not just put a Changfa in it  ?
Metro 6/1 turning a ST 7.5 KW gen head
Changfa 1115 turning a ST 15 KW gen head
Ashwamegh 2/25
John Deere 110 TBL
New Holland TC 30

"I was sitting here reading this thinking what an idiot you are until I realized it was one of my earlier posts !"

broncodriver99

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2022, 09:05:16 PM »
Why not just put a Changfa in it  ?

I like it.

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2023, 07:33:45 AM »
Hi all

Using a Changfa and cutting out all the options between the waste oil and power at the wheels is not a bad idea!

Why not simply get a 'classic' vehicle and run that on the available oil?

In the UK a Series land rover, pre 1984 ish would be free of road tax, MOT (the annual inspection) and dirt cheap for insurance. the 2 1/4 litre diesel is pre direct injection, will run on waste oil or WVO, which, as far as I know is still allowed, up to 1000 litres per year.

As a bonus it has no electronics so is easy to service and will withstand the electromagnetic pulse if the worst comes to the worst!

It might even be considered an investment....

Cheers
Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2023, 10:02:39 AM »
You may find that the UK government frown on using waste oil in vehicles for the same reason most others do, they do not collect fuel tax. From memory in the past a driver would be fined heavily for running fish n chip oil but running waste sump oil may be different.

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2023, 05:35:30 PM »
Hi Cobba

I don't know if it still stands but a few years - 8 / 10? - there was an EEC edict to the effect that any one in a member state which agreed could use up to 1000 litres of recycled fuel a year without notifying the tax man or paying duty.

The UK signed up, France didn't, guess where I live now!

There's talk of allowing people to use recycled fuel here now, I think it's one of the face saving moves that will get a lot of trumpeting whilst the powers that be fail to mention how little a dent it will actually make in dino consumption.

I've been running around with 20 / 30% of filtered WVO in my 200 TDI Landy for 6/7 years now, it even passes the emission test every year, you can tell by the smell whether the oil was used for fish and chips or doughnuts, I use it in my off grid genny too.

All I do is filter it and make sure it's blended before fill the tank up, I've had no issues, legal or mechanical.

As an aside, have a look at this, truly unbelievable

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2L9dm85Zm0&ab_channel=GeoffBuysCars

Cheers
Stef

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2023, 08:28:45 PM »
Loved the video Stef, tells us everything we need to know about EVs. I guess the UK Post Office service (UK tax payer) is going to have to invest very heavily in solar panels to try to reduce some of those running costs. That won`t help with the battery replacement issue or how they are going to recycle all those dud batteries.

My personal favorite for WVO is the trusty old Toyota Hilux 3.0 L diesel pre 2002 when they changed to common rail injection system.
Where I now live, Bicheno Tasmania, is a tourist destination for thousands. Tourists love fried seafood so plenty of WVO available. When I last went to the local tip there were 50 or more 20 L drums of the stuff waiting to be sent for incineration. If I live long enough, a WVO filtering setup is one of my next projects.

Bob

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2023, 11:30:46 PM »
Yes, I too enjoyed that video. It did answer some of the questions that Dee and I have been wondering about especially the battery cost, life and replacement. It appears that this is why some of the aging EVs are for sale and cheap as well. Dee asked a few EV drivers online about the costs and most answered that they had a roof full of solar panels then she asked how much did that cost to put up and now include that into your running costs. Deathly silence.
So a Hybrid may be the better option for those who want an EV but give me a fossil fuel vehicle any time

glassblower

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2023, 02:30:47 AM »
Hi Butch

Have a look at this.....

https://cleantechnica.com/2022/02/22/french-startup-transition-one-wants-to-supercharge-ev-conversions-with-its-ecological-transition-solution/

Build your own electric vehicle Butch, you've got the equipment, and it isn't too difficult. They offer kits for conversion for many typical cars and light trucks. I built my own about 7 years ago from an old S10 but fabricated the motor adapter plate and mounts myself. Nothing long range but just to slog around town and it hits highway speeds as well. I bought AGM blems for mine, did a DC motor. I'm currently working on an electric motorcycle with a 3 phase motor driven by a 48volt Lithium pack.

http://www.evalbum.com/1469
8-1 Powerline, 6-1 Powerline, Automann 8-1, Lister Petter AC1, Hatz, Rumely Oilpulls

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2023, 04:54:06 AM »
There was a guy parting out Tesla parts and doing well from doing that which those with the need to convert have been supporting him. All motors and switches etc needed

glassblower

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2023, 03:04:35 PM »
I did a search and found several companies selling the complete kit to convert a vehicle to electric.

https://www.evwest.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=40?osCsid=8936e5503ccaa8b653b8c328da82259a

https://electricgt.com/product-category/gte-vehicle-systems/

https://www.electricmotorsport.com/ev-parts/motors/motor-mounts-adapters/vehicle-adapter-plates?limit=all

When I started my conversion 10 years ago or so, there was only a few companies building conversion kits. I ended up machining my own adapter
plate, modifying the frame to hold batteries (the bed tilts up on gas shocks to access them) and gutted everything electrical since it was flooded
and I was building my own computer to run the electronics. Now there is kits that do much of this for you and it's simply a matter of removing the
ICE and installing the electric parts. I did it more for a hobby project and educational and ended up modifying a bucket truck here at work to run electric.
The beauty of a home built system is I not force to take it to a dealer and pay for computer assessments and work. Does it go as far and as fast and
cost as much as a Tesla, No.  But it's simple, a motor, DC motor controller, batteries and a charger and gets me to town and back a very little electric.
8-1 Powerline, 6-1 Powerline, Automann 8-1, Lister Petter AC1, Hatz, Rumely Oilpulls