Author Topic: Next! 16/2 Lister  (Read 5166 times)

cobbadog

• View Profile
Re: Next! 16/2 Lister
« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2022, 05:31:51 AM »
Definitely mining industry.
I sometimes have to borrow a tool or a piece of equipment and it is not something I am comfortable with at all. There is one mate I go to as he has these things like a milling machine or a large honer for the engines etc. With no exception when I borrow the tool I go back home, use it, clean it and in some cases repair it then return it with in a couple of days, if not the same day. He cant believe that I do this and I always say it is how I was raised and it is the right thing to do. So when you need it, it will be clean and ready to go. The large engine hone I borrowed I wore the stones out. When I returned the honer I told him that new stones have been ordered and are being sent to him at his address. By doing this I know I dont have any issues even though I dont like doing it, but I can borrow his tools when needed.
Coopernook - the centre of our Universe.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2022, 07:09:01 AM »
Hi Guys, I have a simple rule: my tools don`t leave my property, if you need to use them you are welcome but you need to bring the job to the tools! A six pack of beer would be much appreciated, I tend to get very thirsty watching other people work!  :laugh:

Bob

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2022, 12:49:46 PM »
Nothing goes easy with this engine. installed the cam and lifters, no biggie right? Not on this one. After everything was in place the governor weights were hitting the end lifter bushing, grrrr :(   Had to make a custom shim for the far end to push the cam away from the bushing. Next bad news was the sleeves. Ordinarily I use 1/8 wall sleeves which are a stock item at around $100 each. Since the guy before me screwed up the blocks I had to go with 5/32 sleeves which are custom order and $352 each AND 10 week wait.
Just a note to anyone who works on a twin and takes it all the way down. The oil manifold and line that line that  runs up to the pump are installed FIRST, or you will be disassembling to get it installed. Just had a phone call last week, "hey, how do you get the oil line in the block and tighten the nut??? ??? ???  Answer, remove the crankshaft, camshaft, then install the line.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2022, 07:51:13 PM »
Hi Butch, a bit of a shock to hear the price of the sleeves. This guy might be able to help, don`t know if he would ship to the USA. https://www.oldtimerengines.com.au/lister-engine-parts/lister-cs/piston-rings-and-con-rod/repair-sleeve-liner-suit-4-5-bore

Bob

keith71

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 09, 2022, 08:18:33 PM »
Old timer engines will indeed ship to the USA. Shipping may be a bit high depending on your order.
12/2 Field Marshall
Jiangdong R170.

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 10, 2022, 05:11:47 AM »
I have not done any dealings with old timer engines but I know a lot of people who have and find him very helpful. He recently bought all the stock of another retiring Lister parts seller from the New England district of NSW.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 10, 2022, 08:43:27 PM »
Hi Cobbagog, I have had quite a lot of dealings with Rob at Old Timer Engines. His web site is quite comprehensive and has recently expanded to display all the new stock he has bought. He accepts Paypal and usually dispatches ordered items within one day. He is very knowledgeable and can very often find bits for vintage engines he does not have in stock.

Bob

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 14, 2022, 01:27:41 PM »
Update, project is on hold while awaiting sleeves. Will post pics of that process after they arrive.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 14, 2022, 08:52:24 PM »
Sorry to hear the project is on hold, I have very much enjoyed this thread so far. I hope the sleeves come soon.

Bob

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 17, 2023, 01:37:04 AM »
FINALLY, back on the 16/2 after waiting 4 months for parts. Been around here so long it's like a permanent fixture. Should go back together pretty fast now.

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 17, 2023, 07:37:32 AM »
Looks like new head studs too. Sometimes parts are the stumbling block. I am tracking down a single Girling brake shoe return spring for my Liner Roughrider with the SR2 Lister in it. Im waiting fro a mate to come back from the National Rally so I can visit him, get my beavertail truck passed again for Club rego and he says he has one of the springs I need. Hope he is right.

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 17, 2023, 11:13:36 AM »
Yes I had to regress to India for the cylinders after  2 sleeve companies failed to deliver custom size sleeves for the OEM cylinder blocks. Had a rather large stock order take 5 months to arrive also. Glad I don't have to have the shop income in order to eat!! To the plus side India has thoroughly modernized the aluminum CS type pistons with an up to date ring package and skirt. I'm an anxious to get some out working. They are also lighter which will make respectable balance much easier to achieve.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2023, 11:29:28 AM by 38ac »

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 18, 2023, 07:26:19 AM »
As much as India and the manufacturing companies of many things gets a ribbing from most people  I have over the years purchased some BSW combination spanners, ring spanners and a good selection of sockets. All of these have been given a good workout on many of our toys as many are British. I have no issues with the quality. A friend visits India every 2nd year and does a tour of many large Companies doing talks to the Staff about many things they do and how to improve. He claims the factories he visits are all spotless and very modern and equipment is the latest on the market.

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 18, 2023, 11:00:08 AM »
Yes, people tend to throw all of India in one bag. Same as everywhere else manufacturing quality varies. Firms in India are producing cast and machined parts for most all of the major engine manufacturers.  However what they are not so good at is very bad as we Listeroid types know. The last two new Listeroids I have out through the shop were absolute travisties. Neither woukd have run for an hour without being destroyed.
All that being said If I had a reasonable and reliable source for what I ourchase in India I would buy it elsewhere due to my religious beliefs and what is happening to like thinkers there. I just had 50 sets of custom engine bearing quoted. USA manufactured, $750 per set. India $50. Wasn't a difficult decision.

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 02, 2023, 03:04:04 AM »
16/2 is finally done and test run completed. It's  going to power a line shaft in an Amish woodworking shop.