Puppeteer

Author Topic: 4 days in ICU  (Read 1390 times)

dkmc

• View Profile
4 days in ICU
« on: November 24, 2022, 11:09:45 PM »

A heart attack does not always come as pain in your left arm. Mine was between my shoulders in my back. Last Thursday 11/17 After some time of denial, and increasing discomfort, I decided it was time to go to Urgent Care (they were closing and getting ready to lock the front doors) where they hooked up the wires and saw problems on the Electrocardiogram. An ambulance ride and 45 minutes later, I was at the hospital, in the Cath lab getting 2 stents installed (one artery 100% blocked) in an expedited fashion. Then 3 more stents installed yesterday, (another artery 90% blocked) 4 days in ICU total. Funny thing, that Thursday morning I was in the middle of no where picking up a cement mixer from Marketplace. I worked pretty hard getting it on the trailer and was worn out from using the come-along. Shortly after I got home with it, the discomfort started. Discomfort NOT pain. Pressure. Uncomfortable feeling, not pain. So very lucky it happened here at home. Doing much better now. One of the doctors said, 'With heart issues "Heart Attack pain" means any pain from your navel to your head, not just sharp pain in your left arm".

My message is, do not ignore it or brush it off.
Machinist, fabricator, designer, fixer

keith71

• View Profile
Re: 4 days in ICU
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2022, 12:37:09 AM »
Thank you for sharing that health info..  Hope you get better quickly and are back out doing what you enjoy.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2022, 12:49:30 AM by keith71 »
12/2 Field Marshall
Jiangdong R170.

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2022, 04:56:46 AM »
What a wake up call for you and your Family. Good advise about not ignoring pains/discomforts especially as we age. I bet they are now directing you to a dietician and advising to change your wicked ways in life. I had to when I got diabetes.
Glad to hear that you have survived and that you are on the mend so take care and take on all the suggestions they make, it really isn't that bad.
Coopernook - the centre of our Universe.

dkmc

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2022, 05:39:30 AM »
What a wake up call for you and your Family. Good advise about not ignoring pains/discomforts especially as we age. I bet they are now directing you to a dietician and advising to change your wicked ways in life. I had to when I got diabetes.
Glad to hear that you have survived and that you are on the mend so take care and take on all the suggestions they make, it really isn't that bad.

More and more people are learning that the health care industry is not necessarily interested in your health. I will not take the Statins they prescribed. Or the blood pressure medicine prescribed 'matter of factly' without consideration. I am pre-diabetic, yet the food they brought me was all Carbs and sugar! I didn't eat any of it, my wife brought me the proper diet (which includes red meat and fat). A year ago I went to a Keto diet, lost 17 lbs in 4 weeks, and my BSL went from an average of 155 to 105. Very little Carbs and as little sugar as possible. To 'take on all suggestions they make' is a fools errand I'm afraid. The drug companies need to keep you sick and treat the symptoms to keep you buying their pills....

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2022, 10:08:54 AM »
As I mentioned I am diabetic and able to control it with maximum number of pills before I have to go to insulin injection so with care I have it stable for now and have done for the last 8 years. At the same time I need my cholesterol tablets (statins) which I have been on for close to 30 years and since taking the same pills and dosage it is right on the mark. So I have no issues taking my meds as perscribed and get great results.

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2022, 11:59:36 AM »
Glad to hear yoybare OK. Yes the low carb diet works for most people. I lost 50 lbs on it 4 years ago and went off it due to being tired of eating same things. Back on it now to shed a few punds gained back.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

dkmc

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2022, 06:23:21 PM »
Glad to hear yoybare OK. Yes the low carb diet works for most people. I lost 50 lbs on it 4 years ago and went off it due to being tired of eating same things. Back on it now to shed a few punds gained back.

