Lister Engines > Listeroid Engines

Fuel System question

(1/2) > >>

BruceM:
I'm about to install my Metro Lister 6/1 in a new generator shed and need some fuel system advice.

I was thinking of running the injector overflow line all the way back to the (proposed) 50 gallon drum fuel tank;  this would seem to avoid air injection into the fuel line which would make fuel line bleeding less of a chore when changing fuel filters, etc.

Any words of wisdom regarding using 50 gallon drums for gravity fuel tanks?

Thanks!
Bruce McCreary
Snowflake, AZ

hotater:
  Drums make good tanks if you have a ladder to climb to re-fill it.. :o

I ran the return line to the top of the fuel filter instead of all the way back to the tank.  It makes a shorter run and it helps pre-heat the fuel a little in the winter time.

Joe:
Hi Bruce,
I’m in the early stages of setting up a 6/1-ST5 and it sounds as if we are (again) dealing with a lot of the same components and questions.  I’ve collected a lot of parts and am now in the process of putting them together.  

I also have a number of questions and would like to hear a few opinions on fuel set-ups.  
Storage in the shed to keep moisture out and temperature swings to a minimum? Or outside covered storage to make more room in the shed.  (I dealing with a 275 gal home heating oil tank.) Plumb it as Bruce is thinking with over flow back to the big tank? Then again is a direct connection to a big tank not a good idea…would hate to fatigue that one critical connection at the engine and end up spilling a whole lot of fuel. Keep the big tank as standalone and filter it separately?  Transfer fuel 8-10 gallons at a time as needed.

What is the conventional wisdom on fuel storage/filtering/usage?

Joe

n2toh:

--- Quote from: Joe on December 31, 2005, 03:07:36 PM ---Hi Bruce,
I’m in the early stages of setting up a 6/1-ST5 and it sounds as if we are (again) dealing with a lot of the same components and questions.  I’ve collected a lot of parts and am now in the process of putting them together.  

I also have a number of questions and would like to hear a few opinions on fuel set-ups.  
Storage in the shed to keep moisture out and temperature swings to a minimum? Or outside covered storage to make more room in the shed.  (I dealing with a 275 gal home heating oil tank.) Plumb it as Bruce is thinking with over flow back to the big tank? Then again is a direct connection to a big tank not a good idea…would hate to fatigue that one critical connection at the engine and end up spilling a whole lot of fuel. Keep the big tank as standalone and filter it separately?  Transfer fuel 8-10 gallons at a time as needed.

What is the conventional wisdom on fuel storage/filtering/usage?

Joe

--- End quote ---

there are simple ways to stop that kind of spill, one way is to put a 120V solonoid at the 275 gal tank and power it from the gen gead. If the feeder hose breaks and the engine stops than the soloniod will close the fuel supply.

hotater:
Fueling is a hassle here, too.

I have a 2000 gallon above ground tank that's plumbed for the big gensets.  The Lister has it's own nine gallon (old propane) tank that I re-fill with jerry cans.
   I have about 60 gallons worth of fuel cans, so I pick a nice day and siphon from the big tank into the smaller ones for the Lister.  I add a couple ounces of fuel suppliment at each Lister fill-up, too.  I've never had any problems at all with moisture or debris in the engine but catch a lot in the filters.

I've just gotten, but not yet picked up, a 300 gallon 'tower tank' for home heating use.  I'm going to place it near the big 30Kw gensets and run the return line from them to the 300 gallon tank.  That'll give me storage for 'polished' fuel that's easier to get to.

I LIKE the solenoid idea...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version