Author Topic: Lister LT1 1975  (Read 1157 times)

busters

• View Profile
Lister LT1 1975
« on: September 05, 2022, 06:00:46 PM »
Could the shim thickness of the fuel pump affect the compression of the LT engine?
The fuel pump is a Bryce FAOAN.
Having bought the non working engine as a project for my grandson we found the fuel pump was not working. Stripping and cleaning it worked OK.
The engine started and ran for around 1 minute, lots of black smoke, and then stopped. Trying to restart was impossible due to very high compression and kickback.
It is possible we mislaid one layer of shim when refitting pump, would this affect the engine compression or just the fuel supply timing?
If this is not the case what could the other possibilities be ? When decompressed the engine turns easily with no knocking.
Any help appreciated, thanks

Diesel Engineering

• View Profile
Re: Lister LT1 1975
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2022, 03:11:33 AM »
The thickness of the fuel pump shims will have no effect whatsoever on the compression. But as you say it will affect the timing. This could cause smoke and kickback when trying to start. Would suggest you check the spill timing  of the pump.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2022, 08:51:51 AM »
Hi Busters, I think this is an over fueling problem , judging by the black smoke. I think I would be pulling the fuel injector out and doing a spray pattern/pop pressure test on it.
Some Lister engines have a deliberate over fueling option for cold starting, this should be disengaged immediately the engine is running. I don`t know if this applies to an LT1. Please see the attached photo of my SR1. As the lever is, it is in run mode, you push the lever down to cut off fuel to stop the engine. To cold start the engine pull the lever up until it is in the vertical position.
Hope this helps.

Bob

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2022, 09:07:53 AM »
Sorry, the picture shows the lever in fuel off position. lift it a little and it is in governor/throttle control position, vertical is over fueling for cold start. Apologies, I haven`t had much time to play with these toys recently.

Bob

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2022, 11:37:47 AM »
Same idea for the cold start position on my SR2
Coopernook - the centre of our Universe.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2022, 12:44:39 PM »
Hi Cobbadog, saw your post about painting stuff for the show. I`m guessing that was the rusty iron in Macksville. I hope you all had a good time despite the wet weather and mud. I wish I could have been there but a bit of a drive from Tasmania. Maybe next year.

Bob

busters

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2022, 05:14:45 PM »
Thanks for all your advice, will give it a go.

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2022, 05:28:38 AM »
Hi bob, yes the RIR is our Club rally and although it would have been dryer standing under a waterfall on Saturday we got to have some playtime on Sunday. David the tractor had to tow a few toys out of compounds and our caravan as well and he looked like he was the target of a shit throwing contest by the time he went back onto Lorry. Having said that it was a great time catching up with mates we haven't seen in a long time and made some new contacts as well.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2022, 09:15:04 AM »
Hi Cobbadog, a tractor without mud is  an ornament! Glad you had a good time, I`ll try to get up there in a year or two.

Bob

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2022, 11:51:23 AM »
Organising our trip to the Clarendon Classic tomorrow

Willw

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2022, 03:40:20 PM »
Hi busters, it sounds to me like your injector nozzle is stuck open. Excess fuel would explain the black smoke and high compression.

Remove the HP line, bleed off line, valve cover and injector.
Reconnect the HP line to the pump and injector but with the injector outside of the engine where you can see the nozzle.
Turn the engine switch On and with the line lightened at the pump and loose at the injector, bleed the HP line until you are sure that fuel is reaching the injector by rotating the engine.
Tighten line at injector when you see fuel dripping as you turn.
Keeping yourself and everyone around you away and observing all safety protocols when dealing with high pressure injectors crank the engine while observing the fuel spray at the nozzle.
No fuel: nozzle stuck closed.
Obvious Streaming: nozzle stuck open.
Appears normal: Verify by turning engine slowly by hand. Spray should appear as an instantaneous mist with no dripping or streaming.

Let us know your findings.
Daily driver '97 GMC W4 tipper on WVO/Kerosene mix.
6/1 clone standby generator.
Too many projects.