Author Topic: Quinnf and Beta tester LISTEROID pix!!!  (Read 21486 times)

Quinnf

• Rest in peace
    • View Profile
Re: Quinnf and Beta tester LISTEROID pix!!!
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2006, 07:04:20 PM »
Firefox is, I think, the problem.  I'm using IE here at work and the pics look fine.  At home viewed with Firefox, the ones you mention don't show.  That and any time I hit the apostrophe key, Firefox opens a box in the task bar asking me SEARCH FOR _______________?  Irritating.

Quinn
Ashwamegh 6/1, PowerSolutions 6/1 "Kit" engine, and a Changfa R175a that looks like a Yanmar I once knew

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2006, 07:08:05 PM »
Avant Browser  (highly reccomended) shows all the pics fine.

Just for FYI !

On the kits---
   I did some machining on my kit cylinder head and I'm impressed with the quality of the cast iron.  Any time chips come out instead of crumbled cast iron dust you can bet the iron is good.

(I did a cool thermostat conversion...pics will be posted.
7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

bitsnpieces1

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2006, 07:19:12 PM »
bitsandpieces---

I think you're talking about Dykem, not Prussian Blue.

Dykem is a thin, brittle red or blue lacquer used for laying out lines...it's useless for fitting.

Prussian Blue is a medium grease that never dries and is used to show high spots, usually in automotive work, for flatness.

Smoke is the preferred high spot marker for fitting steel parts.  Just wave the part to be fitted over a kerosene flame to darken it and do your fitting.

Could be, it's been a while, but I could swear that what was used in the shop was a fast drying paintable lacquer/nail polish type of stuff.  It was mostly used for laying out lines but we also used it for fitting plates to each other in punch and die work.  At least the cans were labeled that way.  Of course anything that can be 'painted' on, dried and will then rub off easily can be used for the purpose.  The flame blacking is a really good one, even maatches can be made to work. 
Lister Petter AC1, Listeroid 12/1, Briggs & Stratton ZZ, various US Mil. surplus engines. Crosley (American) 4cyl marine engine(26hp).

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2006, 07:31:06 PM »
Dykem just rolls up when parts are slid across it and measures nearly .0003!  Smoke is .0001 if it kills the polish and .00003 if just fogged.

For white marking use  "Chinese White" or "Titanium White"  or mix either one in powder form to white anti-sieze to make it thicker.
  White lead was a stain AND a lubricant and keeps unhardened parts from galling when fitting.  It was used a lot on freshly heat-treated parts blackened by the quench.  You're right, it's hard to find.   I  picked up two cans at a farm sale several years ago.
  BTW--- White lead got it's terrible reputation from plumbers who used it as pipe dope and who also smoked cigarrettes.  The lead on their dirty fingers was inhaled with the tobacco and the affects of heavy metal poisioning was more severe and immediate.
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

Geno

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2006, 10:57:27 PM »
Smoke is the preferred high spot marker for fitting steel parts.  Just wave the part to be fitted over a kerosene flame to darken it and do your fitting.
Brilliant!

http://utterpower.com/beta_tester.htm

George put some security on the page to keep people from stealing/using/borrowing the pics. Firefox has some kind of bug that doesn't allow the pics to display. Do a right click on a pic and see what happens. I use Firefox and it took a while to figure it out.

Thanks, Geno

MeanListerGreen

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2006, 02:34:38 AM »
Anyone care to post the price they paid for their kit engine?

Emerald

Id like to know what they are going for too?  Anyone wanna spill the beans?
MLG Gib Key Pullers

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2006, 02:47:54 AM »
 GO to utterpower.com and ask George.  It's not some super secret but it's a lot like asking "how much is a car?"  There are options and extras and choices and details and shipping and delivery times to talk about and GEORGE is the guy with the answers.

....and he's gone for two weeks.    ;)

There are people in the world that don't keep score by dollars and sometimes dollar prices don't make sense.  I've never figured out yet what my engines have cost in dollars....no clue.  But I know what they cost me.   :)

MeanListerGreen

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2006, 12:22:47 PM »
Well in my opinion if everyone is keeping tight lipped about it I guess it is a secret.  Ive been to Georges sight and nothing there.  I dont see any mention of kit engines.  I was just curious as to what all the hype was about the kit engine and how the prices compared to the assembled ones.  So, pardon me for asking "oh mighty Hero member"
MLG Gib Key Pullers

Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2006, 01:02:26 PM »
I’m trying to think of an appropriate response here….um….um …oh… never mind… ::)

Joe
Nothing is easy...if it were...anybody could do it.

