Puppeteer

Author Topic: Quinnf and Beta tester LISTEROID pix!!!  (Read 21458 times)

twombo

• View Profile
Quinnf and Beta tester LISTEROID pix!!!
« on: August 25, 2006, 10:16:04 PM »
Yo Quinnf!

I'm dying to see the final installment of pix on the Beta tester Listeroid!!! Could you post them here? Loved your writeup, but sure would like to see  the pix too!!

Mike

Quinnf

• Rest in peace
    • View Profile
Re: Quinnf and Beta tester LISTEROID pix!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2006, 02:39:27 AM »
What's to see?  The last pics I sent George were of the engine running, and a Listeroid running looks pretty much like one just sitting there being green. 
All the pics should be on George's site.  If there's somehting in particular you'd like to see, let me know and I'll see what I can do for you.

I don't know that it's appropriate for me to post any more about it here.  I don't want to appear to be shilling for him.  If you're having trouble seeing the pics on his site, I had the same problem when using the Firefox web browser.  Internet Explorer displays the pics better, but IE has security problems that I'd like to avoid.

Quinn
Ashwamegh 6/1, PowerSolutions 6/1 "Kit" engine, and a Changfa R175a that looks like a Yanmar I once knew

xyzer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2006, 07:15:45 AM »
Quinn,
How smooth was it?
Dave
Vidhata 6/1 portable
Power Solutions portable 6/1
Z482 KUBOTA

Quinnf

• Rest in peace
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2006, 03:48:54 AM »
Plenty smooth.  My Ashwamegh 6/1 is smoother than most engines.  [edit:  I got lucky.  They're not all that way.]  I can run it sitting on the concrete shop floor and it stays put.  I have the Ashwamegh mounted on a heavy steel angle and 4x6 lumber stand which is supported by 4  5" swivel casters on the smooth concrete floor.  The stand weighs about 200 lbs.  When the Ashwamegh is running, there is very little movement of the engine or the  stand.  The other day I suspended a wax marking pencil on a steady rest and slowly brought it up to the spinning flywheel.  When the pencil touched the flywheel, it left a continuous mark about 3/4 of the way around the circumference of the flywheel.  So for reference that should give you an idea of how smooth the Ashwamegh is.

For its First Smoke test I placed the Kit Engine on the generator stand and bolted it down. 
After I finished chasing all the zillion little air bubbles out of the fuel lines, it started up and once I adjusted the governor spring to 650 rpm it ran just as smooth as the Ashwamegh.  Possibly even a little smoother, but no rougher.  The engine made all the same noises as the Ashwamegh which I have spent a lot of time working on.  There were really no issues with the kit engine.  It went together just as it should.

However, that said, these engines do come from India, and even the experienced importers like George are surprised by what seem to us totally unexplainable changes in the much quoted Indian Standard.  So your mileage may vary. 

I put this engine together for the folks at Utterpower because they wanted to see what would happen when an experienced tinker, not a  Professonal Wrench, was presented with a bunch of parts.  How long would it take to assemble, and what would he notice on the way up.  That sort of thing. 

Old Silver is back on the generator stand and I'm in the process of scoping out the balance on the flywheels of the Beta Test engine now.  Some ideas hadn't quite gelled when I was playing with the Ashwamegh and I want to play around with ways to possibly make an already smooth running engine even smoother.

Hope that helps,

Quinn

« Last Edit: August 27, 2006, 03:57:28 AM by Quinnf »
Ashwamegh 6/1, PowerSolutions 6/1 "Kit" engine, and a Changfa R175a that looks like a Yanmar I once knew

xyzer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2006, 04:18:42 AM »
Quinn,
Yes it did help...I am going to guess if there is a balance issue it sounds like it will be a minor one! My Vidhata was exactly as described in the CD...!!!! Bolt it down before you start it. I will still check it out before I finish the assembly mostly because it is half apart already. It sounds like all of the Indian buggers may have been addresed. We will see........
Thanks Quinn!
Dave
Vidhata 6/1 portable
Z482 KUBOTA

Quinnf

• Rest in peace
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2006, 05:21:45 AM »
Dave,

You can also read Jack's impressions elsewhere as he puts his kit engine together.  From what I've read so far, his observations are similar to mine.  This concept will work well for people who know what to look for and who have some experience rebuilding engines.  Working on motorcycles, cars, even a lawnmower is good preparation.  Things like how to torque a head, how to drive studs and how and where to use assembly lubricant are the level of skills required if all goes well.  Where I don't envy Utterpower is when some utterly clueless individual wants to build one of these, hasn't the first idea how to proceed, represents himself as someone who has more experience than he really does, purchases a kit, and then wants the vendor on the other end of the telephone line to walk him through it.  It ain't rocket surgery, but it isn't for someone who has to think twice about which way to turn a wrench to tighten a bolt, either.  For that reason, I think George is careful to make sure the buyer is up to the task before he sells him any parts.  Some folks have said they felt like they were being interviewed, however that's just George making sure nobody is going to get into deep water without knowing how to swim.

