Author Topic: Favorite recipies for penetrating oil  (Read 1031 times)

keith71

• View Profile
Favorite recipies for penetrating oil
« on: December 05, 2022, 10:25:28 PM »
Have a few small rusted and gunky parts that need a good soaking.. The stuff in a spray can may be fine but, it is not what I am looking for.. You have to keep applying it to be efective. I would like to make up a home brew and put the parts in a small container and just let em soak.

So I thought I would ask you fella's what your favorite brew or concoction consists of.
Have read acetone and ATF works well. And a few others that I am not so sure about.

So what do you guy's use for longer soak times ?  Thanks.
12/2 Field Marshall
Jiangdong R170.

broncodriver99

• View Profile
Re: Favorite recipies for penetrating oil
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2022, 12:36:22 AM »
I tend to use Kroil if I am just trying to loosen nuts/bolts. I have tried ATF and acetone and it works about as well, definitely cheaper if you are wanting a large enough batch for a soak. I usually use kerosene on gunky parts and evaporust on rusty parts. I also have an ultrasonic cleaner that I usually keep a simple green solution in. For stripping paint and grease, old school lye based spray on oven cleaner does well.

I usually strip/degrease then derust.

If I am in no hurry it usually just ends up in a kerosene soak for a few weeks.

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2022, 05:05:12 AM »
You have nailed Bronco,
At the same time it depends on what it is that has to be treated and freed up or de-rusted. I also like electrolysis for de-rusting quickly using soda ash and water. Once clean I am a high user of Lanox. This is Innox with lanolin in it. It does work like similar soakers but the lanolin stops any rust comming back for a few months.
Coopernook - the centre of our Universe.

broncodriver99

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2022, 05:31:50 AM »
Once clean I am a high user of Lanox. This is Innox with lanolin in it. It does work like similar soakers but the lanolin stops any rust comming back for a few months.

I will have to check those out, looks like they are both available here. We have a product here called Fluid Film that sounds very similar in that it leaves a coating of lanolin on clean parts. It does work very well. I use it on anything with a machined steel or cast iron surface that is going to sit exposed for a while.

32 coupe

• "Doc Johnson" on call !
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2022, 12:40:26 AM »
Kroil
Fluid Film

Both are top shelf in my book.
On salt water boats they save the day.

Well, that and hammers and torches !

Metro 6/1 turning a ST 7.5 KW gen head
Changfa 1115 turning a ST 15 KW gen head
Ashwamegh 2/25
John Deere 110 TBL
New Holland TC 30

"I was sitting here reading this thinking what an idiot you are until I realized it was one of my earlier posts !"

broncodriver99

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2022, 03:44:42 AM »
Well, that and hammers and torches !

Torches??? I thought the only way to fix boat problems was by burning hundred dollar bills.

32 coupe

• "Doc Johnson" on call !
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2022, 12:34:16 PM »
BOAT....Bring Out Another Thousand.....
Most stuff I work on it's bring out another 10 thousand !

Metro 6/1 turning a ST 7.5 KW gen head
Changfa 1115 turning a ST 15 KW gen head
Ashwamegh 2/25
John Deere 110 TBL
New Holland TC 30

"I was sitting here reading this thinking what an idiot you are until I realized it was one of my earlier posts !"

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2022, 04:34:11 PM »
66 years old and 56 of those years working on old junk has taught me that none of it works as good as the sales pitch, and lately the internet lore.  Always have had some kind of tank in the shops with Stoddard or Kerosene in them for parts washing and when its about half used up with oil and grease I save a few gallons and that's that's my shop penetrant.  As for actually lossening a rust stuck part nothing works better than boiling water. I found this out by accident when I had a set of hot bluing tanks for guns.  One of my shop secretes for stuck injection pumps is to toss them in a pan of boiling water for 30 minutes. The elements are mostly junk anyway if stuck. Aftervthe boil the elements will move and the pumps come apart easily without breaking things.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2022, 04:35:46 PM by 38ac »
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2022, 08:25:40 PM »
+1 for boiling water, I`ve been using it on old carburetors for years. My favorite for rust removal is molasses, sold in agricultural stores as a horse feed supplement and costs very little. It`s not fast but it does the job.
50/50 oil and kero is as good as any of the products sold as penetrating oil and costs a lot less, it`s also perfect on oilstones when sharpening tools.

Bob

keith71

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2022, 08:53:24 PM »
Thanks all for the replys.. Some great suggestions.. I have never used kroil, have not seen it on the shelf at our local parts stores. But have heard about it in the past. At our local parts stores PB blaster is pretty much the go to for penetrant in a can. I have read kroil blows it away.

The boiling water is a new one for me. I will try that some time.  Acetone and Atf is pretty easy to make up.       
 Or maybe a kero acetone atf cocktail..   Might be the best way for a half gallon size soak container. Also going to read up on fluid film.

Thaks again for the help.
12/2 Field Marshall
Jiangdong R170.