2005 Power Solutions  6/1-ST5

emerald

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2006, 02:10:09 PM »
Ok, lets try it another way.

What have any of you paid for your engine spec. I do not see how difficult it is to answer and if there were ever a good place to get some free advertising, its in here!

Websites without pricing never get my business, they are the seller and I am the buyer. Its a principle that has never failed. The sales people tell you how much, you should not have to chase them for the price. Otherwise it really is a secret.

Emerald

fuddyduddy

« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2006, 02:27:42 PM »
There are no sales people there, and George is gone until 8 September, anyway.

Shh, it IS a secret!

Quinnf

• Rest in peace
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2006, 02:55:40 PM »
Emerald,

I sense your frustration, but since most of us who have been customers of George end up feeling a sense of goodwill and loyalty to him, which should tell you something about how we feel about the transaction and post-sale service, I don't think anyone wants to speak for him.  Just be patient and when he gets back from his vacation submit an e-mail request and you'll receive a price quote so long as you don't blow it by coming across as having an attitude problem. 

Quinn
Ashwamegh 6/1, PowerSolutions 6/1 "Kit" engine, and a Changfa R175a that looks like a Yanmar I once knew

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2006, 03:16:25 PM »
......remember when an interview was required before you could 'adopt' a Cabbage Patch doll?
 ;D ;D

Do you have a regular supply of clean fuel at your house?

You DO have a shelter, right?

Have you got more than that old Tiawanese crescent wrench for tools??

THere  IS  a difference in dealers that try to shove products out the door and those that are trying to develop a market for the long haul.
    Patience and communication is the best way.

JohnF13

• View Profile
    • woodnstuff
« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2006, 03:38:15 PM »
The reason why most of us don't post prices on our websites is that it is almost the final consideration - well before I get to that stage I need to be comfortable that you can and will be able to "work with" a Listeroid.  It's part of what I do.  Quite frankly, if price is your primary factor then neither I, nor many other of the "reputable" dealers, will sell you an engine anyway as you are probably going to be much more trouble than you are worth.........

My prices are not secret, I will happily provide anyone with a quote if asked - but if you come back and say that someone else will sell it to you cheaper so I have to match it I just won't answer you.

Don't like it?  Feel free to shop elsewhere!

John F.
John F
2 x 6/1 JKSON.  1 x 10/1 JKSON, 1 x 27hp Changfa, 1 x 28hp AG295, 1 genuine 1939 SOM, a couple of others in test mode and a Hercules Multu-fuel still in the box.

emerald

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2006, 04:23:13 PM »
Thank you for the prompt reply gentlemen.

There is smatterings of policital correctness in this thread and getting a striaght answer not so easy. A simple question about a price should get a simple answer even if by PM (hint). The price it now transpires is indeed highly secret and well guarded. I bought my last genuine CS for 125.....Oops was not meant to say that :)

I have no intention of buying an engine from George, I dont live in the US and while I dont know the guy at all, everything I hear about him is positive and his 'ways' are somewhat like my own. My original question is a simple and honest one, no hidden adgenda. What someone charges for their engines wont cause me to say good or bad about them or their product. My own purchasing is not done on price alone, it is a combination of brand, availability or lead time, service, dealer communication and price.

The valid points some of you make for dealing with the right type of person to sell and an engine to is important, from your commercial perspective. I have plenty experience with engines going back over 30 years and seen plenty of right and wrong. I got a workshop full of genuine CS and petter engines, I dont need anymore but I continue picking them up cheap here because I like to work on old engines and put them back into service, plain and simple.

Much on price and Indian manufacturer information has already been posted in this forum, lets not forget this price information is far more sensitive than the US retail price. The Indian manufacturers have been very decent to allow such data stay there in my opinion.

If an engine is good, we post so. If it is bad, we also post this. People must know about the engines and parts because there is precious little in the way of help for any new customer, by the same token we should extend the same knowledge about any Indigenous supplier and give the Indian manufacturers the same and unbiased treatment.

Do we continue to ignore and dance around this price question and not afford the Indian manufactures no such price protection at the same time?

Emerald