Lister Engines > Lister Based Generators

Recommissioning a Lister ST2 with Brush Generator

<< < (6/6)

dieselspanner:
Hi Tom

I've been running a single cylinder Hatz all summer - about 700 hours, so far - with 20% filtered wvo. I discovered a bad attack of diesel bug last week end, the exhaust is a bit sooty, other than that, no problems.

Here's a good, concise brief on diesel bug

https://conidia.com/diesel-bug/#1576146601791-21bb4c02-2c33

The diesel bug contamination is almost certainly lack of attention to detail on my part, I just didn't give it a thought.....

The tank is in a lovely warm spot, next to the genny and veg oil is a great source of vitamins for the bug, it was almost bound to happen

I'm using red diesel / heating oil that had sat in an underground tank for a couple of years, I've now had a good clean out, new filter and am conditioning the fuel with a proprietary marine additive, I'm also looking more closely at what's in the ready use tank!

Somewhere on here, someone posted the results of a lubricity test in the US, I think, with with proprietary additives, and straight soya oil was as good or better than almost all of the competition and way cheaper.

I would say, as it's going to be a standby unit,  add a little, 3 / 5% veg oil for lubrication and a fuel conditioner for protection.

A valve in the supply from the tank allowing to you to draw off any condensation at the bottom of the tank and check a small jam jar of fuel would be a worthwhile addition. as would a CAV 296 type filter with a glass (see through) sediment bowl.

Cheers
Stef

ajaffa1:
Hi Stef, I`ve always been amazed that anything can live and grow in diesel. The same thing can happen with Kerosene. I remember having to clean out fuel tanks on the old Vulcan bombers. Confined space, toxic/ explosive environment and a pressure washer rubber suit and breathing apparatus. Lovely job!  :laugh:
I`ve never had a problem with the diesel in Australia, I think the fuel emission rules are much less stringent so we are probably still using high sulfur fuels. Not so sure about our petrol, most countries removed the lead years ago because it is toxic and makes people stupid. Sadly they replaced it with benzine which is carcinogenic and makes people dead.

Bob

TGC61:
Hi Stef

The last time the tank on mine was filled was in about 2003. The engine started on that fuel on the second turn. Lat time about twelve years ago. The tank was about half full and seems to be in good condition. It was obviously pre all the bio diesel additives etc etc. My only problem has been that there was a lot of sludge in the base, not sure what that was but it included a degree of corroded metal I think. Scraping the base of the tank revealed or created three or four pin holes which I've now filled with a full tank specific filler so hoping that will be that!

Tom

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version