Author Topic: Electric car question  (Read 4069 times)

glassblower

• View Profile
Re: Electric car question
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2023, 03:11:46 PM »
And not making this political, but the infrastructure bill signed in Nov. of 2021 will require all new cars as of 2026 to have a remote kill switch. 
8-1 Powerline, 6-1 Powerline, Automann 8-1, Lister Petter AC1, Hatz, Rumely Oilpulls

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2023, 04:12:03 PM »
Hi All

I believe that Glassblower is going down the right road (see the pun?) and if you multiply that by the ability to generate your own electricity it's got to to be both 'green', minimum amount of new materials, maximum amount of old materials recycled,
and one less new vehicle built.

Win, win, win situation, even if it's beyond most people to build their own and generate cheap electricity, simply re purposing the family runabout and extending it's life by ten years or more - the life of the battery pack, most probably - is at least one win.....

Getting the government and the youth of today to do something other than that which will guarantee winning the next five year term in office is another story!

Cheers
Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2023, 01:02:27 PM »
And not making this political, but the infrastructure bill signed in Nov. of 2021 will require all new cars as of 2026 to have a remote kill switch.

Ya just wait for the gobblins to get a hold of that, chaos on the roads >:(
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

glassblower

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2023, 07:30:10 PM »
Friday Fun Facts:

One Electric Car Battery requires:
500 tons of Ore to refine 25 lbs of Lithium
300 gal of fuel to move the ore
Lithium is refined by using sulfuric acid.
The mine at Thacker Pass (in Nevada) mines about 60,000
tons of Ore annually and requires 75 semi loads of acid per day.

One Tesla Battery requires:
25 lbs of Lithium
60 lbs of nickel
44 lbs of Manganese
30 lbs of Cobalt
200 lbs of Copper
400 lbs of Aluminum steel and plastic

Plus a tremendous amount of energy supplied by coal, nuclear or gas fired
power plants.

I feel better now about my Detroit steel that can get shredded and recycled into another truck when it wears out.
8-1 Powerline, 6-1 Powerline, Automann 8-1, Lister Petter AC1, Hatz, Rumely Oilpulls

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2023, 08:18:21 AM »
Hi All

Probably not the correct place to post this but it does follow on from the Royal Mail video and makes me wonder what else is going on we don't know about.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj53q_9dZak&ab_channel=GeoffBuysCars

Cheers Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2023, 07:30:08 AM »
Hi Stef, I dread to think what else is going on that we don`t know about. The figures glassblower posted are very scary. Australia pretty much depends for it`s income on digging very large holes and removing the fuels and ores. I guess they will be digging ever bigger holes!

Bob

glassblower

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2023, 01:00:08 PM »
That's the battery side of the equation, let's look at the power side. I work in the electric power industry and have read many stats about the requirements for charging.

For example, we know that California has mandated all cars sold by 2035 to be electric and 35% be electric by 2026. They currently have about 80,000 chargers but need another 1.2 million chargers to accommodate all of those cars just by 2030, let alone 2035. Estimates that the state will require an additional 300,000 gigawatt hours of power to accommodate these vehicles. To put that in perspective, a typical Nuke plant generates between 1-2 Gigawatts. I'm sure some of these numbers are inflated but looking at the state of the California power grid, you have to ask yourself if this is a wise move. Will they need more solar, wind, gas or nuke plants to support this? God forbid coal plants for the Green folks. Side note about coal, I spoke with a contractor that has torn down several coal plants in the area. He told me that they almost always get sold to the Chinese, the whole plant except the scrubbers. Yes, we have to comply with clean air but the Chinese reinstall our plants without the scrubbers.

I installed six electric vehicle chargers in our city about 10 years ago with a state and DOE grant. They've worked great and it was to more or less promoting downtown shopping (unless a drunk college kids destroys one). Guess what, they now get used by the daily commuter working downtown or living nearby and chargers for free (we give the electric away on these). Our grid can handle more chargers to a point into the future. But fast forward say 20 years from now if everything was electric and all of the old houses that have a 60 amp or 100 amp service. No way can those homes handle a fast charger to recharge to full capacity overnight. Now think about the transformers in the neighborhoods, all undersized. The primary conductors into those neighborhoods and the wire size into the homes. The substation transformers and equipment will all need to be upsized which we are doing now for some other large customers and a large solar field going in nearby at a tremendous cost that will get passed on to the consumer. Then throw in a couple cold snaps like we just had where the electric grid was strained for heating or something really stupid like a solar flare that destroys half of the grid then we'll all be Amish for a few years. So I think looking at the big picture of electric there is many problems facing it and we just can't flip a switch and ditch fossil fuel.

Sorry for the Monday morning Rant... I haven't had my coffee yet.

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2023, 04:37:54 AM »
It sure is an eye opener all those stats. Heard similar a long time back about the existing power grid not being able to cope with a small increase of EV never mind a huge increase. Will the cost of new infrastructure be added to the cost of power to run our homes and EV's,,,you bet it will.
Coopernook - the centre of our Universe.

broncodriver99

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2023, 07:20:38 AM »
you bet it will.

As well as a tax and an administrative fee.

sirpedrosa

• 21NOV2019 - Finally I hear that sound... again
    • View Profile
Electric car question - ELECTRIC?
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2023, 02:32:42 PM »
Gentles

All of you know I can adjective myself as a "Moron", becuse of this paranoia of restoring ancient engines, aka simple Otto engines, with Rudolf Diesel efficiency.

