Author Topic: Lifting up a twin Listeroid  (Read 911 times)

keith71

• View Profile
Lifting up a twin Listeroid
« on: October 28, 2022, 12:29:05 PM »
Hello, I am wondering the correct way to pickup a Listeroid Twin.  I have an engine hoist and a pickup truck towing a low height trailer.  Main question is what is the best way to strap or chain it from the hoist to engine. Are the flywheels a safe place to lift from? A couple of straps from the crankshaft ends? I would be worried about bending crankshaft doing it like that

I only need to lift it about 3 feet off the ground to get it on trailer. Engine hoist should be ok for that it is a 2 ton hoist..
 Only have forklift access during unloading. 
How have you guys rigged up one of these for lifting up? Thank you.
12/2 Field Marshall
Jiangdong R170.

38ac

• View Profile
Re: Lifting up a twin Listeroid
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2022, 01:42:20 PM »
You cannot lift at the crankshaft or flywheels unless you rig some way to keep the engine from rotating as it is heavier above than below the crankshaft. I lift them two ways. You can remove one cylinder head nut on each head and weld up a cross bar and lifting eye that bolts down on the studs. Or one can lift the engines with straps choked around the cylinder blocks which has become my preferred method. I use endless straps about 6 foot long one on each side . Go around just under the intake exhaust ports. Be certain you are behind the push rods and fuel pipes.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2022, 06:01:45 AM »
Best not to lift with a strap around the crankshaft. Some engines have a lifting point or you can make them lifting points by removing the bolt and screwing in an eye bolt. As 38C suggested a pair of straps around the cylinder then to the hook. I have a tendency to loop one end through the loop at the opposite end so as the weight takes up the straps tighten on the block. I do this with 2 straps ensuring I am not squashing something. You will find it easier if you keep the mounting points of the straps high to keep the weight down low. Good luck with your retrieval.
Coopernook - the centre of our Universe.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2022, 12:07:27 PM »
We have moved these around a lot of differing ways... Best one I've seen as used by some very clever Amish folk - steel bolt-on lifting eyes on each cylinder block.

Basically, keeping the center of gravity below your lifting point is the key requirement. No fun having one tip over!

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations