Puppeteer

Author Topic: Lister CD8 Diesel  (Read 5680 times)

ajaffa1

• View Profile
Re: Lister CD8 Diesel
« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2023, 07:51:22 PM »
G`day Cobba, that gasket looks to have cleaned up very well. I would try reusing it if a replacement can`t be found. In the past I have done this successfully by applying a little aircraft gasket sealer to both mating faces. The product is too thick for easy application so I thin it down with methylated spirits and then apply thin coats with a soft paintbrush.

Bob

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2023, 11:37:29 PM »
Bob, in the past I have used a spray on copper gasket spray that is sticky and has worked well in the past, I think it is a Permatex product but another mob make a similar product. I have been told to anneal the gasket and that is simple to do but I dont think that this type of sandwich gasket would take to that process as I dont know what is in the middle, asbestos or ?? Another idea that was run past me was to soak the gasket in hot water to swell the contents up.
gasketstogo will have a final reply tomorrow about this exact gasket. Rings should be here later in the week or early next
Coopernook - the centre of our Universe.

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2023, 04:50:09 AM »
Well this is the biggest clue to the lock ups. Totally blocked on this side but not so bad on the other and is why I could pour coolant into the radiator and get it to run out of the drain tap easily. But this side was almost like clay as you can see in my hand. I dug around inside for a long time dragging out dirt and clay until I could not reach it with my fingers so out came the air blower and 100psi got things on the move.

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2023, 04:58:33 AM »
Looking down the water jackets that go to the head are now clean enough. Then the opening on the opposite side where the radiator support bracket attaches to was open and only a small amount of crap at that opening. Just some of the dirt that was dug out on the first side. Radiator outlet side clean again.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2023, 07:19:33 AM »
Wow Cobbadog, what happened to It? Did they fill it up from puddle water in the paddock? Some of it is clearly rust and limescale but some of it looks like clay, you could grow potatoes in that! I guess that explains the overheating/seizing problem, I think I would be running some radiator cleaner through it once it`s operational.
Well done mate, a new set of rings and a mild hone and she will be good to go.

Bob

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 06, 2023, 10:12:15 AM »
It is o bviously been filled up with dam water at best. I guess that some of it has benn just dirt then been heated and packed in by vibration over many years. It does not look as if the tottly blocked side has ever been opened up but the radiator side has been cleared out and explains why I could pour water into the radiator and see it run freely out the drain tap. It was running along the radiator side to the back and across to the drain tap as this pathway was clear. All blockages were the opposite side to the radiator and across the front side behind where the fuel pump is. This area is restricted in sized because of the camshaft. But I have got it out and is reasonably good. I certainly will be running some cleaner through the system once back together but I may even get the guerny out and give it a blast as well.
The radiator bracket has some corrsion on it where the gasket is suppose to seal. I decided to clean it up and push some uneedit in there and it is curing overnight. Love these plastic metals. Pics of that tomorrow.

dax021

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 06, 2023, 07:56:59 PM »
Looks like mud wasps to me

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 07, 2023, 04:41:09 AM »
Definitely not mud wasps as they cant get in here when assembled, but they can cause some issues in other areas.

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2023, 05:00:38 AM »
I started repairing the radiator bracket yesterday by scrapping it all clean the used a centre punch to make lots of dots in the metal for the plastic metal to bond to. This morning I filed it back for a smooth finish. I made all new gaskets today as well ready for assembly. I will be able to fit the radiator bracket on as well as the other side cover onto the cylinder then I can put some caustic soda in the water jackets to start the clean up inside.
First pic is the centre punch marks, then the plastic metal cut off the length and ready now to knead it together, This is what it looks like after being pushed into the centre punch marks then after smoothing off.

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 09, 2023, 05:08:33 AM »
Today I fitted up the side plate and bottom radiator bracket. Then I filled the water jacket with washing soda to help clean out the final dirt and crap. While that was happening I got out my home made vacuum and cleaned up the bottom of the sump. First I drained the remaining oil from the sump then threw some diesel in the sump but it was disappearing so I kept throwing more in until I could see it there. It was then I could see that there is a mesh bolted to the cylinder but just above the bottom of the sump. So I brushed it with a stiff brush then drained that out. The mesh is now somewhat cleaner now but still had some rubbish sitting on top so I took my vacuum cleaner to it and now is good. This mesh is held in place with at least 3 1/4" BSW bolts and although I can just touch them I would not be able to undo them never mind putting them back in place so it will stay as it is.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 09, 2023, 07:24:29 AM »
Hi Cobbadog, I guessed there was some sort of screen in there somewhere, my guess was it was at the bottom of the sump connected to the scavenger pump, very happy to be wrong.
How long are you going to leave the caustic in the cylinder block? Just be careful, if they have plugged any holes or voids with brass or bronze, caustic will eat it very quickly and will also eat the drain tap.
I too am a huge fan of epoxy metal fillers. The best I have ever seen was a product that was a mixture of epoxy resin and titanium dust, we used it in sawmills in areas of severe wear, it was almost indestructible.
When are your parts arriving, I`m looking forward to seeing this running again.

Bob

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 09, 2023, 10:11:16 AM »
Yes the screen is almost on the bottom and I could just get my hand in far enough to feel 3 bolts only. Did not bother looking any others as I cannot get to them to remove and properly clean the screen, I will try to get a pic of it tomorrow. The vacuum cleaner wondered what hit it with sump oil and crud comming up at it. It is a simple vacuum based on the venturi system, a flexible plastic tube with my air blower stuck inside and 100psi then pull the trigger. I guess I better clean it out tomorrow too.
I did n ot end up using caustic soda. Instead I used washing soda and it sat in there about 4 hours then I drained it. Some more dirt came out with the solution and It doesn't look too bad inside now. On another Forum I visit they advised not to use caustic as it is too corrosive, and it is but it does shift the crap and quick. Happy enough to leave it as it is now. Just want the rings to turn up and then gap and fit them.

broncodriver99

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 09, 2023, 12:35:56 PM »
Coming along nicely.

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 10, 2023, 04:38:58 AM »
I never got near Ray today but the good news is that the new ring set arrived late today.

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 11, 2023, 05:06:22 AM »
This is the best shot I can get of the wire mesh in the sump that sits above the dual oil pumps. Started gaping the rings today.