Author Topic: Lister CD8 Diesel  (Read 5698 times)

cobbadog

• View Profile
Re: Lister CD8 Diesel
« Reply #75 on: January 17, 2023, 03:44:01 AM »
Put the fuel tank and filter on and bled the system then the radiator went on. This radiator had to replace the original honey comb one (in the shed) as it is way past repair. This one came from a Toyota Hilux and with some slight modification and a new mounting bracket I made up plus the steady half way down it works a treat. Note the modified radiator cap because it is a thermo syphon system not pressurised.
After some cranking with my bad shoulders I got some smoke, blue at first now black. It almost want to start up but I run out of power to keep cranking the starter motor as I call it. Just to see if it would get me over the line I tried some start ya bastard and again I ran out of steam.
So tomorrow it is time to belt the bastard up to the David Brown tractor and give it what for.
Coopernook - the centre of our Universe.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 17, 2023, 07:31:35 AM »
Hi Cobbadog, looks like you have made great progress. Hooking up a tractor with a belt drive should get it running, you should have done that earlier rather than damage the shoulders.
The Hilux radiator should be fine but is probably far more cooling than is required, does the CD8 have a thermostat? You can always fit some baffles to reduce the air flow/effective cooling surface area.
Best of luck getting it running tomorrow, try not to resort to start ya bastard, engines have a bad habit of becoming addicted to it and won`t start without it.
Hoping for first smoke,

Bob

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 17, 2023, 10:00:03 AM »
Hi Bob,
Ray has had his first couple of smokes and black for some reason. The extra compression at the moment is what is holding me back as it puts a lot of stress on both stuffed shoulders. Before it was far easier and started after 2 swings on the handle. Yeah the start ya bastard is back on the shelf and once I get Lorry moved forward, batteries on charge over night, then have to align David and away Ray should go.
All being well Ray will be on video tomorrow, I hope.  :o   ::)

broncodriver99

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 17, 2023, 01:44:45 PM »
Got the popcorn ready. Looking forward to seeing it go again.

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 18, 2023, 03:37:25 AM »
Start eating your popcorn.
Well it took a lot to get set up so the belt didn't come off and then it took a while to not just fire but keep running but he did it. This is the very beginning of the mosquito control for our little village, more to come.
https://youtu.be/nkefmulVdJQ

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 18, 2023, 03:48:30 AM »
Here Ray is running on the throttle set position on the rack/fuel pump. I guess this is for when he is running a generator, it is a small piece of metal that throws over and stops the rack from opening up to full position. He has now run for well over half a hour with no previous issues showing up. I have had him opened up to full throttle for a short time and more black smoke came out but I guess this is because the new rings have not bedded in yet.
https://youtu.be/hg2fGu8lR-A

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 18, 2023, 04:00:41 AM »
Here Ray is under load, well a little bit. This piece of over 100 years old hardwood sure smokes well. The first side had a nail in it and sparks came off that quite well so I turned it over and made smoke. I think I found a small issue but will investigate that later to confirm. I have had Ray on full throttle and he tossed more black smoke out but guess this is because the new rings are not bedded in yet. Happy he is starting off the starter motor/crank handle again. After his long run the heat was evenly spread around the cylinder and head. The radiator top tank was warm to hot and bottom warm only so the thermo syphyon is working. It is also amazing how much air that fan draws though the radiator and this is with out a shroud that was on the original radiator.
Bloody Happy as.
https://youtu.be/OqojstHw3To

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 18, 2023, 07:14:17 AM »
Well done Cobbadog, Ray is finally running again after all your efforts, I would have consumed a bucket of popcorn watching the videos, sadly I don`t have any so I settled for a glass of red wine which I raise in a toast to your perseverance and determination.
Congratulations mate.

Bob

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 18, 2023, 09:58:15 AM »
Thanks Bob for your kind thoughts and help during the restoration, if you can call it that.
Some that know mw well would suggest that I am 'stubbourn' rather than perseverance or determination which I got from Granny.
Ray the engine was named after my late Dad and I had the engine running in a fashion and he saw and heard not long before he passed. This model engine took him back to when he was a boy on a dairy farm having to start it up for the water for the dairy and market garden. I still remember the look in his eyes as he listened to it tick over.  Love and miss you dearly Pa.

32 coupe

• "Doc Johnson" on call !
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 18, 2023, 03:48:12 PM »

Good job !
Metro 6/1 turning a ST 7.5 KW gen head
Changfa 1115 turning a ST 15 KW gen head
Ashwamegh 2/25
John Deere 110 TBL
New Holland TC 30

"I was sitting here reading this thinking what an idiot you are until I realized it was one of my earlier posts !"

broncodriver99

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 18, 2023, 06:48:29 PM »
Nicely done! Another one saved. Congrats!