Lister Engines > Listeroid Engines

new injector, now can't fire up

<< < (2/3) > >>

ajaffa1:
Looks to me like it is an injector problem, Once again 38ac has diagnosed the problem. A sticking pintle could well be the problem, probably caused by dirt ingress during reassembly. The pop pressure on these injectors is set on the top of the injector so dismantling and cleaning the injector nozzle end  shouldn`t effect anything. Strip it and clean it and see what happens. Try not to bend anything during reassembly

Bob

38ac:
This is one of those deals where if the engine was in front of me we could have it going quickly. Very hard to diagnose from a distance. The 3/1 I spoke of was fixed here in 20 minutes after having been on the phone 10 times and probably 4 hours total.
Its not impossible that carbon is finding its way under a valve and your losing compression, its just very improbable that it happens every time after firing 2-3 times. If so you should be getting a cloud of white smoke when it quits firing. Also an engine that has compression issues will run decently but be very hard to start cold, not the situation you have.   Im going to stand on fuel supply issues for now. Injectors frim India are not all equal. If MICO they are good. If unbranded some good, some not so good.
Back to the pintle deal. If totally stuck the injector will not creak. However it is possible for a small leak to allow it to creak yet combustion pressure will push air back into the line. Doesnt take much, but as it coasts down. the air is purged and it will start again. Sounds far fetched but exactly what was going on with the 3/1. I would remove the injector and the nozzle, pull the pintle with your fingers it should move easy and smooth with absolutely no perceptable side to side slop. Then examine the tip of the pintle and the seat in the nozzle for imperfections.  Another running check is to quickly loossen the line nut at the injector after it quits firing and look for foam.

Thanks Bob, the admiration of knowledge is mutual

dieselspanner:
Hi All

I had the same problem, air 'pushing back' into the injector. I lapped the pintle in with jewellers rouge, problem solved

A fivers worth off eBay will be lifetime supply.

Cheers
Stef

dieselspanner:

Hi All

I had the same problem, air 'pushing back' into the injector. I lapped the pintle in with jewellers rouge, problem solved

A fivers worth off eBay will be lifetime supply.

Cheers

Stef

tyssniffen:

--- Quote from: 38ac on December 14, 2022, 12:52:19 PM ---
Its not impossible that carbon is finding its way under a valve and your losing compression, its just very improbable that it happens every time after firing 2-3 times. If so you should be getting a cloud of white smoke when it quits firing. Also an engine that has compression issues will run decently but be very hard to start cold, not the situation you have. 

--- End quote ---

Well, now you've got me wondering.  I will disassemble the injector and check the pintle movement, but I have to say I *have* seen white smoke as the thing fails to fully start.  you know how the flywheel goes backwards when fail-to-start; I see white smoke coming out the air INtake, as well as some smoke out the exhaust. (that's why I pulled the exhaust pipe, I was worried it was blocked)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version