Puppeteer

Author Topic: Waste heat to power absorber AC/ice box or 15% more power?  (Read 4553 times)

n2toh

• View Profile
Waste heat to power absorber AC/ice box or 15% more power?
« on: December 31, 2005, 07:42:11 PM »
After reading how an ammonia based cooling system works I'm curios as to if we can run such a system from the waste heat from our listeroids.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2006, 03:31:56 AM by n2toh »
About 60 years is all it takes to make science fiction a reality.

hotater

• View Profile
Re: Waste heat to power absorber AC/ice box?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2005, 11:39:41 PM »
I thought of that.....in fact, one of my first 'How come...?' was why aren't car AC units run from the heat of the manifold. (it's gotta be stationary, BUT they work in sail boats.  Go figure.

Having just become the proud owner of a 1944 vintage Servel-Electrolux, propane refrigerator that last ran in a sheep camp in 1968....I got real interested in them.  It takes 335 degrees to make it work.  That's doable on the exhaust, but not for the cooling water.

It took a while to find these links, but they show the process AND sell parts and pieces to make your own.

http://www.rvmobile.com/
http://nucold.com/

<side note>  My grandad was an 'observer' of the strange, odd and unusual..... "Why are Blackberries red?  Because they're still green."
  He noticed in 1958 that Ford was advertizing heavily about their 'rattle-free bodies' and solid cars, when everybody knew they started rattling at the first RR track from the showroom.  He said always look critically at what the advertizers tell you...what they tout is usually a problem.
  Check out the Servel-Electrolux refrig. ads of the '30s and '40s.  All about how quiet they are. "Quiet as a dawn at sea...",  "The best neighbor a family ever had...".  "You can whisper in the kitchen now!"..   
    DON'T believe it!  This thing sounds like a weed burner for the first ten hours then tapers off to a sound like a BBQ on high, but it makes things COLD..... in fact it's still freezing Diet Cokes on 'low', so I may have the wrong jets in it. ???
7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

rpg52

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2006, 12:20:10 AM »
Hotater,
I used a Servel for ~5 years (now in temporary retirement) and it was quieter than any electric 'fridge I ever had.  The only problem I ever had with it was heating the ?"draft tube" that drew the flame sideways.  Until it got hot, the flame would burn straight up because there wasn't any draw.  Yours sounds like it has larger jets than it should - or, your propane regulator is cranked a little too high.  I'm not sure of the age of mine, pre-1950 I think.  It was originally set for natural gas - I had different jets installed for propane and used it until I got power.  It maintained a reliable ~40 degrees or so, unless the wind gusted too hard and it occasionally blew out.  It's resting in a shed until I need it again.  I've also got a little mini fridge from the '60's that works on either 12 or 120 volts.  It just has a heating element that runs the refridge part.  I'm not sure how hot it gets, but it doesn't seem all that hot.  I don't pretend to be an expert on any of this though.
Ray
PS Listeroid 6/1, 5 kW ST, Detroit Diesel 3-71, Belsaw sawmill, 12 kW ST head, '71 GMC 3/4 T, '79 GMC 1T, '59 IH T-340

n2toh

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2006, 03:30:03 AM »
I thought of that.....in fact, one of my first 'How come...?' was why aren't car AC units run from the heat of the manifold. (it's gotta be stationary, BUT they work in sail boats.  Go figure.

Having just become the proud owner of a 1944 vintage Servel-Electrolux, propane refrigerator that last ran in a sheep camp in 1968....I got real interested in them.  It takes 335 degrees to make it work.  That's doable on the exhaust, but not for the cooling water.

It took a while to find these links, but they show the process AND sell parts and pieces to make your own.

http://www.rvmobile.com/
http://nucold.com/

<side note>  My grandad was an 'observer' of the strange, odd and unusual..... "Why are Blackberries red?  Because they're still green."
  He noticed in 1958 that Ford was advertizing heavily about their 'rattle-free bodies' and solid cars, when everybody knew they started rattling at the first RR track from the showroom.  He said always look critically at what the advertizers tell you...what they tout is usually a problem.
  Check out the Servel-Electrolux refrig. ads of the '30s and '40s.  All about how quiet they are. "Quiet as a dawn at sea...",  "The best neighbor a family ever had...".  "You can whisper in the kitchen now!"..   
    DON'T believe it!  This thing sounds like a weed burner for the first ten hours then tapers off to a sound like a BBQ on high, but it makes things COLD..... in fact it's still freezing Diet Cokes on 'low', so I may have the wrong jets in it. ???

It's funny you mention the car AC as I was just talking about that over dinner with my family. 335 degrees you say dang there goes my idea of using the cooling water from the riod. I'll check what temps litium bromide needs to operate.

one site I was on claimed their chiller needs 10~12K BTU per ton of cooling, So a 6/1 could produce 1.5 to 2 tons of cooling, and a 12/2 upto 4 tons. BTW typical central air systems are 3 to 4 tons.

Another option may be to use the system as a heat pump in the winter, basicaly running to system backward cooling the outside and heating your house. from what I understand the electric AC/heat 4 ton system I have has a 3:1 ratio when heating.

Indirect-fired, double-effect absorption chillers require steam at around 370 degrees F and 115 psig (190 degrees C and 900 kPa), while the less efficient (but also less expensive) single-effect chillers require hot water or steam at only 167-270 degrees F (75-132 degrees C).

Looks like we could setup a hybred two stage system using the exhaust, and the coolent for some free AC ;D.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2006, 05:46:11 AM by n2toh »

n2toh

• View Profile
Re: Waste heat to power absorber AC/ice box or more power?
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2006, 02:13:17 AM »
I read here http://www.energy-concepts.com/abprocess.html that they use Absorption chillers to boost the power output of turbine generators by 15%.