Author Topic: JP3 in Narrowboat Smoke and Oiling  (Read 1015 times)

Papster

• View Profile
JP3 in Narrowboat Smoke and Oiling
« on: October 17, 2022, 03:32:34 PM »
Hi,

I am running a jP3 in a narrowboat and am currently on the River Stort.  It has been shallow/weedy and places (deep draught)  so the engine has been loaded up more than normal.  This has been exacerbated by weed regularly wrapping around the prop causing even more drag (and load). The result is more smoke than usual (expected?) but also a lot of oil has been spraying out the vertical exhaust. There was actually pools of oil around the base of the exhaust (on the roof). Is this what you would expect when under heavy load?

I was advised, at purchase, to oil the rockers/valves etc and fill the cylinder head recess prior to each start, which I do. The manual only says to do this after a service/starting first time etc. Is it necessary to do this every time given that each running day is, at most, 4-5 hours and never at full revs?  I sometimes wonder whether I am giving her too much oil although I do keep an eye on the dipstick level.

Any advice/experience welcome.

Cheers

Steve

cujet

• Lister power rules!
    • View Profile
    • www.cujet.com
Re: JP3 in Narrowboat Smoke and Oiling
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2022, 08:49:17 PM »
These engines are known to slobber (a highly technical term) when they have not been loaded heavily for quite some time. AND/OR if too much oil is placed in the valve area.
People who count on their fingers should maintain a discreet silence

Papster

• View Profile
Re: JP3 in Narrowboat Smoke and Oiling
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2022, 05:46:46 PM »
Thanks Cujet,

I have been oiling the valves each morning (per advice) but actually decided to leave it for today’s 4 hr run. A bit early to tell but I think it did run slightly cleaner today.  I suspect I will be burning off the existing residue for a while.  The biggest problem is the unburnt oil that is spitting out.