Puppeteer

Author Topic: Catalytic converter to reduce exhaust odor  (Read 6623 times)

cujet

• Lister power rules!
    • View Profile
    • www.cujet.com
Re: Catalytic converter to reduce exhaust odor
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2020, 11:16:33 PM »
Any thoughts on where I can find a cheap diesel catalyst that is "real". I can't imagine the $90 diesel catalysts on ebay have any precious metals in them.

Are you really sure you want to try this.

Catalyst poisoning refers to the partial or total deactivation of a catalyst by a chemical compound..

Sure, I'm willing to try it, as long as the cost is reasonable.

People who count on their fingers should maintain a discreet silence

cujet

• Lister power rules!
    • View Profile
    • www.cujet.com
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2020, 11:20:40 PM »
Personally I think your barking up the wrong tree, engine timing, dirty air filter, worn injector needle or incorrect pop off pressure would allow excessive fuel into the cylinder.

Thanks, but I'm aware of the above. The engine runs cleanly, with invisible exhaust. The problem is that I'm very sensitive to it.

Case in point, my Jetta TDI developed a small leak at the EGR cooler shaft seal and I couldn't stand driving it. I'm that sensitive to it. That's a clean engine with modern controls too.

snowman18

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2020, 11:58:42 PM »
Personally I think your barking up the wrong tree, engine timing, dirty air filter, worn injector needle or incorrect pop off pressure would allow excessive fuel into the cylinder.

Thanks, but I'm aware of the above. The engine runs cleanly, with invisible exhaust. The problem is that I'm very sensitive to it.

Case in point, my Jetta TDI developed a small leak at the EGR cooler shaft seal and I couldn't stand driving it. I'm that sensitive to it. That's a clean engine with modern controls too.

Didn't V.W. fiddle with the emissions software. perhaps you should thank them for your having developed a sensitivity to the sulfur in diesel fuel.

Even the ultra low sulfur diesel fuel may contain as much as 1000 ppm.

This fuel is known as ultra-low sulfur diesel (ULSD). ... The sulfur content of the fuel used in marine vessels operating in these ECAs may not exceed 0.10 weight percent (1000 ppm).
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 05:47:00 AM by snowman18 »

cujet

• Lister power rules!
    • View Profile
    • www.cujet.com
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2020, 06:15:00 PM »
I ordered the following diesel catalytic converter, with a metallic substrate. The metallic version is supposed to be a bit more robust and much lower restriction. I hope it shows up as the part may be obsolete. If this works out, I may purchase a larger unit for my 20/2 Listeroid. It should make the engine a touch quieter too. Although, I use an automotive muffler and it's pretty quiet.

"Magnaflow 53004DM_Metallic Substrate Diesel Catalytic Converter"

EDIT: Foiled! Order cancelled by vendor. Ugh. The search continues.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 07:35:52 PM by cujet »

gusbratz

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2020, 12:13:57 PM »
I also hate the smell of diesel, I hate it when I get stuck behind a big truck when I am on my motorcycle going up a grade and you just have to smell it stinking. That being said I haven't' been bothered by my 8/1 when it is running the whole house during power outages. It does seem to be more offensive when I am running the house on the lister and the outside air is real cold and dry like -15*F.  I like glorts' idea. If I get bothered by mine I will just build a stack and get the emission up above me. seems like that was the low tech solution all through the industrial revolution for coal fired mills and such. For what it's worth I do have the listerish recommended 3'X4' brick below ground exhaust box built. it is absolutely astounding how quiet it is. you can kneel down on the ground and put your ear up to it and barley hear the exhaust.

cujet

• Lister power rules!
    • View Profile
    • www.cujet.com
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2022, 05:36:32 PM »
I thought I'd bump this subject. I've been unable to find a cheap Diesel Oxidation Catalyst. I still want one.

vdubnut62

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2022, 02:01:10 AM »
Hey Cujet, Bob G and I discussed this idea a while back, but I was angling to raise exhaust temps for a pseudo-cogen system I have been working on for a few years. Unfortunately I had a bad fall in March and have been unable to pursue pretty much anything since.
 I pretty well trashed my shoulder and cracked an orbital socket. I'm 60 and don't heal so fast anymore!
   At any rate PM him, he sent me links to a few promising units IIRC.
Ron.
"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."   Plato.

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

veggie

• Keep Calm and Start the Lister !
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2022, 07:12:55 PM »
Cujet,

Any update?
Also, have you considered running waste vegetable oil ? The fumes are not as offensive.
- 6/1 GM90 Listeroid - Delco 33si Alternator
- Changfa R175 - Lease/Neville Alternator
- JiangDong R165 Air cooled - 2 kw
- Changfa S195 (Waiting for a project)

cujet

• Lister power rules!
    • View Profile
    • www.cujet.com
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2022, 11:40:00 PM »
No updates, sorry. I simply can't find a reasonably priced Diesel Oxidation Catalyst.