Quinn

emerald

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2006, 06:38:17 PM »
What sort of money do the kit engines make?

Emerald

Quinnf

• Rest in peace
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2006, 08:48:32 PM »
I haven't heard.  Check out the Utterpower.com site and look for kit engines.  It should be there or available via e-mail quote.

Quinn

Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2006, 12:55:52 PM »
It ain't rocket surgery, but it isn't for someone who has to think twice about which way to turn a wrench to tighten a bolt, either.

Rigthy Tighty…Lefty Losey…I’m good to go … ;)

Joe
Nothing is easy...if it were...anybody could do it.

2005 Power Solutions  6/1-ST5

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2006, 03:33:40 PM »
What *I* want to know is---  Do you have to be a 'rocket scientist' before you're a 'rocket surgeon'??

What Quinn said-- These kit parts are MUCH better than what I found opening the FuKing crate, but the Indians can still throw in a surprise that just makes NO sense at all.

Yesterday I was working on the head and fitting the thermostat and opened the plastic package of studs.  The  #&%#  Indians packed THAT package with enough sand to eat the engine and have some left over!!   Of course some had leaked out of the little slits the threads wear in plastic, so I had one box of parts that had to be washed and checked out throughly.
   The kit is THE way to go as long as you know how it's SUPPOSED to be.  Don't assume the makers got it right quite yet.  So-far there's been VERY little to criticize and a lot to praise.
7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

Quinnf

• Rest in peace
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2006, 04:17:12 PM »
Leave the door open and look who walks in!

Rocket Scientists and Rocket Sturgeons bank at the same credit union, so I think they're similar.   ;)

I'm getting the impression that most of the problems with the Indian engines has more to do with assembly than anything else.  However warped tappets, parts with dings from being dropped, poorly machined surfaces all figure in to the mix and you should watch for such things.  Like Jack, I was very impressed by the quality of the components.  Little things like the quality of the nuts and bolts and studs were far better than what I got on my first engine. 

A big advantage of assembling the kit is that you're more likely to spot a problem with a part when you're putting the engine together yourself.  And while doing so, it's much easier to check the fit, adjust and polish on the way up.  The only problem I encountered was the paint-goobered tappets. 

Jack, one thing to be alert for is the cam timing might be off; don't assume that the bottom end will be correctly timed when you get it.  Remember, it's a kit.  The parts in the bottom end are just assembled, and not necessarily correctly timed.  The Beta Test engine was two teeth off on the idler gear when I got it.  I had to pull the idler gear, rotate the crank 90 degrees, then reinsert the idler gear to get it right.  It took just a few minutes but had I assembled the engine and cranked it over vigorously, there could have been an unfortunate collision between the piston and valves.

Quinn

« Last Edit: August 29, 2006, 04:39:12 PM by Quinnf »

rpg52

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2006, 05:27:17 PM »
Quinn,
Is there a link to a website with photos?  I couldn't find it on the Utterpower site.
Ray
PS Listeroid 6/1, 5 kW ST, Detroit Diesel 3-71, Belsaw sawmill, 12 kW ST head, '71 GMC 3/4 T, '79 GMC 1T, '59 IH T-340

xyzer

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2006, 06:22:17 PM »
Ray,
Look here....  http://utterpower.com/beta_tester.htm

and here......

Received my kit from Joel last week. My first experience with lister type engines.
https://home.comcast.net/~jtfri/pics/Lister/index.html

Weighed the two flywheels on a digital bathroom scale:
wheel A: 142 pounds no drill holes
wheel B: 141 pounds with one drill hole

On the web page of one of the manufacturers:
http://www.poweranand.com/diesel_engine.htm

there are two small thumbnails of what looks like balancing a flywheel:
http://www.poweranand.com/images/Img_0378.jpg
and drilling the flywheel
http://www.poweranand.com/IMAGES/100_0033.jpg

HTH
John

Dave
Vidhata 6/1 portable
Z482 KUBOTA

Quinnf

• Rest in peace
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2006, 06:26:50 PM »
Yeah, what Dave said.

George's site is an adventure to navigate.  Best to start at the NAVIGATE THIS SITE link on the first page of the website. 
http://www.utterpower.com/Navigate.htm

Quinn

dkwflight

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2006, 12:06:46 AM »
 HEY At least they packed the sand separately   ;D
28/2 powersolutions JKSon -20k gen head
Still in devlopment for 24/7 operation, 77 hours running time