Author Topic: Lpws2 injector removal  (Read 1651 times)

Robert

• View Profile
Lpws2 injector removal
« on: December 16, 2022, 09:29:31 PM »
I have a 400 series build 48 lpws2 engine and I want to check the head gasket. I need to take out the injectors 751-60290. (This the type with the 2 pipes sticking up on each side). It is recommended to use a special socket which I don’t have (it is £180!)
The boat and engine are a distance away so I was wondering if anybody new
What size socket I will need?
Can  modify a standard long reach socket?

Thanking you in anticipation

cobbadog

• View Profile
Re: Lpws2 injector removal
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2022, 05:06:35 AM »
If you are able to locate a workshop manual online using Google that may show you what it looks like and then you could make your own. Other option is to enquire about hiring the tool or taking the boat to a marine service shop and ask them to pull it for you.
Sorry I cannot be of any more help than that so good luck with the repairs and keep us informed.
Coopernook - the centre of our Universe.

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2022, 09:53:28 AM »
Hi Robert

Push a couple of lolly pop sticks down to opposite sides of the hexagon and eye them up until they are parallel, measure the gap at the top, you should be close.

Then search (eBay etc.) for an old fashioned box spanner to suit, if it's still to short go down to your local steel fabrication workshop on a Saturday morning ( most small outfits do 'homers' on Saturday) with a bag of donuts and a tenner and ask them to weld an extension on it.

Failing that, get a standard socket, of the correct size, cut the square drive part off it and get said fab shop to weld a a piece of tube to it.

If it takes you 3 tries you'll still be well under the £180 budget!

Cheers
Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2022, 10:10:20 AM »
Would those deep msockets be deep enough to work. Like those impact sockets, just need the correct size.
Coopernook - the centre of our Universe.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2022, 10:43:07 AM »
Like Stef says find a socket that is the right size, cut it in half with an angle grinder and weld something to it. A stick welder and a bunch of welding rods can be bought for about 50 quid.
In the past I have come up against some very odd sized fittings that I could not find sockets for. I have found that the nearest larger size and a smear of JB Weld left overnight works. Once you have the item undone, hit it with a blowtorch and the JB Weld falls to bits.

Bob

Diesel Engineering

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2022, 01:04:38 AM »
All you need to do is buy a standard long reach socket of the correct size then find someone with a lathe who can bore it out to allow it to go over the injector.

Robert

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2022, 01:59:24 PM »
All you need to do is buy a standard long reach socket of the correct size then find someone with a lathe who can bore it out to allow it to go over the injector.
Do you mean just skim the splines inside the socket so they don’t foul the spill pipe stubs but still grip the injectors or will I need to die grind some of the splines completely out of the socket?
Thanks a lot for everyone’s help. It’s not the depth of socket that’s the problem it’s me worrying that the spill pipe stubs will foul the socket and prevent it going far enough down robengage the hexagon

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2022, 03:08:11 PM »
Hi Robert

I've just looked up a photo of an Lpws injector, is this yours?

If it is you won't need a socket to remove it, it should just pull out.

At the worst way you'll need a slide hammer with a fitting to suit the connection for the injector supply line, the other photo is one I made years back from bits out of the come in handy pile for pulling injectors from Land Rover engines.

The local injector service shop will probably have one laying around or you may have to buy a new pipe and butcher it.

The fab shop mentioned earlier should be able to find you a lump of steel for the hammer and another for the shaft or you can get one for around £20 on eBay and either have the union fitting welded onto it, like mine, or get a nut welded to the fitting to make it detachable, then should you ever need it for something else it becomes multi purpose!

Cheers
~Stef

Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2022, 03:12:29 PM »
Here's the one I made earlier.......

Stef

Robert

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2022, 04:49:11 PM »
Hi Robert

I've just looked up a photo of an Lpws injector, is this yours?

If it is you won't need a socket to remove it, it should just pull out.

At the worst way you'll need a slide hammer with a fitting to suit the connection for the injector supply line, the other photo is one I made years back from bits out of the come in handy pile for pulling injectors from Land Rover engines.

The local injector service shop will probably have one laying around or you may have to buy a new pipe and butcher it.

The fab shop mentioned earlier should be able to find you a lump of steel for the hammer and another for the shaft or you can get one for around £20 on eBay and either have the union fitting welded onto it, like mine, or get a nut welded to the fitting to make it detachable, then should you ever need it for something else it becomes multi purpose!

Cheers
~Stef
Hi Stef I'm sorry I can't seem to post a picture. No its not that one. It screws in and has 2 stub pipes at the top for the leakoff pipes. If you google LPWS Injector there is one very similar on ebay 751-40760. Later ones that I have have I think a larger thread. A long socket should fit over the top but I am worried about the leak off pipes fouling the socket. I am not down at the boat now but trying to get all my ducks in a row before Xmas!

Diesel Engineering

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2022, 01:04:05 AM »
The injector shown in above photo is not an LPWS injector, but from an LPW engine. When I said earlier about boring a long reach socket out, you only bore out material from the upper inside of the socket. Leave the spline as is. The normal drive spline will also fit over the injector stubs as they are a slightly smaller diameter. The problem is the internal space further up the socket with is normally designed with an internal diameter just big enough for the stud to go through. Hope that makes some sort of sense.

Robert

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2022, 08:44:20 AM »
The injector shown in above photo is not an LPWS injector, but from an LPW engine. When I said earlier about boring a long reach socket out, you only bore out material from the upper inside of the socket. Leave the spline as is. The normal drive spline will also fit over the injector stubs as they are a slightly smaller diameter. The problem is the internal space further up the socket with is normally designed with an internal diameter just big enough for the stud to go through. Hope that makes some sort of sense.
Hi Diesel Engineering thank you that makes perfect sense.  You don’t happen to have a modified socket or injector handy you can measure  do you so that I can bore one out before going to the boat? I will need the socket size (M?)and the injector length from hex to top. Thank you for your help. Robert

SiFi

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2022, 11:34:54 AM »
I've just taken out the injectors on my LPWS and used a spanner on the flats between the two pipes, they unscrewed without incident.

Robert

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2022, 01:34:01 PM »
I've just taken out the injectors on my LPWS and used a spanner on the flats between the two pipes, they unscrewed without incident.
Yes I did think of doing that but don’t want to split the injector by accident so I’m hoping to adapt a socket to reach the bottom set of flats
I’m hoping to use a friendly machinist! 
Thank you anyway

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2022, 03:10:14 PM »
Hi Robert. ???

Got it!

Looks like the first ideas are the ones to go with, especially, if as SiFi says, you can remove the two small spigots......

Cheers
Stef