Author Topic: Bamfords shop work  (Read 2546 times)

38ac

• View Profile
Bamfords shop work
« on: November 05, 2022, 12:46:29 PM »
Hi all,  couple people messaged me wondering what's happening. Shop is busy, harvest going on work never ends.
Some pics of current work load. First is part of the slow speed waiting line which is 4 Z2 Bamfords, 2 Lister CS twins, 1 VA. Next is current project which is a 10HP Bamford. Ma y shop made parts go into a Bamfords build. This one had also been left to freeze up and severely broke the head. Waited 6  months on the best welding shop in the states to weld it and I have to relocate various bores. These heads use a copper sleeve to separate the injector from the water jacket which I make in the shop. Showing the sleeve and head set up to bore the hole for it after it was closed up during welding. Also shown is the wet sleeve cylinder block. The wet sleeve was bored for a thin wall dry sleeve. The original piston was reground to make it round again.  The bore is then adjusted to the reground piston and rings fitted.  No crank bearings are available so they are also shop made. More in next post.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2022, 12:48:11 PM by 38ac »
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

38ac

• View Profile
Re: Bamfords shop work
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2022, 12:54:03 PM »
 On with the head. Once the sleeve bores are to size the milling cutter is used to make clearance for the nut that retains the tip and a hole is drilled for the tip. I didnt take any pics before starting my work the head was a mass of furnace welded cast iron. Also looking down in the injector hole showing the 3 bores completed.

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2022, 12:57:43 PM »
Here is the sleeve and shop made tooling that is used to swage it in place tightly for a leak proof seal.  Also the bottom side of the head which was a mass of cracks. Still have to cut valve seats and the releifs.

dkmc

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2022, 12:59:04 PM »
Always good to see project pics from your shop, nice work.
Machinist, fabricator, designer, fixer

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2022, 08:22:43 PM »
Wow, the guys that welded that head back together did a great job. Welding cast iron is a very specialized skill as the work piece needs to be heated before welding and then very slowly cooled after, to prevent cracking.
No surprise to see you are busy and doing good work as usual. How is the bump clearance set on the Bamford? I`m guessing shims between the cylinder and crankcase.

Bob

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2022, 05:43:51 PM »
+1,  Fantastic work to fully restore what most would consider scrap.   I didn't realize such serious head defects could be restored, and the amount of highly skilled custom work here is awe inspiring.  Bravo, Butch.

Thanks for taking the time to give us a peek into your busy shop!
Bruce

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2022, 12:54:38 AM »
Bob, The Bamfords cylinder block is all part of the crankcase. Shims are used under the head gasket to set the bump clearance.
Got a couple minutes on the head today before other work drug me away. The valve heads on a Bamfords are set even with the gasket surface. The weld shop bored the ports to size. The first step for me on this welded up head is to lower the valves down a bit prior to cutting seats. I could cut this all the way down with the Neway seat cutters but would be very slow. So I used the guide piloted tooling that I use to install hard seats.  Also shown is the valves sitting in the recesses I cut showing I still have a ways to go with the 45 degree seat cutter. No hard seats will be used on this head.

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2022, 05:38:07 PM »
Nice work once more. Butch.

Cheers
Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2022, 03:47:53 PM »
Cutting the proper 3 angle valve seats with Neway tooling and the valves set to proper depth.

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2022, 03:52:36 PM »
Setting the head and installing pieces. Very satisfying to see this engine about ready to start as its been in the shop 19 months.

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2022, 04:41:24 PM »
I'd forgotten the Bamford is direct injection.  Nice photos, she is a beauty. 

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2022, 10:30:21 AM »
Yes it is a pleasure to see that with the right ability some can resurrect items deemed stuffed. I saw a story of a guy who did a alloy heads for a living and he brought many back from the dead. It certainly is a real talent,well done.
Coopernook - the centre of our Universe.

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2022, 04:13:53 PM »
The Z10 ready to ship, made one phone call and sold it. Its not going to be a toy, will be pumping irrigation water to earn its keep. I removed the period correct fuel filter and added a nice RACOR unit in it's place.

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2022, 07:09:35 PM »
What a beauty.   Great that she's going to be a working engine again!

dkmc

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2022, 11:04:43 PM »
Always great to hear about an engine that's commissioned to do important work.
Machinist, fabricator, designer, fixer