Puppeteer

Author Topic: LPWS4 Injector Pump not 'spitting'  (Read 2040 times)

SiFi

• View Profile
LPWS4 Injector Pump not 'spitting'
« on: November 09, 2022, 05:13:40 PM »
My engine won't start and two of the injector pumps don't appear to be working.  I disconnected the feed to each injector and only two were spitting fuel. What is the most likely problem, what I should do next?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2022, 05:16:16 PM by SiFi »

wheelMA1

• View Profile
Re: LPWS4 Injector Pump not 'spitting'
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2022, 05:44:53 PM »
Have you taken the metering pump out of the block? The plunger could be frozen in place, or misaligned in the lower spring. You could also have lower pump parts in your oil reservoir....

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2022, 02:41:50 AM »
Have you disconnected the fuel lines comming out of the pumps going to the injectors then cranked the engine over to see if any fuel is exiting?

If not then go back to square one and bleed the fuel system at every point. Tank, filter in and out, pumps in then as I have asked pumps out while cranking the engine over?
If yes so far then crack the fuel lines at the injectors and then finally pull the injectors out of the head and see if they atomise the fuel. WARNING, do not put any part of your body near the atomised spray or you will be in pain and very dangerous to have fuel inside of YOU. So once you discover at what point the fuel stops from going any further then you know where the problem is. Once that is known then we can go further to find the issue.

Previous post from wheelMA1 about the pump is very relevant too.
Coopernook - the centre of our Universe.

32 coupe

• "Doc Johnson" on call !
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2022, 02:05:10 PM »

I think your engine is what is in military gen sets.
More info may be available on the "Steel Soldiers" site.
Metro 6/1 turning a ST 7.5 KW gen head
Changfa 1115 turning a ST 15 KW gen head
Ashwamegh 2/25
John Deere 110 TBL
New Holland TC 30

"I was sitting here reading this thinking what an idiot you are until I realized it was one of my earlier posts !"

SiFi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2022, 09:14:55 PM »
Thank you everyone for your contributions.

I've discovered today that two of my glow plugs are dead and have ordered replacements. I removed one of the injectors and it does appear to be working now so maybe fingers crossed it just needed more time to bleed.

What I discovered today is that the fuel shut-off control only rotates a few mm and not enough to move the governer rack for the injector pumps into shut-off. I'm assuming there is no sort of interlock that I need to disable. The throttle seems to move back and forth freely.

SiFi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2022, 09:16:46 PM »
Thanks I'll check the site out.

I think your engine is what is in military gen sets.
More info may be available on the "Steel Soldiers" site.

SiFi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2022, 09:22:42 PM »
Thanks, I did take out one of the injectors that i thought wasn't working and today it was, so that was encouraging!

Have you disconnected the fuel lines comming out of the pumps going to the injectors then cranked the engine over to see if any fuel is exiting?

If not then go back to square one and bleed the fuel system at every point. Tank, filter in and out, pumps in then as I have asked pumps out while cranking the engine over?
If yes so far then crack the fuel lines at the injectors and then finally pull the injectors out of the head and see if they atomise the fuel. WARNING, do not put any part of your body near the atomised spray or you will be in pain and very dangerous to have fuel inside of YOU. So once you discover at what point the fuel stops from going any further then you know where the problem is. Once that is known then we can go further to find the issue.

Previous post from wheelMA1 about the pump is very relevant too.

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2022, 10:24:17 AM »
Sounds like you are slowly finding some issues and this is promising because once you know what is not working you can fix it, one at a time.

SiFi

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2022, 11:49:26 AM »
Thanks. Can i ask another question, my fuel shut-off seems locked in position but the throttle moves freely, are these both linked to the govenor rail? I'm trying to work out why one moves but the other won't.

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2022, 05:16:44 AM »
Sorry mate that is something I do not know with certainty. You can ask as many questions as needed to get the help you need, this is how we all learn.
 However it would be fair to say that it sounds as if it has stuck and requires freeing up. Have you found a manual on this engine as yet? When we work on these things they always help explain what belongs where and sometimes how they work. Most importantly the correct description of parts too. I go onto another Forum for tractors and it can muddle everything up by calling parts by the wrong name.
Please don't think I am saying that this is the case here. Again clear pictures always help with descriptions.

32 coupe

• "Doc Johnson" on call !
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2022, 05:27:37 PM »
Google  LPWS4.......the manual will come up from many sites for download.

Metro 6/1 turning a ST 7.5 KW gen head
Changfa 1115 turning a ST 15 KW gen head
Ashwamegh 2/25
John Deere 110 TBL
New Holland TC 30

"I was sitting here reading this thinking what an idiot you are until I realized it was one of my earlier posts !"

SiFi

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2022, 03:48:18 PM »
This link shows my predicament https://youtu.be/MDoQNF9Z458

Thanks

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2022, 04:57:07 AM »
Once you have downloaded the manual it looks as if you need to strip and clean it up so it is free and working. This appears to be most of the problem.

oldgoat

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2022, 05:33:48 PM »
I have a manual in PDF which covers most of what you need to know

Diesel Engineering

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2022, 01:08:45 AM »
Looking at your video it would appear that one or more of your pumps is seized. That's about the only thing thar will stop the rack moving. (