Thanks Butch. I agree completely about Keto getting boring taste wise. I do cheat a bit, life is too short to not indulge once in awhile.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2022, 08:55:25 PM »
Hi Guys, sorry to hear about the heart attack. I had mine about 4 years ago. Like you I had no serious pain, just a weird feeling that something wasn`t quite right. My Wife has blood pressure issues and has a blood pressure testing machine, she took my blood pressure and the machine advised that I was having a heart attack. I was rushed to the local hospital where they announced that I was perfectly healthy and were going to send me home, fortunately one junior doctor asked for a blood test. After a heart attack the body releases an enzyme into the blood stream and there is a test for this. My test came back positive.
Three days later they got me a bed in Lismore hospital in Northern New South Wales, they ran tests and announced that I was perfectly healthy, fortunately one junior doctor suggested doing a stress test. I was hooked up to every piece of monitoring equipment available and put on a treadmill. They slowly increased the speed until, guess what, I had another heart attack. They revived me and sent me to the catheter laboratory where over the next few weeks they fitted three stents in my cardiac arteries, two of which had 90% blockages.
The reason for my arteries becoming clogged is almost certainly due to the 5 months I spent immobilized by a broken neck.
After returning home, I had to attend cardiac rehabilitation, this is where they introduce old people to gymnasium equipment, what the point is of putting an 80 year old disabled woman on an exercise bicycle still mystifies me. They also give you the lecture on your lifestyle and diet: no alcohol, no smoking, no cheese, no butter, no bacon, no animal fats, the list is endless basically you are expected to live on green tea and boiled cabbage, you won`t live any longer it will just feel like it!
I too was prescribed statins which I took for six months until the bush fires and covid made it impossible to access a doctor to get repeat prescriptions. I`m still going strong, I drink lots of red wine, I smoke and work seven days a week. I don`t expect to live forever but am trying to get as much done as possible in the time available.

So good luck with your recovery, try to find yourself a good doctor, my experience suggests that some of them don`t know what they are talking about. A small piece of encouragement is that my Father in Law lived with a stented heart for 10 years plus before dementia got him at 84.

Best of luck, stay well,

Bob

dkmc

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2022, 11:25:36 PM »

Best of luck to you as well Bob!

Hi Guys, sorry to hear about the heart attack. I had mine about 4 years ago. Like you I had no serious pain, just a weird feeling that something wasn`t quite right. My Wife has blood pressure issues and has a blood pressure testing machine, she took my blood pressure and the machine advised that I was having a heart attack. I was rushed to the local hospital where they announced that I was perfectly healthy and were going to send me home, fortunately one junior doctor asked for a blood test. After a heart attack the body releases an enzyme into the blood stream and there is a test for this. My test came back positive.
Three days later they got me a bed in Lismore hospital in Northern New South Wales, they ran tests and announced that I was perfectly healthy, fortunately one junior doctor suggested doing a stress test. I was hooked up to every piece of monitoring equipment available and put on a treadmill. They slowly increased the speed until, guess what, I had another heart attack. They revived me and sent me to the catheter laboratory where over the next few weeks they fitted three stents in my cardiac arteries, two of which had 90% blockages.
The reason for my arteries becoming clogged is almost certainly due to the 5 months I spent immobilized by a broken neck.
After returning home, I had to attend cardiac rehabilitation, this is where they introduce old people to gymnasium equipment, what the point is of putting an 80 year old disabled woman on an exercise bicycle still mystifies me. They also give you the lecture on your lifestyle and diet: no alcohol, no smoking, no cheese, no butter, no bacon, no animal fats, the list is endless basically you are expected to live on green tea and boiled cabbage, you won`t live any longer it will just feel like it!
I too was prescribed statins which I took for six months until the bush fires and covid made it impossible to access a doctor to get repeat prescriptions. I`m still going strong, I drink lots of red wine, I smoke and work seven days a week. I don`t expect to live forever but am trying to get as much done as possible in the time available.

So good luck with your recovery, try to find yourself a good doctor, my experience suggests that some of them don`t know what they are talking about. A small piece of encouragement is that my Father in Law lived with a stented heart for 10 years plus before dementia got him at 84.

Best of luck, stay well,

Bob

veggie

• Keep Calm and Start the Lister !
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2022, 08:39:17 PM »

dkmc

Wow ! scary stuff. Thankfully if was caught in time.

take care,
veggie
- 6/1 GM90 Listeroid - Delco 33si Alternator
- Changfa R175 - Lease/Neville Alternator
- JiangDong R165 Air cooled - 2 kw
- Changfa S195 (Waiting for a project)

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2022, 10:02:54 AM »
All IK cazn say is that all too often, forunately, predictions can be and are wrong. I was talking to a customer recently where he was told at a very young age that his pneumonia was going to kill him over night and that the Dr would be back in the morning to sign the death certificate. This bloke turned 90 a week ago. I asked if he went to the funeral mof the Dr and danced on his grave.
Statistics can be used in many ways so do your best to prove them wrong.