General Category > General Discussion

Electric car question

(1/11) > >>

38ac:
OK gang, Im not really the mathematical type and certainly have a very light hold on electrical stuff. Have a question that's pretty ambiguous but has to be that way for now.
I keep a little old car around for my local trips. Currently a 2006 Ford Focus. Gets 25MPG or so on short trips and 35 on the road. I will be replacing it in the next year or so and considering a full electric,, not a hybred. Reason being I have a near endless supply of waste oil, plenty of India clones and ST heads. On to my question. Would it be a logical thought to think that a gallon of oil generating power to charge the car would roughly equate to a miles per gallon if used as engine fuel?

sirpedrosa:
Butch, Gentles

Butch... you want to turn to a toaster?

Hellloooo!

I cant belive you gona change LEF profile.  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Im loocking foorward to see that!

It gona be like this! Take a loock!

Have a nice year.
VP

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

38ac:
If I can generate the charging current with waste oil in an efficient manner its something to consider, If not then I will stay with dino. It does not make sence to me to have the cost pf two systems of power in one vehicle aka hybrid, I would want straight electric,, I think???

broncodriver99:

--- Quote from: 38ac on December 27, 2022, 02:00:09 PM ---Would it be a logical thought to think that a gallon of oil generating power to charge the car would roughly equate to a miles per gallon if used as engine fuel?

--- End quote ---

I am sure it is calculable but you would need quite a bit of information to do so.

Is it going to be efficient, I highly doubt it. The most realistic numbers I have seen from power grid operators is that about 35% of the energy in the fuel used to generate electricity actually makes it to one's home with transmission/conversion losses. Their plants operate at close to 100% efficiency.

A listeroid is going to be somewhere around 30-35% efficient at converting fuel energy into mechanical energy, a cheap gen head will be somewhere in the realm of 70% efficient at converting mechanical energy into electrical energy, depending on your battery charger it will be somewhere around 60% efficient at taking said electricity and converting it and charging the batteries with charging losses as I don't believe batteries accept anywhere near 100% of the energy provided during charging.

If you could figure out how much waste oil it takes for you to generate 1kwh of electricity then you may be able to pull the charging data on a specific vehicle and extrapolate an average charging cost and divide that by the average mileage you would get from a charge.

That is one of the reasons the big push on EV charging is for solar, it is about the only way that makes any economical sense. If you were to find an old diesel VW Rabbit or pickup or an old Mecedes diesel and run it on waste oil that would get you orders of magnitude further with less effort.

32 coupe:
Short answer.....no

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version