Author Topic: Next! 16/2 Lister  (Read 4859 times)

38ac

• View Profile
Next! 16/2 Lister
« on: November 14, 2022, 03:48:07 PM »
The 10HP Bamfords is running and ready to ship. On to the next one in line. Bought this 16/2 Lister  as "rebuilt" but whoever worked in it sure didnt make my standards. Its coming all the way down and built up correctly. This engine will be for sale qhen done. PM if interested.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

ajaffa1

• View Profile
Re: Next! 16/2 Lister
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2022, 09:09:59 PM »
Hi Casey, well done on getting the Bamford finished.
When you say the 16/2 has had work done to a poor standard could you please document and post what horrors you find. I note that the crankshaft looks too shiny for an engine of it`s age, has it been replaced? When I fitted a new Indian crank to my 6/1 I found that the end float was over spec even without any gaskets! I had to make shims to go between the main bushings and the housings.

Bob

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2022, 10:41:19 PM »
Bob, it got worse as I took it down!
Cylinders were bored to fit dry sleeves. After installation They bored the sleeves to size leaving no room for honing and slapped it together with the rough bores. the #2 side is .005 too large in the rough bore. The #1 side is to finished bore size at the top and .010" larger at the bottom. Zoom in to see how rough the bores are

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2022, 10:43:28 PM »
New valves slapped in without grinding the seats or lapping them

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2022, 10:45:54 PM »
#2 side rod and bearing, zoom in to see bearing metal filings everywhere.

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2022, 10:49:20 PM »
Number 1 side rod had NO bolt in the back side!
Not pictured is they didn't install the oil lines that feed the dipper trays. Fuel pumps both seized. It's a real mess but nothing insurmountable to fix.

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2022, 05:17:02 AM »
This is exactly how people with no scruples get away with dishonesty like that. Unless they meant that the starter motor was rebuilt, nothing else.I know I certainly would send off an email to the Seller and show him exactly what you have found. Too late for any money back deals probably but then doing what you are doing now and show everyone what that person's idea of 'rebuilt' is and list the name. There can be no come back at you for telling the truth. I know I would make everyone aware of how that seller describes his items and what it truly is like.
Coopernook - the centre of our Universe.

sirpedrosa

• 21NOV2019 - Finally I hear that sound... again
    • View Profile
Re: Next! 16/2 Lister - A CLUE ALREADY GIVEN
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2022, 03:22:03 PM »
Butch, Gentles

Remember I said that water (hot) manifold was upsidedown? Well, there is the answer!

You can ask about the remain parts, and seller can say price was that low because of missing parts, or you just can move on.

It hurts me too.

Cheers
VP

PS: And this is not a indian block, its a brit one!
By order of firing up:
Bernard 18A - 1968 (mama's water pump - year of my birth)
Petter PAZ1 - Jun 1967, 3HP, sn 416xxxx
Petter PAZ1 - Nov 1979, 3HP, sn 425xxxx
Lister 12/2 - 12651227, the pearl!
Deutz MAH 914, 1952 - Zündfix in chamber and go (7Mai2023).

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2022, 08:37:08 PM »
When I saw the quality of the welding work on the Bamford head I was truly amazed, the quality of work done on this engine just makes me angry. Spare parts cost just the same if you do a good job as if you do a bad job. If you don`t know how to do it properly don`t do it at all. Selling an engine with a big end bolt missing is criminal, someone could have been injured or even killed. I remember being in a Ford Fiesta doing 70 MPH when it threw a rod, a cigarette packet sized piece of the cylinder block pierced a hole in the front wing of the car!
I am in no doubt you will be able to fix all the problems and get this running as it should. Will you be able to get the sleeves out or are you going to have to bore/hone them again and fit over sized pistons. Cylinder sleeves come in different wall thicknesses, I hope they fitted the thinnest leaving you some meat to work with if you are going to have to replace them.
I`m with VP and Cobbadog on naming and shaming the person responsible for this act of vandalism.

Bob

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2022, 12:13:24 AM »
Bob, The plan, if I can get the parts is to bring the dry sleeves out to .5mm or .020" over. If pistons arr not available the only choice will be to remove the sleeves and start over.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2022, 07:20:55 AM »
My biggest worry about this is that the person that bored the cylinders, after sleeving, may be the same guy that fitted the sleeves. Is there any reason to believe that the sleeves are a tight fit and will not have hot spots or even be loose? I think it would be safer to start again from scratch. For what it`s worth, Lister used to make oversized pistons in 10 thou increments up to +40 thou, but you already know this so I`m trying to teach my mother to suck eggs.
I suspect you know how to shrink a seized bearing by running a bead of weld on the inside. I have never tried it on a cylinder liner but in theory it should work just the same, might be worth a shot if they have fitted the largest liners available.

Bob

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2022, 11:38:55 AM »
Bob, I share that worry and plan to check the press fit. Luckily he used 1/8 wall sleeves and 5/32 are readily available thus I can repair if they are loose. The OEM piston inventory is all used up to my knowledge so India is the supply. Currently available is .5mm and 1mm oversized. It sure is easier to repair a worn engine than follow a bodger tgats for sure.

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2022, 12:45:07 AM »
The 0.010 inches larger at the bottom cylinder bore has me scratching my head.  Perhaps a novice changed a dull cutter and forgot to adjust for it??? 

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2022, 01:00:46 AM »
Bruce, there are several proper ways to bore a cylinder and a few more ways that shouldn't be tried. Not sure how tvis was done. Hopefully the bores in the blocks aren't tapered also because that is very hard to correct when I'll only be taking out about .030"

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2022, 01:23:03 AM »
I look forward to your assessment as the project progresses.