Already told wife, if world come to war like that disgrace at Ukrania, maybe an old Lister can make the diference! Just my 5 cents!!!

But we all know nothing is eternal.

that said! if we look back... till industrial revolution, things just went smaller, like the first computer... now in your pocket.

Take a loock at a lead bat. Its infinitly reciclable, at low cost! What about a lithium bat?

Here we have thoses with a fancy electric, or hybrid or BS alike, that want to make 300km and after 30km it turn to gas, and swallows 12 liters/100km because it must push almost a tone of dead bateries.

Electric, only tolls, and the bread toaster... and not all (some are compressor powered)!

Stay tunned.
VP
By order of firing up:
Bernard 18A - 1968 (mama's water pump - year of my birth)
Petter PAZ1 - Jun 1967, 3HP, sn 416xxxx
Petter PAZ1 - Nov 1979, 3HP, sn 425xxxx
Lister 12/2 - 12651227, the pearl!
Deutz MAH 914, 1952 - Zündfix in chamber and go (7Mai2023).

glassblower

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2023, 04:52:37 PM »
This is perfect timing for this conversation, Just read this one last night. :

Biden admin seeks ban on gas stoves based on single meta-analysis co-authored by climate activist group seeking ‘carbon free buildings’

By: Marc Morano - Climate DepotJanuary 10, 2023 9:51 AM

Biden Admin Considers Banning Gas Stoves over Health Concerns – Used in about 40% of homes in the U.S. – A federal agency may look to ban gas stoves over concern about the release of pollutants that can cause health and respiratory problems, according to a new report. The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission is set to open public comment on the dangers of gas stoves sometime this winter. The commission could set standards on emissions from the gas stoves, or even look to ban the manufacture or import of the appliances, commissioner Richard Trumka Jr. told Bloomberg News. “This is a hidden hazard,” Trumka told the outlet. “Any option is on the table. Products that can’t be made safe can be banned.”

So the alternative to Gas kitchen stoves is ? ..... "Drum Roll Please" ....  ELECTRIC !

In this article I read a mention of gas furnaces as well, then found this :

California is set to ban the sale of gas-powered furnaces and water heaters by 2030.

It will be the first US state to do so amid a slew of progressive measures to tackle the climate crisis by cutting planet-heating emissions, largely caused by burning fossil fuels.

The California Air Resources Board (CARB) unanimously approved the proposal for zero-emission residential and commercial space and water heaters on Thursday. The measure is part of a larger plan to transition the state away from fossil fuels and to renewable power and other sources of clean energy.

“Beginning in 2030, 100 percent of sales of new space heaters and water heaters would need to comply with the emission standard,” the 2022 statewide strategy stated, adding that CARB will work with communities on the potential housing costs and affordability impacts.

See a pattern here, eliminate all fossil fuel driven equipment whatever. California is already working on banning Gas kitchen stoves, hot water heaters and house furnaces. From a country that has plenty of natural gas resources yet they want to force everyone to go electric. I have a neighbor that has an all electric house and brags about the savings with his heat pump. I asked what do you do when the electric goes out in the winter. His reply was we use a little Coleman 3KW generator and run a space heater and asked what we do. I said we throw another log on the fire and start a pot of coffee and maybe start a generator if we want to watch the news.   Like sirpedrosa said, "an old lister can make the difference"

Sorry, Don't mean to high jack the thread but I love my old engines and hate new technology.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2023, 08:42:12 PM »
It is very strange that we have governments around the world rushing to eliminate the use of fossil fuels by replacing everything with electricity while at the same time failing to invest in the generating and distribution needed to provide that electricity.

I think owning an old, reliable home generator is probably more important now than ever, along with a stock of fuel. Can`t wait to have my old CS 6/1 running again.

Tasmania is a bit of an exception because it has a lot of cheap hydro electric generation, but recent announcements suggest we are facing price hikes of 36%, the argument is that electricity prices are determined by world prices, what that has to do with the price of hydro electric here remains a mystery. Profit before people?

Bob

cujet

• Lister power rules!
    • View Profile
    • www.cujet.com
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2023, 08:21:26 PM »
I thought I'd post this:

He mounts a gasoline powered high voltage generator in the "trunk" of his Tesla. It directly charges the battery pack.
Conclusion: 14mpg at 80 and 24mpg at 50mph.

Many others have charged Tesla cars from portable generators. The results are between 12 and 29MPG. (Honda EU2000, Cummins turbodiesel)

While a Lister diesel is more efficient and diesel has more energy per gallon, the system in the "Cordless Tesla" video below did directly feed the pack during driving (a good thing for efficiency as it reduces battery in/out losses) and did not suffer from the 10+% 120/240V charger losses of the built in charger.

https://youtu.be/hHhf223jGIE
« Last Edit: February 12, 2023, 08:25:08 PM by cujet »
People who count on their fingers should maintain a discreet silence

cujet

• Lister power rules!
    • View Profile
    • www.cujet.com
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2023, 08:26:02 PM »
Should you power your EV with a Listeroid? Why not! Add in a nice solar array for sunny days and enjoy silent motoring.
People who count on their fingers should maintain a discreet silence

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2023, 08:37:14 PM »
+1 on Lister on free fuel plus solar charging an EV.

I enjoyed the Telsa video. Nuts for the noise levels but lots of fun to watch.  Diesel electric trains have long proven that approach.