Lister Engines > Listeroid Engines

new injector, now can't fire up

<< < (3/3)

tyssniffen:
Update going I got it started. I did all the things. I checked the injector pintle and it seemed to move okay, I hit the exhaust valve with a hammer numerous times, I also spun it a bit within a hope that it would seat it again, and when I got it cranking, it started off running extremely slow for 2 minutes, and then slowly built up speed to regular run speed. I put a load on it and ran it for 30 minutes.  I should have tried to start it again right then, but I'll let it cool off and try tonight.

ajaffa1:
White smoke indicates unburned fuel, try not to breath it in, very unhealthy. I note that you have been running this on WVO which tends to produce more soot during combustion. I would be having a good look at the exhaust valve and valve guide, wear mixed with carbon build up could be causing it to stick part open, if you try starting it with the rocker cover off you might be able to see the exhaust valve sticking open. If you can get it to run, a long run on regular diesel will probably clear the problem.
There has been a lot of talk about running water injection when using WVO it helps reduce carbon build up.

Bob

tyssniffen:
yeah, I've followed the water injection conversation for the whole thread, and have set up a water drip for when I run WVO.
And I've cut down on my veg oil use due to supply issues.  I've probably been on regular 'store bought' diesel for 30-50 hours. 

But you're absolutely right, I've got soot problems.

tyssniffen:
update to the update - It started again this morning, cold, with normal behavior.   Running 'store bought' diesel.

Soot build up question: best way to try and deal with it without breaking things down?
- 100ml water down the air intake when it's real hot?
- regular drip into air intake over time?
- fancy store-bought chemical, like 'Sea Foam' ... into the fuel tank, or into injector housing?

ajaffa1:
The best thing for diesel engines is a long run under full load. The real question is why is it producing soot? A poor spray pattern from the fuel injector is the most likely cause. You have just fitted a new injector so this problem should go away. A second possibility is that the engine is burning some sump oil, is there a blueish tinge to the exhaust fumes and do you have to top up the sump oil regularly? Could be you have wear in the cylinder and piston rings but much more likely the piston rings are stuck in their grooves due to carbon deposits from running WVO.
Give it a good run on regular diesel and see what happens.

Bob

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version