How to / DIY > Everything else

small heater

(1/3) > >>

mikenash:
Hi guys

Building myself a shed with a sloping front for a bunch of solar panels (4 X 375W) plus room inside for batteries, a couple of gensets . . .

Shed has a two-layer floor with insulation; and I'll do the same for roof and walls - mostly for sound-deadening

But, also, with a big LiFePo4 battery, and occasional sub-zero temperatures - I'm looking for an easy way just to trickle a few watts of warmth into it overnight.  I was wondering if something like one of those small panel-heaters that are used to keep the chill off small bedrooms etc might generate a few watts if run on 12, 24, or 48VDC

Shed is 3.6M X 3.6M X about 2m - very small area, and, once well-insulated, will take very few watts to keep above freezing I would think

I'd appreciate any thoughts from someone who may have done similar

Cheers

ajaffa1:
Hi Mike, glad to see you making progress with your off grid system. I assume you will be fitting some sort of invertor, check the specs on whatever you are going to be using, most of them have a large heatsink and often a cooling fan, might just be enough to keep out a light frost but will only work while you are drawing electricity.
Failing that have a look for a small infrared heat lamp, the sort of thing they use for keeping newly hatched chicks warm. Coupled with a frost stat it would turn on only when needed.
Let us know what you come up with.

Bob

mikenash:

--- Quote from: ajaffa1 on November 08, 2022, 08:11:51 PM ---Hi Mike, glad to see you making progress with your off grid system. I assume you will be fitting some sort of invertor, check the specs on whatever you are going to be using, most of them have a large heatsink and often a cooling fan, might just be enough to keep out a light frost but will only work while you are drawing electricity.
Failing that have a look for a small infrared heat lamp, the sort of thing they use for keeping newly hatched chicks warm. Coupled with a frost stat it would turn on only when needed.

Bob

--- End quote ---

hey Bob - yes, a heat lamp - good idea.  I'll have a look.  Cheers

mikenash:

--- Quote from: mikenash on November 09, 2022, 04:04:10 AM ---
--- Quote from: ajaffa1 on November 08, 2022, 08:11:51 PM ---Hi Mike, glad to see you making progress with your off grid system. I assume you will be fitting some sort of invertor, check the specs on whatever you are going to be using, most of them have a large heatsink and often a cooling fan, might just be enough to keep out a light frost but will only work while you are drawing electricity.

Bob

--- End quote ---

hey Bob - yes, a heat lamp - good idea.  I'll have a look.  Cheers

Should have said, also, I like the look of the Victorn Easy Solar inverter/charger - especially as they aren't fussy about sine wive, hertz, volts etc of a generator input.  Cheers

--- End quote ---

Oiler:
A 60 watt ligt bulb might do the trick. You only need to turn it on if frost is in the forecast.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version